Please help advise me on a gaming PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Toadus, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Hi folks!

I was in the process of buying an Alienware PC, but the rather annoying v12finance company are giving me a hard time. In light of this, I've decided to just buy a PC outright, but I've also decided I should seek some advice before I do. I think I rushed into the Alienware one anyway, so please can I have some constructive advice. :thumbsup:

My budget is anywhere from around £1000 to no more than £1500. I'm willing to go that extra few pounds if it will make my setup much more future proof. I already have a PC which I use for work purposes, so this PC is pretty much only going to be for gaming.

This is the PC I was just about to get:

[1] Area-51 750i

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
    Alienware P2 Chassis : Alienware® P2 Chassis - Saucer Silver
    System Lighting: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue
    Processor Cooling : Alienware® Standard System Cooling
    Acoustic Dampening: None
    Power Supply: 750 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
    Graphics Processor : 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280
    Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Motherboard
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1 - English
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM
    Optical Drives: Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer
    Enthusiast Essentials: Single High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Port
    Sound Hardware: Integrated 7.1 High-Definition Audio

It came to a total, including VAT and shipping, of £1250. Now, I thought it was a good thing that the motherboard was capable of taking on another graphics card, you know, future proofing and all, but according to Alienware's site, I couldn't run another GTX280 without moving up to 1000w PSU! So not much help there really... For the price, I thought the E8500 was a good choice of CPU, as most games still do not use the potential of the quad processors. If I was to get a quad CPU, according to Tomshardware, I would have to spend a fair amount more than the cost of the dual E8500 to match it for gameplay. Anyway, I haven't written quads altogether, as I know there are some very tasty ones out there.

I've been looking at a few web sites that allow you to spec your own PC, and I've found some potentially better deals than the Alienware PC above. Please can you have a look through them and tell me what you think? My knowledge on this matter really isn't great. Please bare in mind that I'm unlikely to overclock my PC unless it's just a straightforward method, and I'm not building a PC myself.

I put this PC together from Scan.co.uk. It's a 3xs system, but seems rather cheap for the spec. Am I missing something?

Case: Asus V3-P5G31 S775 iG31 DDR2 667 800 MHz PCI-E (x16) SATA II On Board VGA Black Silver
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz 1333MHz FSB 6MB Cache Retail
    Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) CAS 5-5-5-18
    NVIDIA Graphics - The Way It's Meant To Be Played™: 1GB XFX GTX 280 XT 640MHz GPU 240 Cores 2400MHz GDDR3
    System Drives: 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200 rpm 16MB Cache
    Storage Hard drives: *Hard Drive Not Required*
    Floppy Drive Flash - Card Readers & Writers: Akasa Multi Memory Card Reader & USB 2.0 Port
    DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±R 12x DVD±DL DVD+RW x8 -RW x6 SATA Black
    Blu Ray Reader Writer: *Blu Ray Not Required*
    Sound Card: *Sound Card Not Required Use On Board Sound*

This comes to a total of £950 including VAT. Not sure about delivery. Still, seems rather cheap compared to the Alienware PC... Why? :confused:

I'm really tempted by this one from Overclockers.co.uk! Instead of the E8500, they offer an E8600 overclocked to 4Ghz!! Here's the spec:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 LGA775 'Wolfdale' "Overclocking E0 Stepping" 3.33GHz Overclocked to 4.00GHz!
    - Asus P5E-VM HDMI Intel G35 Micro-ATX (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    - Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB)
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 280 1024MB
    - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    - LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
    - Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant PSU
    - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
    - Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
    - 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty (Can collect from any address (UK Mainland ONLY) and same day collection possible if requested before 11am)

This comes to a total of £1216 including VAT. Notice that the motherboard is small and won't support a second graphics card. But to be honest, rather than spend money on bigger power supplies, I think it would be smarter to just buy a newer card when the time comes, as surely for the moment, the PCs here will be pretty good for most games.

Well, that's about it. If anyone can offer me some advice, I'd really appreciate it! I don't have to pick one of these PCs, so if you know of any better deals / specs etc, please let me know. :D

2. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    what games do you play? what types of games are you likely to play in the future??

The scan and overclocker deals are pretty good compared to a premium brand like alienware. theres no difference in what they are doing, just like buying a premium brand car.

for futureproof and spending all the budget i would look at:

Scan 3XS Systems

the i7 are the next generation of processors and seem to be the best in all aspects....they might be quadcore.

the problem with buying to be futureproof is upgradings sake. you may have to swap out components (psu is an easy one) but swapping the processor is a harder thing to do than a graphics card. so if you do need to upgrade go for the better cpu now and enough ram (ram is fairly inexpensive when you come round to upgrading)

gaming is more about the graphics card so go for more on that than the processor, the only limiting thing then is hard drive speed. the 10,000rpm drives are a good bet but cost that bit more!

gaming is all about the total experience, so consider a fair sized FAST monitor (4ms or less) and sound as an option-it makes a big difference in my case as i use the pc for everything.

my current setup (upgraded in summer):

Manufacturer:
    Gigabyte base custom-built
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory:
    4048MB RAM (Corsair XMS)
    Hard Drive:
    1 TB Total
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Monitor:
    Iiyama Prolite B2403WS 24"
    Sound Card:
    SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Zalman Surround Sound Headphones+Proper 2.1 system
    Keyboard:
    Saitek Eclipse
    Mouse:
    Logitech USB MX518 Optical Mouse
    Mouse Surface:
    QCK SteelPad
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista 32 bit :(
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
    Computer Case:
    Antec 900

i use it for films, work, games, graphic editing, browsing the lot!

the next upgrade is the graphics card but currently i play every game at the highest res possible with my monitor.

when buying a pc you need to consider not just the base, but software (operating system and games), screen, mouse + keyboard, sound in the budget to get the best.

you will find that any of the scan systems are great and their customer service is really good too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Thanks for the info!

The desktop with i7 920 looks like a really good bet, but like you've said, is it worth paying the extra money for, as it's mostly to do with the graphics card.

For a monitor, I have a 40" 1080p Samsung TV, so I won't be using anything else. ;)

I like all sorts of games. Multiplayer FPS games like COD. I also like fantasy role playing games, action adventure games, and also driving games. I have an Xbox 360, and I was very pleased to see that Microsoft have brought out an Xbox 360 game controller for Windows. How cool! :thumbsup:

Decisions, decisions. Still don't know what to get...

4. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    with a 1080p screen your limited to 1920x1080 res which is the same as what i have. i can play all the current games at that res with what i have. so a 260 nvidia card is going to be the minimum you need for the next 12 months.... you could easily get one of the scan or overclocker systems without breaking the bank.

you dont need more than 250/300gig storage if its just being used for games so if you can get a raptor 300gig hard drive, matched to the 280 or similar card on a high-ish dual core processor (extreme editions in my budget havent ever been an option because they tend to be useful to extreme overclockers and those without a budget). you want at least 2gig of ram but go for a matched pair of 2gig sticks should see no problems there.

5. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    OK. So looking at the bottom 2 options I posted originally, the Overclockers option is roughly £265 more than the Scan option. The main difference is that the Overclockers comes with a E8600 @ 4Ghz, whereas the Scan comes with a E8500 @ 3.16Ghz. Other than that, do you see anything else obviously different? There motherboards are different, but is there a performance / upgrade difference? Is the higher speed CPU worth the extra £265? I could also upgrade (with the Scan) to the nVidia GTX 295 and it would still be cheaper than the Overclockers... Or, there's still the lingering option of going for a i7 920...

6. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you could find reviews for each motherboard......

future proof could mean going for the i7 as it has the newer socket. 775 lasted from celeron d and pentium 4 days all the way until core 2 quad.....a long time and chips available.

probably the best thing is to think is the extra cost of a i7 worth it? top model previous gens tend to overlap with the newer generations.

7. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    Hi Toadus

Yes mate - i7 is the way to go. Future proof, new technology, speed will blow your socks off.

Full 64-bit working with 64-bit Windows. No RAM restriction.

Alan

8. Cobalt

Cobalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If your budget allows go for an i7-based system. You're absolutely right in that your major concern is a good graphics card coupled with quick RAM and a decent hard drive, and whilst you do want a decent CPU, any high-end dual core would suffice as at those resolutions it's graphics horsepower that counts.

That said, you also mentioned futureproof, which means getting a cutting edge motherboard and CPU, so the only real option is an i7 system. There's still plenty of life in the dual/quad core's yet, though they aren't getting any younger and you're unlikely to see many more released so why buy technology that will be significantly out of date within a year or two?

I do envy your budget though - I can only imagine what an i7 system with a 280 would be like...! ;)

9. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i feel the same! with my system i want to concentrate on hard drive speed as startup and program opening speed is more important than sheer processing or graphics power! ive done a lot to improve what i have with constant defrag and msconfig options.....just waiting for windows 7 to have a proper 64 bit OS. ive done the same on my eee laptop. it starts up with nothing. and it rivals proper laptops even with its 1ghz and 1gig ram. plays the games i request it to play (obviously not graphics demanding games-just leisure games like peggle and warcraft 3-tower defence; checkout bloons tower defence....you will see why i need it mobile) we had a lan 3rd jan on my craptop with a proper laptop hosting (better than the persons desktop of whos house we were at!)

10. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I could go for this from Overclockers:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz @ 3.33Ghz OVERCLOCKED (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
    - Asus P6T Deluxe "OC Palm Edition" Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    - Kingston 3GB PC3-14400C8 HyperX Intel XMP 1800C8 (3x1GB) Triple Channel DDR3
    - Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    - ATI Crossfire & Nvidia SLi Graphics Card Options
    - 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache in RAID 0 Configuration
    - LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
    - Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU
    - Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
    - 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty (Can collect from any address (UK Mainland ONLY) and same day collection possible if requested before 11am)

It's expensive... £1590 including VAT. I would be going with a GTX 280. Overkill perhaps?

11. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well you wont need to upgrade for ages but you still have the possibility to do it fairly easily

12. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Core i7 is future proof but is also expensive and the power is not really something you need for current games. Only around 10% of CPU's shiped this year will be core i7.

A fast dual core is perfect for current games and pretty cheap. A dual core running at 4ghz+ will beat core i7 running at sub 3ghz in almost every game. I wouldnt worry about getting a pre overclocked one, as long as you get a decent motherboard, cooler and ram all e8*00 chips will hit 4ghz no problem with very little overclocking experience needed. My e8400 is sat nicely running at 4.25 ghz with very little additional voltage required.

Ps that last pc you listed from overclockers is a rip off, you could build a far better one yourself for that money. Also thier customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

The key questions you need to ask yourself are what will you be using the pc for and how long you want it to last. If money is no object and you are gonna be using the pc for a lot of different tasks then core i7 is perfect. However, if you want a cheap pc mainly for playing games, then I would go with a p35 or p45 motherboard, an e8400 and an ati 4870 1gb. That would play any game sweet on a 22inch monitor. What graphics card you get depends on what resolution you intend on playing the games.

EDIT - i notice you will be running games on your TV. I would recommend at least a 4870 1gb or a gtx 285 for running at 1920x1080. If you can afford it maybe even a 4870x2 or GTX295 (but they are very expensive).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  13. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Thanks Mumid.

Please look at my original post. There's a cheap option from Scan (£950) which has a E8500 and that's with a tasty GTX 280. Do you think the motherboard and RAM will limit the overclocking potential on this machine? I'm trying to figure out why it's a lot cheaper than most machines. Following your advice, this would be a good buy.

I've been doing more reading on the i7 cores, and I'm really impressed. People are buying the 920 (only £240) and easily overclocking them from 2.66 to higher spec than the insanely expensive 965's. The 965's (nearly £1000!!) are set at 3.2, and people are overclocking the 920's to nearly 4ghz without any extra cooling... !

So, I'm stuck! I'm happy to hang on, no rush... But really don't know whether or not to pay the extra money for a far superior system. :confused:

14. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    I would not buy the scan system myself, for the same money you could build a far better system. The motherboard and ram are not very good for overclocking at all and the motherboard is very small and cut down. Hardly includes any hard drive space either.

Core i7 is good but its not so much the cost of the CPU itself but also X58 motherboards are very very expensive as is DDR3 ram.

Like I say, it really depends on what you are planning on using the PC for.

I have updated my sig to include what system I am running.

What is your budget and what are you wanted to use the PC for?

Edit - are you also looking for a pre built system or would you be open to putting it together yourself?

15. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    It's going to be for gaming, very little else. I have a PC which I do my day to day work on, and it's fine. My budget is around £1000, but I can stretch to £1500 if it's REALLY required... I was planning on buying pre-buit, as I haven't put a PC together since I was in my teens! :D Ah, the good old days of 33mhz CPUs... :rotfl:

16. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    Hi Toadus

I intend to purchase an i7 in a few months when the 'newness' of a new release has settled down and the prices have dropped.

Hopefully, a pre-built PC of i7 + X58 mobo + 6GB DDR3 RAM + good graphics board will be about £850 about the beginning of summer.

So, I shall wait.....

Alan

17. stug45

stug45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i would've said you could build for just as cheap. they go together quite well but bios options aren't always as clear so you might get a bit of trouble there but once you get your head around it, pc's go together quite well

18. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Alan is quite right, Core i7 is new so prices are expensive at the moment. As well as that, prices are also inflated from anywhere between 20 and 40% due to the weakness of the pound. I bought my Shappire Ati 4870x2 2GB for £330 on release and its now going for £400!

Anyway, if you have to buy now I would build my own. Half of the fun is in getting the new bits in and building it! That why you can get exactly what you want to.

I would go for something like:
    (prices from Micro direct, scan and ebuyer - didnt want to copy direct links in case it breaks the rules)

DFI motherboard LanParty Dark DK X48-T2RS Intel £117.30 (overclocker friendly and very very good price for an x48 motherboard)

Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 1333FSB LGA775 £150.36 (will do 4ghz+ easy)
    or if you want quad core
    Intel CPU Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core 2.66GHz 1333FSB LGA775 12MB cache £216.86 (3.4ghz a fairly straightforward overclock)

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme LGA775 Heatpipe Cooler £35 (best air cooler)

OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2048) 1066mhz Reaper HPC Edition DDR2 £50.00 (or any decent 1066mhz ram)

Samsung 1TB HDD Spinpoint F1 SATA II 300 7200rpm 32MB cache Hard Disk Drive oem £77.16

For graphics you are looking at one of the following

ATi Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5 PCI-E DVI TV Out Oem - £211
    PowerColor HD 4870X2 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - £340

or if you prefer nvidia

Zotac GTX295 1792MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDMI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card £409.95

The 4870x2 and GTX295 trade blows for being the fastest graphics cards available.

Then about 100 for a 800w+ PSU, 100 for a case, 20 for DVD-RW, 20 for fans and whatever keyboard mouse you want.

So based on what you choose, you are looking at anywhere from around £900 for a dual core with a 4870 1GB (good enough to play 90% of games on your TV at decent framerates) to around £1100 for a quad core with a 4870x2, good enough to play every game and faster gaming wise than all systems you have linked to so far!

19. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I wouldn't know where to start putting something like that together! Nor overclock it... :(

Would you be able to advise enough for a novice to be able to do both? :)

20. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Yes mate sure. Also there are plenty of easy to follow thorough guides on the net and plenty of good forums full of people more than willing to help. Building a PC and basic overclocking is fairly straightforward and can be a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying task.

Ill have a look for some guides for you.

21. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Great, thanks.

22. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
  23. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Thanks bud. I will take a good look at that!

Question about graphics cards. I've been looking GTX 280's, 285's and 295's, and there's a number of different manufacturers, with the prices varying quite a lot. I saw on one web site, I think 3 or 4 different makes of the GTX 295, and there was quite a difference in the costs. Why is this?

24. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Usually all the cards are exactly the same thay are reference cards made by ATI or Nvidia and rebadged. They might differ by included software (games etc) accessories and warranties. Sometimes though, you can also get overclocked versions or versions with different better coolers so thats why they are more. I usually just go for the cheapest with the longest warranty.

25. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Ah, great. Thanks.

26. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Really confused why people are recommending sticking with 775 motherboards and Dual/Quad core ? If you are building from scratch (which the op is) - then why would you pay for an already outdated motherboard, ram and main cpu ? Having just build a new system myself (from scan) based on an i920 (remember it has 8 threads, 4 core - now running @ 3.6Ghz), 6Gbyte of triple DDR for £830 incl VAT. Why would I even consider a old gen CPU ?

Just look at the potential of the i7 - the Core2's are maxed out, the i7's have just started ... ;) IMO

PS - on the RAM - you do not need to go triple - so the i7's will work perfectly well with 2 x 2Gbyte for example - you can add a third later if you wish.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  27. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    OK, sounds good. How did you manage to source all those parts so cheaply? They're cheaper than the ones quoted to me already... Have you not used an expensive GPU?

28. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Corei7 is good but it will cost around 3-400 more for a good core i7 system. In current games core i7 is not really needed - thats why.

29. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Price above was with a single 9800GT and PSU (but did not include a case, nor keyboard mouse etc - PC used primarily for Video encoding not gaming...) - but I guess my point is the i7 cpu, mobo and 6Gb RAM is 'only' ~ £670 incl VAT so with your budget of £1000-£1500 then you can probably get the above with a GTX295 and a decent case without any budget concerns ;)

30. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    if you wanted to go corei7 you could go for the following:
    (prices from Scan)

replace

DFI motherboard LanParty Dark DK X48-T2RS Intel £117.30 with
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Intel X58, Sok 1366, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 1066/1600/2000, SATA II, ATX £219

Intel CPU Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core 2.66GHz 1333FSB LGA775 12MB cache £216.86 with
    Intel i7 920, Socket 1366 (B), Nehalem, 2.66GHz, Cache 8MB, Retail £246

OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2048) 1066mhz Reaper HPC Edition DDR2 £50.00 (or any decent 1066mhz ram) with
    6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 8, DHX, EPP £200

so you are looking at around an extra £280 to go Core i7. You wont really notice the benifit in many games but you will have the cutting edge latest tech.