1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a newbie - real problems with Maraznz SR4300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Argento, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two weird problem seem to be happening:

1: In DDex mode - the amp doesn't seem to be picking up the rear centre speaker - when you switch to DTSes it picks it up no prob - when I say pick it up, what I mean is display the Rear Back speaker on the graphic interface.

2: I'm using the amp with a Limit DVD9900SE player - so far, no probs - apart from when I want to play DVD Audio. I have all the cables on the 6.1going from the DVD to the Amp - and I press the 6.1 button on the front of the amp and am BLASTED with screaching white noise.....

On Alanis Morrisette I can play stereo, on Paul Simon, it lets me play Stereo. Soon as I select play songs in surround.....blasted with static!!

Any ideas

Rich

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just some thoughts...

1) No idea. Perhaps the DTS mode is the Discrete one with the extra channel and that is what the graphical display is showing?

2) Is the Limit DVD player DVD-Audio capable? Just because there are 6.1 outputs on the back of the player doesn't mean that it will decode DVD-A. If the player can't decode DVD-A, you will only be able to play the Dolby Digital track. I believe that the DD track can be stereo, or 5.1, though I am not sure on this.

Russell

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    hi , the marantz will only show the centre rear channel on its display when decoding DTS-ES as this is discreet .DD-EX is only matrix encoded.

the limit player does decode dvd audio, so this looks like you maybe experiencing a fault.

4. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help with the 1st point - I think you're right, problem solved.

The DVD-A problem though is really a headache- does anyone have a limit, and if so what are their audio settings? Or anybody have the same amp - and again, what are the right settings?

Sorry for beings such a newbie - I'll get there in the end!

Rich

5. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    hi again, i had a limit untill the other day sent it back for a number of reasons but never did get round to testing the dvd audio.

I myself have the SR5300 , so as long as you have selected 6.1CH IN, and the amp is in analogue mode you should be able to hear your dvd audio.

6. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in saying that I simply press the 6.1 audio button - it jumps to analouge mode and should play - if so that's what I', doing......

Any other advice you could give - ie - settings I don't know on my new amp....

Rich

7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Sorry to sound a bit patronising,but you have got the outputs from the dvd into the inputs and not the preouts havent you?

8. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep!

Rich

9. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took the Limit back and even Richer couldn't get their player (on test) to play a dvd-a I took in!

So watch IT!!!!

Limit machine seems not to be able to play dvd-a!!!

Rich

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I know this is a bit late ... but I might have just had a brain storm ...

If you press the "6.1" button on the Amp / Remote control (certainly on my SR5200) this forces the Amp to produce 6.1 rather than 5.1 from it's digital input. Cause if you think about it

Now if the SR5300 works the same way ... you're forcing it to decode the signal on the digital input which is just a load of nonsence cause as we all know DVD-A can't be passed down the SPDIF connector. I'm not sure how it's labled (never used it) but there should be another button to use the multi-channel inputs.

To use the multi-channel input (on a SR5200) you need to use the on-screen display to set one of the sources to use the 7-ch input.

Now I agree that when you are playing a DVD-A this **SHOULDN'T** happen ... but I think everyone will agree that it's not unknown - especially on far eastern products - for their to be "features" like this in products.

Anyway ... having said all that I may be completely wrong as I don't know what amp you have, etc.

Victoria