1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help a beginner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scallywag, Jan 6, 2003.

1. scallywag

scallywag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good morning all

Please can I ask for some friendly advice regarding projecters as I am completley new to all this malarki.

1. I was either going for the Sony VPL-HS1 or VPL-HS2, I am assuming the HS2 is a better machine but if someone could let me know the advantages and if it is a better machine. And why is it that the HS1 appears to be the older machine but I cannot find any decent review or information on the HS2.

2. I am concerned that I will not be able to hook all my other equipment to it as I would a normal TV. I need my projector to accomodate: Sony Smart engine VCR
    Sony DAV-S550 dvd home cinema
    Nintendo Gamecube
    Sky Digital

Is this all possible???

3. Ideally, I do not wish to purchase a screen for my projector, Is this a good attitude to have or do I need a screen??

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Kind Regards

Scallywag

2. scallywag

scallywag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, 20 people looked and not one person could help me out,

Nice to see you welcome new comers,

Was my mail really that bad

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Ok I'll try to help, nut let me say 1st that I know nothing about the HS2 although I do have the HS1.

As regards to connections the HS1 has 1x Compersite, 1x SVideo and a Sony Multiplug (which you have to buy special leads that allow a further SVideo or compersite, or component or 15pin D connecror for a computer).

My best advise would be to demo if you are happy with the quality from SVideo then you have no probs as you will need an amp anyway for sound and most AV amps do SVideo switching.

Hope this helps

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Scallywag,

You might have better luck this evening when more folk are logged on... your question is also so far ranging that many might have better things to do on a Monday morning (work, for instance.....) than dig out details and reviews of projectors (whiich you could do yourself with some surfing)

For now - I have see the HS1 in action, and you'll probably have a hard time finding a revirew of the HS2, as its fairly new.

You could connect the Sony DVD system to the Projector using SVideo, pt the Sky feed thru' the VCR and feed to the Projector via composite (this mightn't be optimal). You'd prob have to do some switching when you wanted to use Gamecube, unless you can feed it also through the VCR, and use the VCR to switch between Sky, Video and Gamecube.

The main difference between the HS1 and HS2 is that the HS1 has 700 ansi lumens, 400:1 contrast ratio; SVGA (800 x 600) panel resolution.

The HS2 has a wide VGA LCD panel (854 x 480 resolution), 1000 ANSI lumens and a 600:1 contrast ratio.

The HS2 is obviously an improvement, with native widescreen lcd panel, greater contrast and consideably brighter than the HS1.

You wouldn't be the first person to use a projector without a screen, but most here would probably recommend a screen with a black border to enhance the image from a projector. Remember that the mage you see is affected by the surface from which it is reflected.

It should be pointed out that the current crop of projectors (Sanyo PLV Z1, Panasonic AE 300, Sony HS 10) all have widescreen lcd panels with greater resolution than 854x480 - this resolution is the same as that of the Panasonic AE100, which was introduced almost a year ago. In general terms, the higher the resolution of the panel, the better- it yields a better defined image, with less screendoor. The Sanyo Z1 is prob around the same price point as the HS2, and I reckon the Z1 owners here would back it against the Sony. Incidentally Projectorcentral.com is a useful source for reviews, specs of projs and throw distance calculators. (I can feel a "throw distance calculation question" coming - you've now been pointed at the source of all knowledge on the topic !)

You should try to go and see the projectors you're interested in yourself - its the only way you can really tell what might suit you.

Sean G.

5. scallywag

scallywag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your reply

You were a lot bigger help than the 3 sales representitives I spoke to at Sony.

Regards

Mark

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    scallywag

Just noticed your location, your not a million miles away if you want afull demo of the HS1 let me know and you can come round

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

You're very welcome - in my experience the sales people working in Sony Centres and the like are woeful - you'd think they'd take the time to read the f$cking brochures and be capable of explaining and demo'ing equipment competently ! Most of them know their way around hi fi ok but when it comes to AV............:mad:

What really gets up my nose is that they will tirelessly go fom one scabby boombox to another to sell some teenager his next source of noise, but are completely unable to set up and show off a projector (costing15 times as much) and a sound system to someone who would actually buy it from them.

Ooooops ! another rant !!

I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant I must not rant .

JonMace,

Quote:
    Just noticed your location, your not a million miles away if you want afull demo of the HS1 let me know and you can come round
    End Quote.

Topping ! Thats quite a decent thing to do.

See ya

Sean G.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny shops are just the same.

I asked them if the have any prog scan dvd players. The assistant went to see the manager, who said that prog scan is always built into the projector and never in the player :rolleyes:

The shop wanted 4,800 for the 42" plasma...when you can get it for 3.3K on the net....still....the extra money is worth it for their expertise :D

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    JUS,

Don't get me started on Prog scan and component video !! If I had a £ for everytime someone has said "Oh Yeah" and showed me the single yellow RCA socket at the back............! "......Er, no, actually...." you go, to a blank stare.......

Its enough to drive anyone to drink (and does on a fequent basis............ every cloud has a silver lining).

Sean G.

10. murph200140

murph200140
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scallywag
    I got the hs2 just before xmas , and have been very pleased with it . Like the hs1 it has got a svideo connector or the multi pj connector . I had a demo of the hs1 and was immpressed with that , but decided to wait until the hs2 came out . Got a sony screen to go with it for a very reasonable £80 .The screen is a bit bulky but will slide away somewhere .But I must admit I would prefer to have one ceiling mounted to make life easier.I've found the side shot feature a bonus with the hs2 because it enables you to put the pj off to one side so that the kids (or any other clumsy sod ) is unlikely to knock it flying .Haven't tried it on the ps2 as I didn't want to rack up to many hours .So I am using mine mainly for dvd's .
    Cheers Murph