Please Help - Advice On Which TV - I Want A Sony Bravia!

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by roper999, Dec 29, 2006.

1. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Well if youve bothered to open this post, please be bothered to put your opinion, if you have one ofcourse obviousley lol

I am going to get a new TV. After wasting £1500 about a year ago buy getting a Sony Wega 42 inch Silver Plasma TV only to get home and read HDTV was coming out!! and obviousley my TV wasnt HD!! I have decided to do abit of research first!!!

I have my eye on the Sony Bravia 46X2000, and a link to it is here - http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...w_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+LCD+TV

After reading quite a few posts in the HD forum here I have realised that the highest resolution is not very good as nothing is filmed or designed with that resolution. Thats fair game at the moment, but I am sure in the future they will and thats exactly what I want, something that is fairly future proof. I understand new technology will always come out but I was just so mad at paying £1500 for a TV and then HD coming out I dont want to make the same mistake again!!

My questions are if anyone can help is -

1 - Is the TV I want (Sony Bravia KDL 46X2000) any good? Will it give me what it promises?
    2 - I have a Xbox 360 and want HD gaming. Is it true that the games will look worse on a TV with such high resolution or will this TV adjust its resolution to suit the media so to speak?
    3 - Is there another TV which you could recommend?
    4 - I want something with good sound. The Sony Bravia obviousley comes with Virtual Dolby Surround Sound II, would I need extra speakers or is this sufficient.

Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate and advice, recommendations or anything that would help me.

Peace

2. thommcghome

thommcghome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  3. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mate.

So at a guess it will work fine with my 360!!

I have had a look around the web and found that there is also a 40 inch variation of the above TV, which I am sure would be easier to convince my wife to get, but I would opt for the bigger one if it is going to be fairly future proof.

Thanks again, any other comments would be great

4. Dan-h

Dan-h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If I had a 1 yr old 42" plasma, I would hang on until there is a majority of HD material and further improvements in LCD products before getting a new screen.

I'm pleased with my Sony 40w2000 LCD TV, purchased early Dec with the HXD860 DVD HDD recorder.
    When comparing sets in shops before purchase, I found that some SD programmes were poor on the full HD LCD but were acceptable in non-HD plasmas. Of course, HD material on the Sony Bravia walked all over the non-HD displays.
    As I had to get a replacement TV, I went for the full HD LCD, knowing some SD material would not be great.

After nearly 1 mth, with extra time watching programmes over the holiday season, I must admit that the poor SD material has not turned out to be terrible whereas the better quality broadcasts have been quite stunning.
    I have connected up my laptop (VGA only) to share some photos and they also turned out great.
    Decent quality DVDs upscale very well too.
    My boys play games (I don't) and their X-Box looks very good.

But I know that once HD material is shown, I will be dissatisfied even with the decent SD content. As SD will dominate for many years still, personally I would hold off if I already had a flat panel TV, even if it is not HD. I went for full HD to be future proof now (apart from HDMI 1.3 protocol, etc, and other improvements which will continue to pour out for the next few years)

Initially I was after a 37" only, going by the space used by CRTs. Now even my wife thinks we can go larger then the 40" which is mounted across the redecorated fireplace (with the top of the TV around the height of the old mantelpiece).
    I've seen poor SD material on the larger (46 - 50") screens and their weaknesses are exposed even more. However, DVDs and X-Box content were still fine.

I'd read postings about poor sound quality. But I've used and am well pleased with the onboard sound processing. But for dedicated movie enjoyment, I'd still go with a separate surround-sound setup.
    Just my own experiences and views, which I hope helps.

5. silas184

silas184

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1 - Is the TV I want (Sony Bravia KDL 46X2000) any good? Will it give me what it promises?

Absolutely, I speak as a 40W user here, and budgetary and wifely restraints meant that I got a 40" wall mounted. After living with it for a month even my wife says that we could have gone for the larger 46". In the shops I always found the X had a better pic than the W. Although my home settings are far different to the shops vivid etc and suspect you may be happy with a 46"W at less cost once adjusted correctly.

2 - I have a Xbox 360 and want HD gaming. Is it true that the games will look worse on a TV with such high resolution or will this TV adjust its resolution to suit the media so to speak?

I understand, me not a gamer, that a superb pic can be had from the Xbox.

3 - Is there another TV which you could recommend?

Er, not personally.

4 - I want something with good sound. The Sony Bravia obviousley comes with Virtual Dolby Surround Sound II, would I need extra speakers or is this sufficient.

One area that needs improvement on my system. I am not overwhelmed by the internal sound on the W series but have not yet sorted a surround system out that I can use with my Kef hi-fi system speakers.

6. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    If you can afford the bigger set I would go for it. We too have 40" W and realise we could have gone for 46"

The x will give better sd than the w, but we are well satisfied with performance on the internal freeview tuner and via sky sd box. If money was a problem I would go 46" W rather than 40" X

For Dolby 5.1 you need proper hi fi speakers round the room

7. Dan-h

Dan-h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In demos I'd found no significant differences between the 40x and 40w for SD material. In fact via DVD, my Lord of the Rings looked better on the 40w with a better handling of dark to light shading. This was not swayed by the contrast figures which neither my son nor wife knew of them, but who also saw the difference.
    My wife's view was if it takes so much effort to see any difference, it can't be worth the extra money. (P/S She and my younger son also prefer the looks of the W over the X).

8. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I have slept on it and are seriousley being swayed by the 46 inch X series now lol. Its on by now pay september and we are due some money in June which would pay for it in full. I think it was about £2400 online.

So my next question is -

If I buy this, thats obviousley £4000 on TV's over a 2 year period. My wife will not be happy if I repeat last years debacle by getting an expensive tv that is not going to last us for a fair few years. If you had the money would you buy this TV? Dont get me wrong I am far from rich lol A work bonus would pay for it, and I am just thinking that if this is the only time in the next few years I will have this sort of cash at my disposal, should I buy it now?

I dont know what to do!! Do you think there will be a signifcant decrease in price if I wait another year say?

Thanks again peeps

9. Dan-h

Dan-h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    From my earlier posting, I would still say hold on as you already have a 42" plasma TV.
    Probably not much of a price decrease but LCD TVs will continue to improve in the next 2-3 years and you will get more for your money. As long as you don't go for the latest, newest technology available then, but a model comparable with this 46x.
    Of course, £2k in 2 yrs time will also be less then £2k is today due to inflation. Stick your bonus in a 2 yr fixed deposit a/c and the interest will help cover the inflation as well and you're more then covered.

10. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Dan for the great advice and what your saying is completely spot on and my wife wholeheartedly agrees with you. My head agrees with you but my "boys and their toys" inside me is screaming for a HD TV lol

Maybe go for the cheaper option and get a small screen for the spare room and play my xbox on that one!! You know pay about £500 and then like you say, save the rest for a Bravia for some later stage!

MMMMMmmmmmmmm......why do we always have to be sensible lol