1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a novice.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil38, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Phil38

Phil38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I have just purchased a dvd player with a built in tuner and decoder. It features DTS, prologic and Dolby Digital. I am trying to connect it to my system and could really use some help.<p>

I have a TV with one scart socket.<p>A VCR with two scart sockets, one marked AV1, the other AV2.<p> A sky box with two scart sockets, one marked TV scart, the other VCR scart.<p>A dvd player with one scart socket.<p>I also have a 3 into 1 scart socket adaptor (one plug, 3 sockets).<p>

I would like to connect these up so they all work ok (obviously) and so that I can play the TV picture and sound thru the Dolby System. My TV is Nicam equipped. I seem to have got something wrong somewhere as I can get sound through the speakers, but not pictures on the TV when the DVD is switched to aux1, which is where the leads are plugged for the sound from satellite box to dvd.<p> This is driving me up the wall, please help, or send me somewhere that I can see a diagram that will show me what I need to know.
    Thanx loads. Phil

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Is your DVD system an all-in-one (Sony DAV etc.) or just a DVD player?
    On a DVD player the decoders (Dolby/DTS) are for decoding the sound on a DVD disk only. They can not give you surround sound from TV/VCR/Sky etc. The connections are outputs to be fed to a multichannel amp/receiver that then amplifies the signal and outputs that to speakers. The DVD player does not have any amplifiers built in.
    If it is an all-in-one system then let us know what model and we will have a look and see how best to get it all connected.

Mark.

3. Phil38

Phil38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark.

Thanx for responding.

The dvd player is an all in one system. It is a Minato EC-105B. The player is a dvd/receiver. I know that it won't put DTS or anything like that through my TV but it would be nice to hear the sound from TV through the speakers. I may be wrong but I believe that when I finally get it connected properly I should be able to this ok. Your help is greatly appreciated as my kida don't think I suit a nearly bald head cos I have pulled nearly all mine out.

thanx again. Phil.:smashin:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Right had a quick search on Google and all I could find for Minato was the G1. So lets try to get this sorted blind:p

You say you have a 3 way scart switch so:-
    Plug VCR DVD & Sky into the 3 inputs
    Plug switch box into TV
    Connect VCR out scart on Sky to the VCR AV2 input (can then record from Sky).
    all obvious so far I think!
    Now all the scart cables are putting a signal into the TV, but nothing is coming back out, but I guess you already knew that! :rolleyes: so:-
    Your TV is nicam so it should have red & white phono sockets on the back. Connect a set of leads from here to the Minato EC-105B. You now have a signal path back to the amp/speakers and with a bit of luck the kids (and you) are all happy as DVD's are now in DD/DTS :clap: & TV/Sky/VCR are in DPL.
    If there are no phono connecters on the back of the TV then you will have them on the Sky box and probably the VCR. If going from the boxes, not the TV, you will need 2 sets of phono leads going back to the amp and 2 inputs on the amp.

Hope this all makes sense.
    Mark.