1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a Plasma newcomer

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by doctorjuggles, Aug 31, 2004.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey all. I'm hoping for a bit of help here.
    I've done a load of looking around on this site, and while there are a lot of topics on certain plasmas, there doesn't seem to be anything that quite fits my question.

What I'm looking at right now is a few 42" Plasmas that fall in my price range of between £1700 and £2000. I'm looking at:
    JVC GMV42PZW (£1699)
    Toshiba 42WP37 (£1799)
    Panasonic TH42PWD6BX (£1898)
    Hitachi 42PMA400E (£1999)

I have Sky Digital, with a stereo that is running the sound (current CRT TV also runs sound, but the stereo is also hooked up, and this is probably what I'll be running the sound through initially until I save up again for something better.)

What I need to know, please, is which of these is the best device? Also, it's worth pointing out that I'd like to be able to use it as it's sold, without worrying about buying new components to make it work. Am I being unrealistic at this price-point? Why do plasma screens need all that extra stuff anyway?
    Are there better deals out there for me at this price?
    Should I forget all about it until I have more money to spend on it?

Also, if anyone knows a good online source for me to learn about Plasma screens and all the components that feed into it (like the boards everyone keeps mentioning) then feel free to point it out and tell me to 'do your own research you lazy beggar'.
    I'm pretty ignorant all round regarding plasma, as you can tell, but every other gadget interests me, so reasonably techy sites should be okay.

Thanks for any help!
    :smashin:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    doctorjuggles

There are Two Flavours of Flat Panel PDP Plasma products - PlasmaTV or Plasma Display.

PlasmaTV's have a range of the 'normal' consumer video input sockets (Composite, S-Video and SCART) and sometimes a Component Input for a Progressive DVD player.

Plasma Displays usually have an HD15 (VGA) PC socket plus an Expansion slot (or slots) into which you fit appropriate video input boards.

Often these days you can assemble a system around a Plasma Display with one or no additional expansion slots populated using an external video proceeds or video up-conversion in a mid range AV Receiver.

In general Plasma Display models have less frills than PlasmaTV models and for many produce a better image than the equivalent PlasmaTV model - take the current Panasonic Standard Definition 42" Viera PlasmaTV model vs. PWD6 Display model; personally I'd be much happier with the image, spec and video compatibility of the less frilly PWD6 model.

Taking an hour or so now to work out how to Interface your required video sources with your preferred Plasma Display model can have big benefits over going with a PlasmaTV model that may have 'all the sockets' but may not have the best picture quality for the money.

Typically where a customers has a mixture of Composite, S-Video, RGB SCART and YUV component signals to interface with a Plasma Display I'd say the bits required to interface the whole system cost £200 - £250 and should be budgeted for in your initial pricing.

For me the Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX is still the building block we build most 'entry level' (if you can call a £2K TV entry level) systems around.

Best regards

Joe

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Okay, so it's probably best to go with the display and save a little more money to do it right then?

Another question, if someone wouldn't mind answering. What about the 7th gen Pannys that are coming out next month? What's the feeling on them? Should I wait for them to be released, will they be better but in a similar price range, etc?
    Thanks