1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help a Newbie sort out a system quickly.. (potential reward)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simonse16, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Simonse16

Simonse16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been reading the forums now for 3 months, and having put off buying a projector for the past 18m, a new job is making it possible.. However despite having viewed a dozen demos.. I'm none the wiser.. as each have been separate and on different set-ups.

I'm looking to get a projector mainly for DVD use (and occasional PC graphics / divx) I'm starting from scratch so will need a projector & component DVD player, theatre sound and ..
    well you tell me..

Ideally onto the walls (white plaster) or would want to be able to completely take away any screen. The projector being placed on a table top rather than wall mounted. (I'm ok with DIY but can't do serious work to the place)

My budget keeps changing from £2000 to £5000
    (though as you can guess I'd like to keep it down)

I'm used to the sound market - hence technics / pioneer cdjs etc.. with clear market leaders.. but for the PJ every review says slighlty different things .. other than £10K CRT are good.

Ideally like to buy soon.

so far have seen:

Panny AE-100 - seemed good but not a fan of unreliability (see posts on this forum)
    Optoma Themescene.. - it was v good.. but that was in Harrods on a £2k screen..
    Sony models (lower spec)
    Epson old models

people seem to say Toshiba 220 DVD player should be ok, but no progressive scan.

so please please please help..
    very confused youngster looking for guidance

Thanks,
    Si

ps
    Where are the best places to demo in central London?
    ideally side by side..

psps
    the reward.. well the best advice will get free tickets to lots of fun parties in London, and some DVD exclusives (friends @ Paramount)

2. aroquentin

aroquentin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Sanyo PLV-70. It's simply stunning. It has a VERY bright VERY high res. picture with none of the problems associated with DLP. It is also versatile due to the lens shift so you could table mount it and it is bright enough to view with quite a large amount of ambient light or even daylight (see 2nd review below). It is the best value under 5k available today. It is priced at 4k or below.

This is good advice ;) . Read these reviews:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_70.htm

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment17.shtml

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=4

As to the sound system, if you want to save money get a simple, stylish home cinema surround sound system, otherwise you can spend as much as you want and you surely know more than I do about audio. Get a progressive DVD player or use an HCPC, the Sanyo has an excellent internal scaler but I'm sure progressive video would yield the best picture. Get a tripod or wall-mounted (removable) screen or just project on the wall (although the PLV-70 is so bright that a white wall might be overly bright).

This is a package that would come in a the high-end of your stated budget obviously but it should remain impressive for quite a few years. If you want to spend less, consider the AE300 and the Sony HS10.

Roq

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Si,

Sevenoaks sound and vision near me (Crawley) can demo Sim2, Optima and the Sanyo PLV-Z1.

Here are my findings..

I looked at the Sim2 HT200...£4k. I really liked the picture quality but was put off by the annouying rainbow effect (you see squiggles of colour out of the corner of your eye). I thought the Optima suffered even more from this. The shop dude said you get used to it after a week or so. But I didn't like the fact that my friends and family would be annouyed by it :(

I decided to go for the Sanyo Z1... £1.2k and spend some of the savings on extras . I also got a brightview box to convert ALL my signals into progressive scan (freeview, XBOX and DVD). A quattro+ box, a RGB scart - component converter and a load of cables. This allows me to connect everything to my projector and TV. All this for less than £2.5k. I'm really impressed by the pictures this produces and so is everyone else that comes round.

Good luck mate. Don't spend too much time looking 'cos you'll disappear up your own exhaust :D

Jus.

4. Simonse16

Simonse16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well after the two replies..( thank you for those) I went out perusing Tottenham Court road in search of pj demos and advice..

1st thing.. most of them know nothing..
    reminds me not to ask.. you saw "component video" and they all nod.. and they go what's that for..

but one dealer had a good demo room (apart from the appaling interference from his switching box..)
    and got to see the panny vs a Sony VPL-HS11, and some other misc brands

I'm not quite sure about that name though.. haven't seen it anywhere else? but he says it's the new one after the HS10.

and.. well wow!. He has it for £4000. (can't tell how that compares..?)
    So at the top of my range for the PJ.
    We had it on his screen and also on his whitish wall (no difference that I can see..) at full zoom - about 12ft wide
    In comparison.. well the screendoor on the panny really gripped me (I hadn't been bothered by it before) but on the Sony.. hardly there at all. saw MI2.. and the close ups on Tom's face were unbelievable..

Then spent the evening watching Donnie Darko @ the Troc cinema .. small screen ever 20ft wide.. and not much of a better picture..

Thoughts and advice people...

Thanks..

Si

ps

The audio question remains..
    the simplicity of a Sony all in one box (either a Dav 550){480} or HT range {800} or.. other some other separates with an AV receiver.. etc..

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As you're in the South East, I'd recommend Musical Images down in Beckenham for projector demonstrations - I had a demo of the Sony VW10 and HS1 over a year ago and they were very helpful.

There's been a lot of talk on these forums recently about new models from Sony and Panasonic - the Sony HS10 sounds promising but I'm not sure about availability. Have you looked at the Sanyo Z1?

There are lots of all-in-one systems out there but I think a 5.1 speaker system of separates and amp/receiver are better since it gives you more upgrade options - if you're new to this game, you'll want to upgrade! I won't try and recommend anything since I've not auditioned all-in-one systems.

The other thing to consider is a DVD player with PAL/NTSC progressive output - that could take a sizeable chunk of your budget too.