Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Please explain this RGB/Resolution to me

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Slinkoff, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've been trying to find out from Panasonic just what resolutions my TV supports as it's not in the manual or online anywhere. The reply I got back from support was:

"the TX36PL32 television can accept up to a 720p or 720i image
    only. However, it will only accept this resolution from a DVD player or
    other device as it has not been designed to accept PC RGB."

Can somebody explain what this means and what the difference is between the signal from a DVD player and that from a PC/RGB is please?

Is there any way round this? I'm currently viewing at 480p using the ATI dongle to component input on my TV. The desktop is stable and not overscanned but everything is a bit large. I was hoping to try and achieve a better resolution by buying the VGA-Scart cable and trying to connect that way because I've had no joy setting the dongle to 720p and fiddling with Powerstrip (even though it works fine for 480p).

Thanks
    Slink

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i'll have a go at this for you :)

pc vga monitor connectors (the ones with 3 rows of 5 pins) DO use an RGB system to get the image to a computer monitor's screen ... but its not tv RGB compatible because monitors run at a much higher refresh rate (update speed) to keep the image sharp. With an ati card its possible to take the rgb from the vga 15 pin socket and plug it directly into a tv's rgb scart input by using powerstrip to fluff around with the timings and slow everything down to tv world speed.

you've got the ati component dongle ... this is working with component video signals not rgb signals. i'd suspect that flicking the dongle to 720 and setting a PC resolution of 1280x720 would get you the image you want. I wouldn't be troubling powerstrip for now. The ati drivers support this mode by default, no powerstrip tweaking required.

Resolution ... you're working with a 16:9 widescreen set - regular widescreen TV is transmitted at "576" thats the height of the image in pixels and is the 9 part of 16:9 ... the width is therefore 576/9*16=1024. for 720 its 1280x720 ... i have that res running fine with my panasonic pj using the ati dvi-component dongle.

HTH

Duncan

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the info. I set 720p on the dongle, disabled powerstrip, rebooted and then attempted the 1280x720 res. It didn't work. I'm wondering if I've been misinformed by Panasonic.

I think I'll have to try the vga-scart option as well just to be sure that 480p really is the best res I can hope for with my TV.

4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If you go vga scart you'll need to work with the 1024x576 I mentioned. Thats what I'm using with my 32" similar panasonic tv (32pl10). for regular mce tv\dvd watching is perfect :)