Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Please critique - B&W vs Mission

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doctorjuggles, Mar 14, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My bonus is fast approaching and with the help of this board I've started to narrow things down. I'll be auditioning sometime soon at my local Sevenoaks, but in the meantime I'd like some opinions on what I'm looking at, which boils down to the following.

Either:
    Mission Setup
    Mission Volare V63 Floorstand £399.95
    Mission Volare V6C Centre £149.95
    Mission Volare V60 Surrounds £149.95 OR Mission Volare V61 Surrounds £249.95
    Total = £699.85 (with V60s)
    £799.85 (with V61s)

OR

B&W Setup
    B&W DM602.5 S3 Floorstand £399.95
    B&W LCR60 Centre £199.95
    B&W DM600 S3 Surrounds £199.95 OR B&W DM601 S3 Surrounds £249.95
    Total = £799.85 (with 600s)
    £849.85 (with 601s)

I really wanted to set my budget at £800 maximum, but if the 601s are going to work much better than the 600s in the B&W setup, I'd rather stretch. But I really can't go much past that.

I'll be pairing these speakers off with a Yamaha RX-V1500 and they'll be used for music and movie in about a 50/50 ratio. My initial plan was to go for the Genies, but I've since found that they don't perform so well with music.

I've also plumped for floorstanders for the moment because I don't really have much space for a sub at present. Once I move to a place with a little more space, I'll probably add a sub to the whole package. Please don't suggest systems or alternatives with subs in them.

A million thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether you go for mission or B&W will depend on your personal preference. The missions look better but in my opinion the B&Ws sound aLOT better, I found the missions really lacked bass even the V63. However thats just my personal opinion. Try them out and see.

Regarding the B&W setup, I'd go for the B&W 602S3s for front (£299). I know they are 'only' bookshelf speakers (although they are massive), but they have a larger driver than the 602.5s and a wider cabinet so I'm not sure that theres a lot of difference in overall cabinet volume. Certainly on paper there is no real difference in terms of frequency roll off although its what they sound like that matters. I certainly found them to have plenty of bass extension. You'll need to buy decent stands for them (60 pounds or so from HiFiBitz). This will let you have the 601s as rears and remain closer to budget. But try out the 600s to be honest. They might work out fine!

3. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could save up 200 pounds more and get the 603s :D

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the advice Matther54. I've actually just put in an offer for a set of 604s in the trading forum. I figure if I get those, then the cheaper 600s are definitely an option because I won't need them to make up for anything in the fronts. I've managed to pick up the 604s for £500. They're bigger than I wanted to get, but the offer was just far, far too good to pass on. For £100 more than the 602.5, I think it's a bargain. :smashin:

Thanks again for the opinions :thumbsup:

5. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds brilliant!
    They are gonna sound great!
    500 quid is an absolute bargain!

Happy listening :cool: