1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help a n00b out :(

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mistymh, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mistymh

mistymh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys.
    Im new here (as u can tell by the post count and everything else.) But i wanna get into Projection screens... - not in a big way. just need something to get me by. at the moment i have a 14" crt tv in my bedroom, and i want something alot bigger. preferably on my wall. so my first thought went to a plasma/LCD... but the cost of them is excrusiating(sp?). so then i thought... why not get a projector and use it as a tv... i dont need a tv tuner, as i have cable in my room, so i can use that as a tv box.

so i started checking them out, in the usual places... ebay, ebuyer, uk.insight.com, u know, where people generally look.

so i have about £300-£500 and i want something thats going to last well over a year, of generally about 5 hours of use per day. and its got to work in general bedroom conditions.(sun through the window, dark room, lights on, etc.) so, from what i gather, the higher Lumens, the better it will be in daylight? (brighter lamp?).

right. my next dilemma, was how am i going to plug all my stuff into it, if its on the ceiling pointing at my wall. power wise, i dont mind putting a hole in the ceiling and wiring it through the loft. (its tidier than having a thick kettle lead going up the wall and accross the ceiling.) right so now, ive sorted power. i need a picture. so i have various things (dvd/video combi, and cable, and i might want to put my laptop thought it.)

right, so from what i gather SVHS socket gives the best quality generally, so i would be able to get SCART -> SVHS leads for combi and cable, and my laptop has a port anyway, so where would i get a box where i can plug 3 SVHS leads in, with a switch to choose which one i want to send out of it? i know they exist for SCART sockets, but do they make SVHS ones? and if so how much are they generally?

im trying to tally it all up and see if it would ber worthwhile going projector wise or just going all out and getting a plasma.

right, i think thats all.

oh yeah... sometimes i watch tv (like now) at 4:30 in the morning, and i need to keep the volume down, coz the parents are next door, so i dont want a noisy fan that i have to turn the volume up fairly loud to hear it, coz it might wake the elders.

ok, any advice/help would be much appreciated.

as i say, im a noob, and i dont want to be taken for a ride. and i dont want to buy something that i will later regret.

1 Final thing. i will be projecting onto a wall, approx: 30" x 48" if that matters any?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    No projector will rival a plasma TV at your screen size, in a brightly lit room, no matter how many lumens the projector can output! With sunlight coming through the window, you'd struggle to even make the picture out at all (and TBH, in this situation even plasmas and CRTs suffer as well)
    None are silent either - usually they aren't noisy enough for it to be problem in a "normal" film watching session, but trying to watch TV at 4:30 in the morning while trying not to wake others will most probably mean that the fan noise IS a problem.

That said, unfortunately you won't be able get a 50" plasma within your budget either, or even 42".

So, I think you need to decide on your intended use first - if you are prepared to watch in darkness (it doesn't have to be pitch black) then a projector is a possibility (at your screen size, there's little need to worry that much about lumen output - they are practically all bright enough for that). If not, then I'd have to say you'd be better off with a plasma - and for that you'll have to spend a fair bit more than £500.
    (TBH you probably have to do that with a PJ too, even a budget model would still need a screen and a ceiling mount, which will cost a couple of hundred, unless you are prepared to go DIY)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Watching a PJ in daylight is a no no. It doesn't have to be pitch black, but the darker the better.

That's a relatively small image you are planning for a PJ, but it does have the advantage that it will help with brightness.

I often watch the PJ with the sound very low and the lamp isn't that intrusive. It certainly won't be a problem waking up parents in another room.

S-Vid is not a bad way of connecting the PJ, but Component is better (as is SCART), and even better (allegedly ;) ) is DVV/HDMI. You need to think carefully about connections, and how to run them to the PJ.

Toshiba ET1 for £360ish may be an option if you can vary the distance between your PJ and the projection wall ('cause the ET1 doesn't have optical zoom).

If you are going to ceiling mount it, budget for a bracket or look around for some DIY advice.

You should get at least a year from a PJ even at 5 hrs a day, but lamp life isn't guaranteed and does vary. Be extremely careful of buying 2nd hand, PJ's are not the most robust technology. Lamp hours can be reset by the unscupulous without changing the bulb. However a genuine unit from someone on an upgrade path could be a bargain.

Good luck...PJ