1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a sub virgin

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kevantlin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have bought a denon 3805 and kef 5005 speakers it all great but i am sure i should be doing something with the settings on the sub.

I have the crossover on the amp at80hz and the three knobs on the sub all at 12 o clock..the speakers are set to smal and its mostly for movie sound.

Can somebody please help as i have no idea as to what i am doing

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    What are the three knobs on the sub called??
    OK, just edited this after looking on the KEF site!
    The input level is basically your sub volume control - suggest you leave it at 12 o'clock for the moment.
    There is a phase knob - couldn't see what the settings are on the crappy piccy on the website, but you should have two options - 0 or 180 degrees. Set to 0 for now.
    The other knob is crossover frequency. This is where we may have a problem, as I think that 80 hz on the amp may be too low for your satellite speakers. If you can change this to say 100 Hz, and move the sub knob to its highest frequency (150Hz??). This means that the amp will be sending everything below 100 Hz to the sub. If you had the sub knob at 12 oclock, this may be, say a crossover of 90 Hz, so you will miss out on a bit of the signal - always best to move the sub crossover control to its highest point when using the crossover in the amp as you are doing.
    Having done this, just adjust the volume until it sounds right. You can of course use a sound meter which will be much more accurate, but at the end of the day, if it sounds right it is right!
    You can of course stick with the amp at 80Hz as it is now and just move the sub crossover to its highest point. It's just that looking at the speaker specs, they seem to tail off below 100 Hz, so you will be missing a fair bit of the signal.
    Anyway, just have a play around.
    Oh, and finally once the crossover etc is sorted, have a play with the phase control - it may make a difference, but frankly I can't detect any influence with mine! (it needs to be set to the position which gives most bass -again, use your ear!)
    Phil

3. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does this mean that on the 3805 i should set crossover to 100 hz?

Told you i was a newbie

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Yes - I think that 100Hz on the Denon may give better integration with your speakers, but by all means check with 80Hz as well.
    Phil

5. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for all your help i have done all the settings and am about to try it out

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    Hi,

You guys might be able to answer my questions along the same lines as the post above:

My Yamaha processor (DSP-E800) doesn't seem to have any crossover options, it says the freq is set at 90Hz in the manual. Does anyone know if that's definitely correct?

I have the volume (??) knob at about a quarter. The Phase is set at 180 (couldn't really tell any difference). I have the enabled button on (crossover) and the freq on the SVS turned at 100Hz.

I have ordered a meter from Keene so I will calibrate it properly then but is there anything I can try in the meantime??

davepuma

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the amp is crossing over at 90Hz there doesn't seem much point using the crossover in the sub at all so I have mine disabled