Please give your opinion on the 4 photo's

The Gooner

Novice Member
No 1 for me

l-rs

Standard Member
No 1 is the sharpest, but artificially so. The 4th is less sharp but to me sharper than 2 and 3 and more natural.

allymac123

Novice Member
I'm obviously a weirdo cos I think 4 is the sharpest!!

At least if your trying to convince yourself to buy an expensive lens it looks like you don't need it!

FrankfurtDave

Novice Member
Very odd the differences in opinion as I would have said no.3

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Number 2 for me.

Just call me Al

Novice Member
I think number one is sharpist. This is what we did. We used a tripod for all the photos & also timer.
Number one is a Canon EOS 400D with a Canon 70-300IS lens.
Number Two is a Nikon D200 with a New Sigma 150-500 lens.
Number Three is a Nikon D200 with a New Sigma 150-500 & 2x converter @ 100 ISO
Number Four is a Nikon D200 with a New Sigma 150-500 & 2x converter @ 200 ISO.

When cropped to the same size the Canon seems to win. Amazing. I want to buy a Sigma 150-500 lens, hence the tests, but unless anyone can come up with a reason it seems I'm wasting my time.

T0MAT01

Novice Member
I want to buy a Sigma 150-500 lens, hence the tests, but unless anyone can come up with a reason it seems I'm wasting my time.
Interesting results.
I like the range of the new Sigma too, but somehow all of the results I've seen seem to push me away from it.

Tobers

I'd say #4.

#1 looks too processed and jaggy like it has been oversharpened in the camera. #4 looks most natural and would take to a slight post-processing sharpening very well I think.

scoobysti

Novice Member
number 4 for me looks the most natural, as for sharpness.mmmmmmmmmm number 4:thumbsup:

stevegreen

When cropped to the same size the Canon seems to win. Amazing. I want to buy a Sigma 150-500 lens, hence the tests, but unless anyone can come up with a reason it seems I'm wasting my time.
What focal length and aperture were used? I assume that this was kept consistent with all of the shots otherwise the entire test is a waste of time :)

Are they centre crops or corner crops, the CA looks pretty bad on #2.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett