Please help a newbie with Chromecast Audio on Windows :)

chippyteaforme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just got my Chromecast Audio, which I'm planning on using in Windows with 'normal' music apps. I didn't realise before purchase that the device seems to be designed to force you to use Google Chrome as playback software - I'm wanting to use it with any normal Windows music playback program (ideally not Windows Media Player though!).

Ideally the simpler the software the better as this was actually bought for my dad (who isn't a fan of Chrome, he prefers IE) because due to failing eyesight e.t.c. I thought his laptop screen would make a good UI for playing media rather than a tiny screen on a hi-fi across the room.

Any help / advice or anything would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey all,

I've just got my Chromecast Audio, which I'm planning on using in Windows with 'normal' music apps. I didn't realise before purchase that the device seems to be designed to force you to use Google Chrome as playback software - I'm wanting to use it with any normal Windows music playback program (ideally not Windows Media Player though!).

Ideally the simpler the software the better as this was actually bought for my dad (who isn't a fan of Chrome, he prefers IE) because due to failing eyesight e.t.c. I thought his laptop screen would make a good UI for playing media rather than a tiny screen on a hi-fi across the room.

Any help / advice or anything would be greatly appreciated :)
Hi Chippyteaforme

I'm assuming by wanting to use the Chromecast Audio with a 'normal music playback program' you mean you require an application that provides a way to get the Chromecast Audio to network stream and play actual music files stored on the laptop. This is possible as you can get the Chromecast Audio to behave like a Squeezebox and use the Squeezebox's media server application, Logitech Media Server (LMS), to provide the music files to the Chromecast Audio for streaming.

LMS has a built in controller application to select the playlist tracks from its music file library and control the playback on the Squeezebox. The controller application is accessable from any web browser, so your father should be able to use IE with it.
The latest build of LMS to install on the Windows laptop is available here:
Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.9

The other component to add is the emulator for the Chromecast Audio to get it behave as a Squeezebox streamer and this is the third party LMS plugin called CastBridge/squeezetocast :
Announce: CastBridge = integrate Chromecast players with LMS (squeeze2cast)

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom