• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please help a newbie. Easy Question...

G

green_photos

Q1: I am thinking of buying a Sony HXD1065

Is it worth it for the bigger HDD or can I buy a cheaper one then swap the HDD my self?

Q2: What is the difference between a DVD/HDD Recorder and a 'PVR' system?

We currently have non HD Sony 28" CRT TV, Sony DVD Player, Phillips VCR and Sony Freeview (the one with all the problems)

Thanks in advance! :hiya:

Mark
:D

Alun

Q1. Dont know, sorry

Q2. A PVR will have one or two in-built TV tuners that will allow you to pause, rewind, and record Live TV programs (not all specs the same), to an in built hard disk.

As a rule of thumb, if its got an hdd its a PVR.(very general rule of thumb mind, though I dont think Ive seen a HDD recorder without an inbuilt tuner)
A dvd recorder is just that. It takes an audio/video input and records it direct to dvd.

Some PVR's have both HDD and DVD, this will allow archiving of stuff recorded on HDD to DVD.

G

green_photos

Thanks for the info, I am eagerly awaiting more info on the HXD1065.... Here's hoping! :)

Lets hope backup up from HDD to DVD is easy...!

Hal_loe

Q1: I am thinking of buying a Sony HXD1065

Is it worth it for the bigger HDD or can I buy a cheaper one then swap the HDD my self?

Sorry don't know the model, but not normally that simply it isn't possible with Panasonic units.

Q2: What is the difference between a DVD/HDD Recorder and a 'PVR' system?

I'd say the general rules are :-

A PVR is a Hard Drive Recorder, which usually cannot record from external sources such as VHS as they have not MPEG2 encoder (Tivo was different but there is nothing like it from the main manufactur's).

Examples of PVR are Freeview Hard Drive Recorders Twin or Single Tuners and SKY+. These don't have DVD Recorders and record the transmitted stream.

A DVD/HDD Recorder is a DVD Recorder with the addition of a Hard Drive which offers more flexibility than a DVD Recorder alone, such as editing recordings on the Hard Drive / burning to DVD if you wish to keep the recording.

DVD/HDD Recorders do not offer as much flexability as say a Freeview PVR as they don't have Twin Tuners and don't have a buffer to enable you to rewind live TV.

The name PVR has become rather confused as to what it acctually describes in recent years.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom