Please couls someone summarise my options for a 32" TV up to £400 or so? Please Help!

fabhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
First the background, we are currently the only people in the known universe still watching a CRT; Panasonic tx32pb50! TBH, it has been brilliant with Sky but, frankly, it's getting embarassing. Recently we have only had Freeview, the Freeview + box has now broken (HDD gone) and we dont want to fork out for a new one when you can get integral ones. So we need to upgrade when we move later this year and are planning to get a top of the range LED with all the bells and whistles to bring ourselves into the 21C :).

In the meantime, we need an interim solution that initially will go in the children's playroom for watching movies, watching TV and playing Wii. Ideally some sort of recording/pausing function that doesn't involve buying a new set top box. Budget of up to £400, preferably more like £300. Must be full HD with built in Freeview, preferably Freeview HD (after being without HD for so long!)

Originally I was looking at the:

Technika 23-231BB 23 inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV DVD Combi with Freeview & USB Player £180

as it seemed to tick a lot of the boxes. We could add a freeview HD set top box I suppose. However, I am aware that this is unbranded, sound won't be great etc and it occurred to me that for a bit more money I could get a 32" model from a proper manufacturer. So started looking at these:

Samsung LE32D580
Toshiba 32RV753DB
Sony Bravia KDL32CX523

But now am getting really confused about what to get! Am starying into a TV for us in the living room rather than playroom to replace the old CRT I know, but am loathe not to have up to date features now when buying a new TV after so long.

Please could someone who is on top of this give me some advice about which TVs I should be looking at as a good, high featured interim, no bigger than 32". Ideally Freeview HD built in but am prepared to add a DVD/Blu-Ray player. USB record would be fab though.

Please help as have confused myself now and the kids are clamouring for their new TV!

BTW, I know these "which 32" or smaller TV should I get" threads are probably getting boring but please take the time to give me some advice - we need our living room back! :)

Oh and one more thing, how important is 100hz vs 50 hz? Most of the smaller TVs seem to be 50hz but even our old Panasonic CRT does 100hz - if we are used to this should we be getting 100hz in new tv or does it matter less for newer/HD LCD TVs (please explain), thanks.

100hz is beneficial for sport only, reduces blur. You don't mention sport as a use so I wouldn't worry too much about it (lots of people turn it off for other uses anyhow as it can make the picture look over-smooth).

I'd probably go for a Sony or Samsung over a Toshiba. I also would be looking for a 5 year warranty for peace of mind :)

This also ticks all your boxes including budget with the extended warranty :) It is a 2010 model but gets decent press and you aren't paying the premium for a new model

LG 32LD490 | 32 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

yes sport is not a consideration (for me nor the kids, anyway :D) so I will stop worrying about 100hz thanks. That LG one does look good, thanks, I knew there was another brand I should be looking at (or even the 32LD690 which is 2011 I guess?)

Not sure if that is a 2011 model?

I was looking at the LG 32LE4900, which appears to be a LED version of the 490. When a TV demoblu-ray was being played through it, I thought the picture looked superb. But, upon coming home and looking for reviews, it seems that the motion handling is poor. Pity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom