1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE help - advice for HD - I'm new

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rian1988, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi there,
    I am new to this hd thin and i would kindly apreciate sum advise. I am looking to buy an hd lcd for when sky launches hd and when the ps3 comes out. The tv i'm looking at is the philips 26PF5520D. First question is this a good tv. Second will this display the best hidef pic possible aka 1080i and im not sure if it has hdmi im not fussed about the sound bit as i would have separate sound. But will dvi give stunnin hd picture. Sorry to ask so much.

Thanks Jonny

2. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'm not one of the experts on here but a 26" tv for HD is somewhat small. Minimum I would say has to be 32" preferably 42". Phlips make good HDTV's though acc to some

3. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    sorry jus 2 say its for a bedroom an to me 26" is plenty

ps ive noticed it has dvi instead of hdmi but it has hdmc (or sumfin) will this be still b good

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep as long as the DVI is HDCP compliant and supports 50hz input you should be fine.

However given the advances in LCD tech and the continuing drop in prices only buy now if you have a real use for the display, you will save money and get a better panel in 9 months when SKY and the PS3 are more likely to exist:)

5. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanx starbust, but yeh I think i will get this tv soon plus it comes with a built in freeview tuner!!

6. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Is this the latest TV from Philips ? I see a 32" is available, anything bigger does anyone know ?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Large LCD displays are horrendously expensive. If you want larger than 32", you will have to consider plasma.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499

Or a DLP rear pro :thumbsup:
    :D

9. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I like the 32inch philips, muti-system also but not freeview unlike the 26 apparently has ?? Does it though ?

32" are anywhere between £600 and £900 at least on ebay ;-) So the word horrendous does'nt really apply expensive-ish thogh I guess...

Hopefully by the end of the year there'll be a good 42" LCD HD ready screen for around the £700 - £900 mark

Who sells the full range of Philips TV's these days ?

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499

:eek: :eek: :eek: I doubt any 42' HD LCD screen of any quality would be priced around this mark. :rolleyes:

After all you cant get a decent 42' HD plasma for this money, yet alone a HD LCD. :D

11. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    There was a 42" plasma going on Novatech I think for a little over £900 a few weeks ago though yes probably not totally HD compatable..

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499
    :hiya:

I doubt it would be HD compatible, probably has 480 lines. I also doubt the picture quality would be upto much. Cheap plasmas can be very harsh to watch with eye strain often rearing its ugly head. LCD displays are far more expensive on the large screen sizes than their plasma cousin's.

Good luck :smashin:

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I said large screens. 32" isn't large !

I admire your optimism. The more pixels on a screen, the bigger the chance of failure. So, large hi-def screens are likely to stay expensive for a while yet, especially LCD.

14. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    How do you mean 480 lines ? THere was an HD ready quote in the blurb..

It seems this new technolgy due out next month (called ?) is worth waiting for seeing as plasmas / LCD's have such a short lifespan of 5 years or so

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

A review of some "cheap" plasmas in an issue of HCC recently didn't really say anything to recommend them not only on performace but actual value for money.
    You can buy a cheap car from a far eastern country that's based on a model that's a decade old and it'll do the job but a cheap Plasma two or three generations behind the latest from Pana, Pioneer etc just doesn't cut it anymore. It's short comings while being acceptable 3+ years ago can longer be considered as anything but second rate no matter how much it costs and that's assuming it has a suitable HD resolution.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499

:hiya:

If you refering to this plasma screen from Novatech at £900.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?HYD-H421SR

480 x 852 is not HD resolution evan if it can accept an input of 720p or 1080i (1280x720 or 1920x1080). It scales the HD signal down to 480x582 which is SD and not HD so you will see no difference with HD material. There is also no mention of a HDCP compliant input which basicaly rules out SKY HD, Blueray and HD-DVD.

The new tecnology you might be refering to is LCOS or DILA. Both of these technologies are new and you wont see them at budget prices for a long time. As I mentioned in my post above DLP is probably the best alternative to plasma or LCD. A 46' screen can be bought for around £1500 and a 50' screen costs around £1700+. In my opinon and others this form of display produces a better pictures than lcd or plasma. All of these DLP sets are HD ready with 1280x720 res. :)

Starburst :hiya:

Totally right allot of people are under the asumption that because they are spening £1000 and its a plasma that the picture will be superb. How wrong could they be. I have seen screens like these and they are unwatchable. Basically a waste of space and cash. :eek:

I believe that if you cant afford the real thing, then sometimes it is better to go without for a while until you can afford it. Otherwise you will never what you are looking for.

:D

17. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Actually to be honest not sure if the 'offer' was from Novatech, I get emails from about 4 of the big stores, also the price did incl vat this was some weeks ago now, cost was not bang on £900

Thanks for your knowlegable reply. Just best to wait and see what happens. I for one won't be spending a penny until I know a lot more about definate prices and services etc particularly the BBC

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499

RecordableDVDfan :hiya:

Best thing to do is start saving your cash for when HD does reach these shores, then you will be in a good position to buy what ever technology is availible at the time. :thumbsup:

Good Luck :D

19. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well 42" LCD screens are likely to still be 720p panels, so the same number of pixels. But yes, they are larger so less can be cut from a sheet, and yields would be lower, so prices would be disproportionately higher.

But the same was said of 30-32" screens a couple of years ago, and they've come down pretty quickly.

I've only had my 30" LCD a year and a bit, cost me £2k which was a bargain at the time. But I'd expect my next TV to be around 42-45" and cost less in a few years. 1080p I'm not overly bothered about from a direct view, 720p will be fine.

I'll wait for 1080p before I replace my vintage AE100 though.

20. Genghisackroyd

Genghisackroyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please forgive my butting in here, but as I am also new and now in the market for a new goggle box I thought that I would go for something that might be a bit future-proof.

Has anyone any recommendations as to a decent HD LCD (ideally 32" but would consider another size). At the mo' I cannot consider anything more than a grand (£1000). I saw a LG in Dixons for £999 but have no experience to base my decisions on. I have seen a large Plasma screen @ £2500 which was incredible but so is the price...

Or would your advice be wait and see, or save your money and get a decent CRT.

Thanks for your advice...

21. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Nice 32" one in DABS at the moment for 799 quid inc vat :) Big HDTV ready sticker on the website too.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=3R5Z&mc=6

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,499