1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a very confused newbie.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Macowl, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, hopefully you guys and girls can help out a very confused person.

I am loooking to buy my first plasma, and have been actively searching the net for as much info as possible, only to confuse myself.

Having only ever had a CRT TV, i never new all these extras that everyone seems to be talking about, or understand what on earth they do.

I have seen the following plasma on offer at Richer Sounds

http://ws2.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=plasmapackagehotline

I want to connect up Sky+ DVD and Xbox, would this package satisfy my needs, or will I need additional hardware.

I have a budget of £2k, and so could opt for a different system, if this is not a good deal, (like this one because I feel Panasonic is a name that I can trust).

Any help or reccomendations on what kit I need in addition to a plasma screen and speakers would be much appreciated, as my head is starting to hurt.

Mac

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mac

with 2k you an actually do a little better and get a bigger Panny screen too at 42" - the 42" is the size most people go for and only 37" if no space in house etc...

Try searching for

Panasonic Best Prices
    Panasonic PW7

lots of variable Panny prices to look for so do research and then only buy!!!!

Dil

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For £2k you could have the forum favourite setup, PW7 42", Pioneer vsx402, a 5.1 speaker pack for around £250, Pio 575 DVD, Pio. freeview box, either the scart input board or a JS RGB to VGA converter. This whole setup will run from 1 remote control, easy to set up and use, a stonking home cinema for the money.

4. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that guys, I have read in another thread that all panasonics, have to have boards? attached to the back, and the sound configured.

Is this somthing that with a bit of reading up on is simple to do, or would I be best leaving this to an expert?

I think I may opt for the 42", as i may as well get the most for my money.

Does anyone know of any good package deals at the minute, or some suitable extras that may be required?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :D Experts are all very well, and will save you time and effort, but cost you money. Get the right gear to start with and it will be very much easier. It's perfectly possible to have a Panasonic with no boards, you can use the VGA port, which is part of the screen. This is done with a sync separator, like the JS RGB to VGA converter. RGB scart from set top boxes, DVD players etc is converted to a VGA signal, the results are excellent with a PW panasonic. Switching the whole lot through an AV amp lets you make just 1 connection to the screen, unless you are set on connecting your VCR too, then you might be better to buy the scart board. What do you want to connect? If it's really just those 3, RGB from each of them via the Pioneer amp, and a JS VGA box will fit your budget and be seriously good.

6. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi macowl i just got my panasonic th42pwd7 on Monday and you do have to setup terminal boards in the back of the screen if this is what you require. its not difficult.
    depending on what you want to watch through the screen then this determines what boards you need if any. if you want component connections from dvd then you need component board or if you want to connect via scart or svideo then you need to get the appropriate board.
    let us know what you are going to connect to it and someone will keep you right with regards to what you need.also screen has a vga port same as you would connect computer monitor and it is possible to use this port for getting sky onto the display via a scart to vga converter box.(search for js tec
    as for sound this is where your 5.1 surround setup comes into it. you can connect speakers to the screen but the actual panasonic ones are way overpriced and not worth it. you can also run speaker cable and speakers to the output from screen but best thing is to get a 5.1 surround package and connect all your components to this to get sound. i got yamaha rxv450 amp for £150 and canton cd1 speakers (see the canton special deal post on this site) and am very pleased with the sound.
    the amp has plenty of connections and suits my needs.
    let us know if you want anymore info.
    cheers

7. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again Thanks, I was thinking of connecting up SKY+ DVD player and my X-Box, as well as a surround sound system.

Have just read elsewhere that a video processor? (a what) is also a must? anyone want to shed any light on that.

Tell you not like the old days of buying your tv and plugging a wire into the wall is it. :)

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    Do you mean a scaler?

9. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you may of guessed I am no expert, but from what I could gather it was a progressive scan converter, but again I may have that wrong.

10. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Am I right in saying that the PW7 won't be able to accept Sky's hi def signal when they launch the service? Don't want to confuse the poor chap further, but wouldn't want him to spend his 2k now and then find that he can't watch HDTV when it launches.

Just a thought...

11. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi i have got sky+, crap dvd and consoles into my pwd7 and well happy. i have sky+ thru js scart to vga converter and have a crap sanyo dvd thru scart also going thru the js via the sky+ box. find the picture to be great on sky and dvd is better than i expected.
    have a component terminal board in the screen which was bought for dvd and consoles. have tried ps2 and gamecube thru component and it is well tasty.
    waiting on component cable for xbox so i can try it but expect it to be very good too.
    i would suggest same setup as me if sky+&xbox are your main requirements. av sales do a deal on the screen and component board with bnc connections can be had a lot cheaper than the other terminal boards and js tech converter is about same price as some of the other boards as well. you do need to get a vga cable for this though.
    hope this helps

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Macowl, I'd hardly say a scaler was obligatory! It's a nice extra, but I'd go the non scaler route 1st, add a scaler later if you feel you need to. It can also make a PW7 skyHD compatible, if paying loads of money for a couple of hours a week content is appealing to you.

13. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks for everyones help so far, you have made me feel more confident in my purchase, Untill this lunch time..

I went into a TV and HI-FI shop that I walk past each day for a chat to discuss systems and interconnects and everything else, and was told that I wouldn't get anything for less than £3k and was wasting my time.

Am I missing something here, as what has been discussed above is for around £2k??

Am i being taken for a mug due to my lack of knowledge, or have I missed something along the way??

14. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding what I said above, am i being taken for a mug due to my lack of knowledge, or have i missed something along the way?

The guy in the shop was not the most helpful when he realised that I didn't understand a lot of what he was saying to me . :thumbsdow

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are missing the fact that some such shops are so highbrow they will not discuss 'budget' solutions. I have suffered this in the past, as a student and so on, choose a different shop if they are both expensive and snooty. There is no need for it. I and most other members here could put together something respectable for £2k. It might not be 'best in the world', but it'll damned well work, give a decent picture and surround sound way in excess of any 'all in one' home cinema systems. Tannoy, Canton, Jamo, just to start the list, all make speakers that will be within your budget, especially as you already have sky+ and a DVD player.

16. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that this ut might prefer someone coming in and dropping 10k+ but surely a sale would still be a sale, or at least a bit of customer service.

It seemed like a decent shop when I walked in, had systems that I have never seen before, as never gone down this route, and only ever really looked in your big high street chains, but couldn't get over the lack of help.

Anyways, will be trying to get a package together off of AV sales or someone similar.

Is it better to get an all in one system, or a seperate AMP and surround sound?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've already got 1/2 a system, get an amp. I suggest one of the Pioneer scart switching amps, as everything you have is RGB capable, and it's a cheap way to go. You could get a component converter for sky and use a component switching amp, but if I've lost you already, just get the Pioneer, you'll be able to cope with it yourself. You can always sell it 2nd hand in a year or so, and buy a bigger better one with your by then massive knowlege of plasma technology. Hang around here for long and you'll be able to take the P**s out of that shop on your next visit.

18. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so I think I am going to opt for the 42" PW7 as this does appear to have very good reviews with in my budget.

As stated I have the DVD player and the SKY+ and the console, so i just need the extras.

Will be buying a seperate amp and surround sound system.

Now is there anyone out there with any patience, who could tell me how this little lot connects?? Does everything connect into the amp, and then the amp connects into the plasma, or is it like a normal tv (just more complicated) and everything connects into the back of the plasma?

Oh and do I need a tuner or media box? Again sorry for my ignorrance and thanks.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK you are nearly there. Order the screen and a Pioneer VSX402, though in Richer sounds the other day they had a VSX301 for £139, which is a BARGAIN, (previous model) You could set the gear up before it arrives, on sky, in the services-picture settings menu you need to turn on RGB. Same for the DVD, somewhere in the setup there will be a 'scart output settings', this should be RGB. Then an 'advanced scart' kit for the X-box, also RGB then. These all connect to the amp, to STB, DVD, and video scarts. The TV/DVDR scart is connected to a JS RGB to VGA converter, and from there with a VGA cable to the screen. No boards needed. The speakers are your choice, I quite like the Tannoy FX5.1 in terms of value for money. All scart cables must be fully wired, and you'll need a digital optical from sky and X-box, and either optical or coaxial from the DVD to amp, for digital audio. A fairly straightforward setup.

20. Macowl

Macowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sir are a star :thumbsup: