Please explain LG C9 ARC

Captainkrk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Ok...I just bought an LG C9 not to long ago and I am having some issues that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have my Xbox one X hooked up direct to TV (for vrr and dolby vision and other things as my onkyo receiver doesn't support eArc only Arc).

Now I'm confused as I know normal arc cannot pass things like dolby atmos and eArc can. When I watch things like marvel movies on disney+ it seems to work fine but when I play a game (that isn't even atmos, I like the upmix) there is quite a bit of audio lag. Now if I plug the Xbox direct into the hdmi port that is using the Arc on the receiver there is no audio lag but I lose vrr and dolby vision.

How is the audio different passing through the tv then it is direct to receiver? I have even tried setting the tv audio to bypass and passthrough and nothing works...there is only audio lag while playing the games. Is there any way I can fix this or do I need eArc? As I said the audio shouldn't be changed that drastically just because it's passing through the tv should it? The receiver does support atmos and dts: x and all that jazz. Anyways I hope this makes sense...thanks for the help.

ARC (WebOS auto) = Dolby/DTS 5.1 + PCM 2.0

eARC (webOS pass-through) =Dolby/DTS 7.1 + PCM 7.1

HDMI pass-through on receiver = Dolby/DTS 7.1 + PCM 7.1

So when using ARC and you have the bitstream Dolby Atmos mode set on Xbox it is outputting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 with Atmos. Dolby on LG is prone to lag and the virtual upmix the Xbox is doing may be adding extra lag to the audio chain.

When you are connected to the receiver the Xbox instead outputs Dolby MAT (PCM 7.1 + Atmos), as PCM is lower latency this may explain why it does not have the lag that ARC has.

I no longer have an Xbox but I think it does not have any fine grained audio controls were you could tell the streaming apps to use Dolby 5.1 and the games to use PCM 2.0 over the ARC.

A workaround is this eARC converter for existing receivers, however due to high demand it is often sold out. With that conveter in place it should be the same as if connected to the reciever with the Xbox using Dolby MAT.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom