please give advive on improving my home theatre setup

lodwales

Standard Member
i want to start slowly improving my sound setup mainly the speakers so need advive and good links, i have my setup in my bedroom so not after loudness, but at the moment doesnt seem like there is a lot of depth in my sound, and my rear speakers are very poor, not sure it amp is set up wrong but speakers sound very tinny with no bass, also is it worth upgrading to 6.1 or 7.1 or not yet

here is my set up at the moment

sharp dlp z200e dlp

yamaha dsp 757se amp

centre spk gale 4050

front spk gale gold monitor mk2

rear spk glale 3010

sup yamaha ysp sw005

i'd strongly advise you not to go for 6.1 or 7.1 in a bedroom set up unless its a huge bedroom as it won't really be worth it.

you could try and have a play with your amp but if your speakers are lacking some depth i'd say upgrade your subwoofer to improve the bottom end. Also make sure all your equipment is on decent stands/racks.

you have'nt stated a budget but you could look at upgrading your rears or move your fronts to the rears and get some even better fronts :rolleyes: and of course the most important speaker in a 5.1 system is the centre!

lodwales

Standard Member
i'd strongly advise you not to go for 6.1 or 7.1 in a bedroom set up unless its a huge bedroom as it won't really be worth it.

you could try and have a play with your amp but if your speakers are lacking some depth i'd say upgrade your subwoofer to improve the bottom end. Also make sure all your equipment is on decent stands/racks.

you have'nt stated a budget but you could look at upgrading your rears or move your fronts to the rears and get some even better fronts :rolleyes: and of course the most important speaker in a 5.1 system is the centre!

so what are decent centres front and sub w, looking no more than £450 if i have to get the lot

there'll be many peoples opinions on this but i'd look at something by b&w but if there a little pricey then look at soemone like Mission/KEF.

you could push and get some b&w 603-s3 which has superb bass repsonse and great for home cinema and a matching lcr 60/600 centre speaker should be able to get that lot for £300 - £400 and no need for a sub.

Only thing is you'd probably want to then upgrade your amp to something a little bit beefier to do them any justice......oh the upgrade bug :rolleyes:

lodwales

Standard Member
there'll be many peoples opinions on this but i'd look at something by b&w but if there a little pricey then look at soemone like Mission/KEF.

you could push and get some b&w 603-s3 which has superb bass repsonse and great for home cinema and a matching lcr 60/600 centre speaker should be able to get that lot for £300 - £400 and no need for a sub.

Only thing is you'd probably want to then upgrade your amp to something a little bit beefier to do them any justice......oh the upgrade bug :rolleyes:

ok guys can you give me some links for front floor standers and centre spekers do not want to go above the £350 ao both

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Arcam Boy is quite right. I'd seriously look at the sub and stick to 5.1. Five good speakers will always beat seven average ones.

A good sub isn't all about wall wobbling bass, although that's nice. A goodun will deliver:

Deep clean bass that'll deliver at all volumes. It's surprising how subtle a good sub is at low volumes. The lack of distortion is less prone to annoying people in adjoining rooms too.

A massive increase in scale to the whole sound. Let's face it, this sounds like what you are missing.

The ability to handle ALL of the frequencies below crossover for all of the speakers. This will give your current amp and speakers an easier ride that will benefit you in terms of headroom and therefore clarity and sense of ease.

With your budget, you'll afford a subwoofer that will support you through a good few upgrades to come, which, for the sake of arguement would be the front three speakers. I know they're not as big as the Gales, but having heard the Cantons in the powerbuys at the Bristol show I was staggered at the quality on offer. As with 5.1 v 7.1 less can be a lot more if it's good quality and may convince you, in league with a good sub that floorstanders aren't the be all, end all.

Russell

Helicon

Banned
I would be very careful about going for speakers like B&W 600 series, particularly floor standers as they produce a lot of bass, and usually need a bloody good hi-fi amp to keep them under control. Most AV receivers under £1k aren't going to do the job properly. I'd say you're looking at Arcam AVR-350/Denon AVR-4306 territory to start to get good results. Otherwise you'll be getting a dull booming inarticulate bass.

I hate to think how many people round the country are using B&W 600 series with insufficient amplification, completely unaware their speaker can sound 50 times better.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom