Please help! At my wits end

Honestly I'm not exactly sure where to post this because I don't know which component is causing the issue. I'll go through what's happening and if I should post elsewhere please let me know.

Equipment:
2019 TCL 6 Series 65R625 TV
Vizio SB36514-G6 sound bar
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k Bluray player

Sound bar connected via HDMI cable to the ARC HDMI port 4 on the TV.
Panasonic connected to the sound bar HDMI in.
Xbox One X connected to HDMI 1 on the TV.

I had some issues initially with getting the TV to show that the Bluray player was connected. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Many times the picture would show on the TV and flash between the movie and asking if a device was connected to the HDMI port.
Magically it started working and finally consistently worked. It was good for several months.

Recently I disconnected the Bluray player to move it and reconnected it with the same HDMI cable. Now when trying to play a 4K Bluray that I've played on it before it either doesn't read it and the TV asks if a device is connected to the HDMI port or sometimes it will briefly flash between the movie picture and device not connected screen before not reading the device at all.

The Bluray player did work with the 4K movie when I plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI 2 on the TV instead of the HDMI port on the sound bar.

When I tried to play a regular Bluray movie with the Bluray player connected to HDMI 2, however, the picture worked but the sound stutters.

The Xbox played the Bluray fine but has had issues with several 4K Blurays in the past which is why I got the Panny.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? All I want is to connect the 4K player to the soundbar to get lossless Atmos but I can't tell if there's an incompatibility or there's something wrong with one of my components. I've had some other issues with the soundbar recently (sound kept cutting in and out and CEC no longer works to let me control the soundbar audio with the TV remote) so I'm inclined to think it's the problem but because it all works sometimes I can't figure out for the life of me what's wrong. Each manufacturer just puts it off on another component. Thanks for any help. I miss the days where you could just plug something in and it'd work!

Edit: I just had it magically working for about 15 minutes and thought all was good again. Now I'm just getting sound but no picture. The screen will flicker every so often like it's trying to get a signal but nothing is there. It does show "Dolby Vision" in the top right of the screen like it would when you initially play Dolby Vision content.This is with the Bluray player going to HDMI In on the sound bar.

When I connected the Bluray player to HDMI 2 the picture came up. There must be an issue with a component, right? It all seems to work so intermittently.

Last edited:

keithwiggins

Honestly I'm not exactly sure where to post this because I don't know which component is causing the issue. I'll go through what's happening and if I should post elsewhere please let me know.

Equipment:
2019 TCL 6 Series 65R625 TV
Vizio SB36514-G6 sound bar
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k Bluray player

Sound bar connected via HDMI cable to the ARC HDMI port 4 on the TV.
Panasonic connected to the sound bar HDMI in.
Xbox One X connected to HDMI 1 on the TV.

I had some issues initially with getting the TV to show that the Bluray player was connected. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Many times the picture would show on the TV and flash between the movie and asking if a device was connected to the HDMI port.
Magically it started working and finally consistently worked. It was good for several months.

Recently I disconnected the Bluray player to move it and reconnected it with the same HDMI cable. Now when trying to play a 4K Bluray that I've played on it before it either doesn't read it and the TV asks if a device is connected to the HDMI port or sometimes it will briefly flash between the movie picture and device not connected screen before not reading the device at all.

The Bluray player did work with the 4K movie when I plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI 2 on the TV instead of the HDMI port on the sound bar.

When I tried to play a regular Bluray movie with the Bluray player connected to HDMI 2, however, the picture worked but the sound stutters.

The Xbox played the Bluray fine but has had issues with several 4K Blurays in the past which is why I got the Panny.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? All I want is to connect the 4K player to the soundbar to get lossless Atmos but I can't tell if there's an incompatibility or there's something wrong with one of my components. I've had some other issues with the soundbar recently (sound kept cutting in and out and CEC no longer works to let me control the soundbar audio with the TV remote) so I'm inclined to think it's the problem but because it all works sometimes I can't figure out for the life of me what's wrong. Each manufacturer just puts it off on another component. Thanks for any help. I miss the days where you could just plug something in and it'd work!

Edit: I just had it magically working for about 15 minutes and thought all was good again. Now I'm just getting sound but no picture. The screen will flicker every so often like it's trying to get a signal but nothing is there. It does show "Dolby Vision" in the top right of the screen like it would when you initially play Dolby Vision content.This is with the Bluray player going to HDMI In on the sound bar.

When I connected the Bluray player to HDMI 2 the picture came up. There must be an issue with a component, right? It all seems to work so intermittently.
i suggest were possible you have as much plugged into the tv as possible. Then suggest you turn off cec on the tv and if its on the bluray viera link. Unfortunately a lot of products seem to suffer with handshake issues between products, sometimes these remedys work sometimes not, other thoughts old incompatible hdmi cables ( try swopping them around or if you have others swop them out) final option reset everything, hope something i have advised helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom