Question Please critique this setup

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by tails007, Feb 5, 2017.

1. tails007

tails007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

I'm looking to setup a Dolby Atmos system in my lounge which is currently being renovated, walls off and being insulated etc.

I went into Richer Sounds this weekend and they have suggested the below - what do you all think? Obviously I could spend more and get something better, but within that ball park (2k) is there anything else i might want to look at?

The KEF's are below as they are thin and wont bug the wife too much. However, I was also thinking about in wall speakers that would fit flush - is that a better options cost wise? If so, what would you recommend?

TV wise this would be hooked up to Sky Q silver
    PS4 for blu rays and gaming

Anyway, this is the setup:

KEF T105
    Yamaha RXA660
    Monitor Audio CT165 trimless ceiling speakers

Thanks!

2. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    You might want to consider buying the KEF T101 and T101c separately, and looking a BK Electronics for the subwoofer. Even though boxy, it is often easier to hide the sub away somewhere than it is to hide floorstanding speakers. It would work out a bit cheaper as well. The KEF speakers individually are £750, but you should be able to get 10% off that, which would give you plenty for sub with some change left over for cables and stuff.

3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    My issue with in wall speakers is that you can't change them if you don't like them or upgrade without leaving holes in the walls i.e. very messy.

4. DrHarvey12

DrHarvey12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I'd definitely look at the Marantz SR6011 vs the Yamaha RXA-660.

Marantz SR6011 AV Receiver

Both seem to be the same price of £699. But the Marantz is a fairly high spec model featuring 9 channels of amplification and 11 channel processing vs the 7 channels of the Yamaha. You seem to be getting a lot more receiver for the money with the Marantz.

I've not heard the Kef or MA speakers you mention. I'd suggest you try the Q Acoustics range when you go to demo. They are pretty small speakers but do produce a good soundstage. As has been mentioned above I would probably look at a BK Electronics subwoofer as they are generally considered very good value for what you get.

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. tails007

tails007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Thanks for the responses above. I've now changed tact slightly and looking toward the below setup. This has all been guided by Richer Sounds so appreciate any advice/opinions!

Thanks!

Yamaha RXA660 (realised there was another suggestion above but not sure if that changes given the speaker change)
    Minotor audio WT265
    Monitor Audio WT180
    Monitor Audio WT150LCR
    Monitor Audio WS10
    Monitor Audio WS10 sub OR a BK model (awaiting response from my email to them)
    Monitor Audio CT165

6. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    Think I would definately go the BK route. More channels is great of you use them. Having unused channels is simply a waste of money.

Remember more features per pound general equates to less quality. I like Yamaha amps as they are solid and have good support.

The Denon X3300 is another one to consider. Denon in the UK seam to be very competitively priced.