1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help - Aplogies if mentioned before

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sam V, May 12, 2004.

1. Sam V

Sam V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All,

I have just bought a new subwoofer (MJ Acoustics Reference 100). I know it has high and low level inputs and it is possible to connect both at same time from reading here. Low would come from my a\v amp for LFE channel.

My question is about the High level and may be very stupid and I apologise if it is but my last sub was part of an all in one and was c**p and didnt have any options like this.

Do I need a seperate dedicated music amp to be able to set up the high level inputs simultaneously on the subwoofer? Or can I connect through a seperate out on my a\v amp and use this to listen to music? Would this have benefits? Or have I got it all wrong and you are now all laughing at me.

If so when you have stopped laughing could someone tell me how and why I am so stupid.

Cheers

Sam

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you were running seperate power amps Sam it might have been worth using the high level input but as you are using a integrated AV amp I would just stick with the low level input from the sub out on your amp. I used to use both high and low level connections with my REL but switched to just using low level and havnt really noticed the difference. If you were using the sub in a stereo set up then use high level but for almost all multichannel set ups its best to use low level.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The easiest way to connect the sub to your amp is by phono cable to the sub out connector on the amp.

Some people also like to connect the sub at high level too, using a cable with a Neutrik connector to connect to the sub with the bare wires at the other end being connected to the speaker connectors on the amp along with the main speaker cables.

This method is more time consuming to set up correctly but some people prefer the results when listening to CD's

Many amps when used in direct mode will only pass the signal to the speaker connectors and not to the sub so if you only have satellite speakers you won't hear any bass at all and connecting the sub at high level is necessary if you use this mode

4. Sam V

Sam V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Wow. Thats a quick response. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Unless someone posts anything different then I am going to stick with just the low level for now. Concentrate on getting that set up how I like it and see how it goes.

Maybe in time I might experiment but sounds like I will be OK the way I am.

Thanks again:smashin: