Please Help! Advice on transfering media from Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by leebroath, Feb 11, 2014.

1. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Hi Guys

I’m looking for some help please on burning my Blurays/DVD’s to MP4 files which can then be used and transferred over to iTunes (as it’s in that format already) and onto the 3TB WD NAS for streaming.

A few days ago I was using my old Blu-ray writer drive which I purchased on Ebay last year item number: 190737372915 and have used it ever since for the odd transfer, I also installed the ful version from Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper Standard edition.

Now we have loads and loads of Blurays and DVD’s so I have now decided that it’s time for placing them onto the WD Drive so started looking at faster/quicker drives to make my life easier.

The laptop I am using was purchased from this thread at HUKD and after I received it I upgraded the RAM to 2x sticks of 4GB of Corsair Vengeance, I also upgraded the HDD to a 500gb SSD.
    Dell Inspiron 15, i5-3337U (1.8-2.7GHz), 4GB, 750GB, 65WHr, 15.6” (768P), Win8, £337.30 (£320.44 with Quidco) @ Dell - Hot UK Deals - Page 2

I have just started transferring them and for example Shutter Island (Bluray) was taking 2hrs20min so I have decided to upgrade the BD to a faster one and had previously asked for help.

The drive I purchased from Amazon UK was this: LG BE14NS40 14x USB 3.0 Desktop Blu-ray Rewriter with 3D Playback: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thinking it was going to help my need and make the transfer of all my media quickly, for some reason even using this drive it was taking 2hrs10min….why is this? I have been asked if my software supports Intel Quicksync but I have no idea where I can find this information? I was also thinking could it be my graphics card / CPU in the laptop ?

Please I’m at my wits end and looking for some experienced help from someone on here J

All I want is an answer as to whether I can use my Laptop and transfer all my media quickly using that drive (or it’s going back to Amazon) and do I need to buy a much more powerful computer desktop to transfer media quicker?

Is there anyone of you in the same boat as me and using a better software that can take full advantage if the new drive I have just received from Amazon?

Thanks for any help guys

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    1) Never convert direct from the BD drive using the disc, that slows down the process and puts strain on the BD drive. Rip BD to internal HD first then feed into conversion.

2) For quicksync get DVDFab Ripper, see usage instructions. Note the quality from Quicksync will not be as good as going through a proper x264 encoder.

3) You can opt for speed or quality with x264 encoders that will likely still give better quality then whatever that aieesoft thing is.
    * Rip to HDD using MakeMKV take main movie only (this does not convert the video/audio).
    * Feed your movie.mkv into Handbrake.
    * Select AppleTV3 profile if you want to keep BD's at 1080p and compatible with iTunes.
    * On video tab change x264 preset from medium to faster (drag left) if you want a faster encode.
    * In same area set x264 tune = flim
    * Hit start and see how long it takes and if happy with the quality output.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Previous thread: Is there an external Bluray which utilises the faster speed of 3.0 USB | AVForums

A 'proper' one is one that uses the CPU only (i.e. the slowest option), nVidia's and AMD's solution were both similar in quality to quicksync the last I heard (which was a year or two ago admittedly and may have improved on newer hardware). That's a moot point here though as your laptop has no AMD/nVidia graphics.

As I mentioned in the other thread though, I'd just queue several files up and let them convert overnight or any other long stretch it won't be in use. Thirty seconds to set up and no other effort required. You can get batch converter utilities for handbrake to do this if you choose that.

I've been trying to help based on what I've gathered but I'm not expert. That MakeMKV page you linked to say it transcodes, I thought this meant that it did convert video/audio rather than just moving it between containers? Or is it one of those cases where the word is used for different things?

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    x264 is only slow if you configure for quality, a CPU x264 encoder can easily match the so called GPU/hardware encoders from Intel/AMD/Nvidia if configured to do so but most x264 encoders just opt for best quality by default.

Tweaking an x264 encoder for a faster encode should still give better results then going through something like quicksync. Handbrake also produces Apple compliant video files not all encoders do that.

MakeMKV when ripping to HDD produces a 1:1 copy of the original video/audio just dumped into an mkv container, the transcoding stuff is in relation to it's advanced features where it can transcode audio into another format (not enabled by default) or stream the video being decrypted to another platform (again not enabled by default).