1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Explain Native Resolution

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nheather, Sep 6, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,561
    Several posts have expressed disappointment that the majority of panels (including the Panny PHD7 and PHD8) do not support native resolution at 50Hz.

If I take a 42" PHD7 as an example, the panel is 1024 x 768, which I assume is the native resolution.

I can understand that it is desirable to be able to use a scaler to feed the panel with 1024x768 image and that to avoid frame rate conversion it would be best if the panel accepted a 50Hz signal.

So the disappointment that the panel doesn't accept native resolution at 50Hz makes perfect sense.

Then I became confused because a number of experienced posters stated that the Panny panels will accept PC signals at virtually any rate you want to throw at it, even those not declared in manual. They suggested that you can feed the PC terminal with 1024x768@50Hz and the panel will display it without problem.

This is my confusion ....

What is the difference between

(a) Native resolution - 1024x768@50Hz
    (b) PC - 1024x768@50Hz

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Hello Nigel

The problem being the inability to accept the Native pixel count in a Digital format - you can often do it on Analogue as RGBHV but your just as likely to be snookered if your working with a Digital RGB or YUV signal from an HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) equipped SD or HD source.

As many of the current external Video Processor's have high quality Analogue to Digital conversion for your legacy sources plus Digital Inputs for SD and HD sources and Digital outputs with programmable pixel and refresh clocks a lot of folk look to have an all Digital signal path between the Video Processor and the Display.

Best regards

Joe

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    ...via a digital connection such as DVI or HDMI, whereas these same panels accept native resolution at 50Hz via analogue connections such as VGA.

It's all to do with the model of DVI Receiver chip that the manufacturer sourced for their display, the older ones only accepted 60Hz.

StooMonster