Please help an idiot for Christmas! S2-3200 and BBC-HD?

pnag

Standard Member
I've been in IT for over 20 years, abd am feeling more than a little bit stupid... I recently bought a Technotrend S2-3200 and thought I'd try to get some HD channels in for Xmas as my elderly parents are spending the season with me, and love the Beeb.

I have all of the latest drivers and software for my card, and I just want to be able to receive BBC HD! But not a sausage...

I can play H264, I have an ATI X1800 XL as well as the TT S2-3200, so it's not the hardware. What do I need to do to receive BBC HD? I've tried DVB Viewer (latest version from the official site) and all I get is an error message saying

"No valid DVB device found".

Please help, and Merry Christmas!

arfster

That's a driver issue - or to put it another way, dvbviewer doesn't support the driver you're using. If you're using WDM drivers, dvbviewer doesn't support them, try the BDA drivers instead.

Generally speaking, a lot of software doesn't support the Technotrend WDM drivers, but pretty much everything does with the BDA ones.

pnag

Standard Member
Aha! Thanks for the swift reply.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest ones from the Technotrend site - and device manager doesn't seem to help in letting me know whether it's the BDA or WDM? I know, I'm a pain, but if my parents can watch Galapagos or Planet Earth in HD, I'll be so grateful!

pnag

Standard Member
Right - I'm feeling dumb...

Checked Device Manager and sure enough it's a BDA driver - so thought, sod it, I'll buy DVBViewer and see if that makes a difference.

Now, no complaints about the DVB device, but still can't get BBC HD on a scan? Any one got any ideas?

Cheers!

PnaG.

arfster

Ahh, OK - yes, you need the full bought version.

Assuming you're getting other channels with decent signal quality? If so, it might just be the default DVBviewer transponder files don't include the BBC HD one. It's on 10847V, so if you manually scan that you should find it:

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Very, very strong beam, so if you can get any channels at all you should be able to find it.

ps your next problem might be the ATI codec doesn't support the particular form of interlacing they use (mbaff), but even if that's the case you'll still be able to scan BBC HD into the channel list.

pnag

Standard Member
D'oh, nothing yet...

Have it scanning for the Astra Ost 28 degrees, and still nothing! (It is Astra 2D, right?)

I've selected only free to air and unencrypted, but of the channels it scans in, I can only view the ones under the BSkyB tab?

I feel like I'm so close! Should it make any difference that I'm in Ireland? Shouldn't, right?

Gae

BBC HD also shows up as channel 6945 in the channel listing.

Have you installed Cyberlink's PowerDVD 7 in order to make use of the H264 codec? I seem to remember you also need to download the H264 kit from the DVBViewer members section and enter the DVBSource.bat file into the registery from the kit which I think helps to read the Cyberlink Codec. There are lots of other settings that need tweaking too in the "Options" settings. Dont forget to choose the technotrend card in the "hardware" section in options and if you have a dual core computer uncheck the "use only 1st CPU" in the "Extended" section of the Options menu. Other settings I have that might work for you are in the Direct X settings I have....
Video Renderer...unchanged
H.264 decoder......Cyberlink H.264 decoder
AC3 decoder......AC3 filter
I think you also need to download some AC3 decoder too like the Elecard...It's been a few months since I installed mine but I remember having a lot of problems at first but now it runs perfectly.

Good Luck and keep us posted...

Gae

pnag

Standard Member
Hi Gae, cheers for the help...

Yup, got the Cyberlink H.264 codec installed, but I don't seem to be even able to scan for the channel? All I seem to get are BskyB channels... :(

I'll keep plugging away!

Let me know if any of you have any more ideas - if it helps I'm using a BM90x sat splitter? Signal strenth is still strong, and I'm turing off the Sky box when I use the media center?

Gae

I saved all my channels scan as an importable "transponder" file and it includes the BBC HD channel. I'll transfer it from my computer to this one and either post a link to it here or post it to an E-Mail address tomorrow (Saturday). All you'll have to do is import it into DVBViewer and "Voila" you'll have most of the free channels available, but most importantly....BBC HD.

Gae

mrmoo

Try this scan, use the import function under channel list options.

BTW. For those in the know, what satellites can a standard Astra dish install see? I've scanned Astra 1&2 and Eurobird 1. Is that it without offset LNB's or a motor dish?

Attachments

• Scan 21122006.zip
    15 KB · Views: 38
  • satfn8.jpg
    satfn8.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 77

Gae

If that doesn't work I'll post mine as mentioned......

Gae

arfster

BTW. For those in the know, what satellites can a standard Astra dish install see? I've scanned Astra 1&2 and Eurobird 1. Is that it without offset LNB's or a motor dish?

A standard install, with a single LNB, can only see what you point it at:

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

Thus, if you're aiming at 28.2E you can only see Astra2 A/B/D and Eurobird 1.

Fortunately, motors are really cheap (£35), although getting them working on a PC can be.... interesting. A lot of software doesn't work with motors, some need specific drivers (sometimes hacked versions), there's problems between software and certain cards etc etc. On top of that, upgrading to Vista screws things up further, as hardware access is more tightly controlled, and newer drivers break things even more. The Technotrends will drive a diseqc 1.2 motor though, at least with the WDM drivers (although they are BDA only for Vista, and BDA means no motor!)

For most people, a better solution would be a 1.1 metre dish with four LNBS - I've got one of these on a second dish, was £120 for everything inc a 90cm dish. This will get you: 28.2E (Astra2 sats), 23.5E (Astra 1D/3A), 19.2E (Astra1 sats), 13E (Hotbird sats). That covers almost everything most UK users can get, and it's much more compatible with all sorts of software.

mrmoo

For most people, a better solution would be a 1.1 metre dish with four LNBS - I've got one of these on a second dish, was £120 for everything inc a 90cm dish. This will get you: 28.2E (Astra2 sats), 23.5E (Astra 1D/3A), 19.2E (Astra1 sats), 13E (Hotbird sats). That covers almost everything most UK users can get, and it's much more compatible with all sorts of software.
Sorry to hijack thread OP. Another satellite noob.

So I can use the TT 3200 to switch to different LNB's with DiseqC (BDA drivers) and DVBViewer? At the moment I'm using one of the spare outputs on my Sky+ quad LNB. I've installed the CI interface for a CAM, so I can get CH4/CH5 with my Sky FTA card. Is there enough on these other satellites with/without a CAM to justify the expense? Can you recommend somewhere to get a multi LNB dish kit?

pnag

Standard Member
Hey guys!

Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU!!! Got it - really couldn't have done it without all your help.

As a last request(!), what settings would any of you recommend? I've got both CoreAVC and the hardware ATI H.264, and I've tried both under the settings, but it still seems a little frame-y?

Use only 1 CPU is unticked, so don't think it can be that...

Gae

Congratulations!!! Have fun.

Sorry I dont use CoreAVC so I can't help you with the settings.

Gae

arfster

So I can use the TT 3200 to switch to different LNB's with DiseqC (BDA drivers) and DVBViewer?

Not exactly sure that model can with BDA drivers (although it certainly can with WDM), although the TT 1500 can and the BDA drivers have the command options to do it. DVBviewer can handle that certainly, basic diseqc switching is easy (pretty much every software can do it).

Is there enough on these other satellites with/without a CAM to justify the expense? Can you recommend somewhere to get a multi LNB dish kit?

I think so, although that's largely because I get lots of free football as a result. It's also nice if you can speak foreign languages too. Some people have been known to use vplug for dodgy decryption too :)

For a multi-LNB setup, the important thing is to get one designed for the dish. Many are multi-fit, and don't work well. I got mine from these guys:

http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/fixed-dishes.htm

The Triax kit they sell fits perfectly for those dishes. Go for as big a dish as you can - the 1.1m Triax is £65 for example. This gives you the most wiggle room to set up multiple LNBs perfectly, and gives you the best signal also. However note that planning permission for dishes in public view is 1m.

arfster

As a last request(!), what settings would any of you recommend? I've got both CoreAVC and the hardware ATI H.264, and I've tried both under the settings, but it still seems a little frame-y?

CoreAVC doesn't use hardware at all, so settings related to the ATI don't matter. The important one is to go into CoreAVC settings (either in the start menu, or in DVBviewer filter settings somewhere in the view menu), and switch off deblocking. This will save you quite a chunk of CPU.

Also, you could try using AltDVB, as it has better performance than DVBviewer. For SD viewing this doesn't matter because both have CPU at 5%ish, but for HD you need small savings.

pnag

Standard Member
Great stuff - had a look at AltDVB but it seems that the Technotrend card is not supported? Only the following are :-

AltDvb_Intf_SkyStar1_B225.zip

AltDvb_Intf_SkyStar2_B300.zip

AltDvb_Intf_Twinhan_B135.zip

AltDvb_Intf_NovaPci_B085.zip

AltDvb_Intf_Pinnacle_B078.zip

So, it seems I'm schtuck... Still, I got it tuned in!

mrmoo

It is, this one works.

AltDvb_Full_Ver22_B3912.zip

Can't seem to get it to scan a range, but it does one frequency at a time no problem. I've only looked at it a few minutes. HD works BTW.

EDIT: Yeah download a transponder list under update and they're all there, quite good.
EDIT2: Vplug works as well.

pnag

Standard Member
Well, some viewing time later... :)

Alt DVB gives a lovely picture in terms of quality, but the Aspect Ratio is always wrong whether 16:9 or letter box for BBC HD and the sound delay (despite much tweaking!) is always out.

Shame! If only the best features of AltDVB and DVBViewer were available in one package...

arfster

Ahh, that sounds familiar. There is a fix for the h264 aspect ratio bug deep within teh config settings, I just can't remember what it is - partly because the computer is in pieces, partly because I didn't sleep at all last night, but mostly due to overconsumption today :) It's something to do with video format/aspect/resolution change detection, dig around and you'll find a section with it. Alt-DVB 2.2 + coreavc offers the best quality BBC HD going as far as I know (not just on the PC either, it's better than the Sky HD box as well). Compared to others:

MyTheatre: best all-rounder, very good with remote, has a nice EPG and remote control interface on the TV (turn on the IVR to get it working). Good motor support integrated, supports MDAPI plugins and there are lots of extras. Probably my first choice at present - if only it did h264.

ProgDVB: isn't smooth with h264 yet and you need to pay extra for that version, and has a poor OSD. Supports mdapi plugins and can run a motor through that.

DVBdream: the best pure DVB app but can't run h264 smoothly cos of multicore issues. This will surely be fixed soon, and it's a nice product otherwise. Motor support can be a little complicated to get working, but flawless when you get there. Plugins also. Being free doesn't hurt either.

DVBViewer: can run h264 but not quite as efficiently as AltDVB, and diseqc motor support doesn't work well or at all with some cards. Most irritating is the lack of MDAPI support, so you can't get motors working with third party plugins. On the other hand, it's very well programmed with frequent updates - eg it was the first to do h264, and first to support Vista's EVR (which will help a lot with sync smoothness issues). Has lots of third party stuff through its own plugin interface though.

ps there are more advanced beta versions of DVBViewer Pro and GE in the members' section, try those for slight performance improvements.

pnag

Standard Member
Interesting! But if I can't get the audio to sync either, I may as well just give up on that...

This has opened up a whole new world for me! I'm just using the standard Sky dish, and I'll start poking for other HD channels as well - I've got a T-Rex Supermodule coming in the post, so I should be able to ditch my Digibox soon.

Cheers for the help! If you think of anything regarding the HD aspect ratio issue or the audio sync, please let me know!

PnaG.

Gae

Cheers for the help! If you think of anything regarding the HD aspect ratio issue or the audio sync, please let me know!

Could it just be to do with the weird aspect ratio of BBC HD...i.e. 1440 x 1088?
Proportionally speaking thats not 16:9, more like 16:11.

Gae

pnag

Standard Member
No doubt, but it still won't display correctly...

I've just read that the Technotrend Media Center can scan and display BBC-HD - given it's almost 2am I'll try it tomorrow though...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone