• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please couls someone summarise my options for a 32" TV up to £400 or so? Please Help!

fabhead

Standard Member
First the background, we are currently the only people in the known universe still watching a CRT; Panasonic tx32pb50! TBH, it has been brilliant with Sky but, frankly, it's getting embarassing. Recently we have only had Freeview, the Freeview + box has now broken (HDD gone) and we dont want to fork out for a new one when you can get integral ones. So we need to upgrade when we move later this year and are planning to get a top of the range LED with all the bells and whistles to bring ourselves into the 21C :).

In the meantime, we need an interim solution that initially will go in the children's playroom for watching movies, watching TV and playing Wii. Ideally some sort of recording/pausing function that doesn't involve buying a new set top box. Budget of up to £400, preferably more like £300. Must be full HD with built in Freeview, preferably Freeview HD (after being without HD for so long!)

Originally I was looking at the:

Technika 23-231BB 23 inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV DVD Combi with Freeview & USB Player £180

as it seemed to tick a lot of the boxes. We could add a freeview HD set top box I suppose. However, I am aware that this is unbranded, sound won't be great etc and it occurred to me that for a bit more money I could get a 32" model from a proper manufacturer. So started looking at these:

Samsung LE32D580
Toshiba 32RV753DB
Sony Bravia KDL32CX523

But now am getting really confused about what to get! Am starying into a TV for us in the living room rather than playroom to replace the old CRT I know, but am loathe not to have up to date features now when buying a new TV after so long.

Please could someone who is on top of this give me some advice about which TVs I should be looking at as a good, high featured interim, no bigger than 32". Ideally Freeview HD built in but am prepared to add a DVD/Blu-Ray player. USB record would be fab though.

Please help as have confused myself now and the kids are clamouring for their new TV!

fabhead

Standard Member
BTW, I know these "which 32" or smaller TV should I get" threads are probably getting boring but please take the time to give me some advice - we need our living room back! :)

fabhead

Standard Member
Oh and one more thing, how important is 100hz vs 50 hz? Most of the smaller TVs seem to be 50hz but even our old Panasonic CRT does 100hz - if we are used to this should we be getting 100hz in new tv or does it matter less for newer/HD LCD TVs (please explain), thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
100hz is beneficial for sport only, reduces blur. You don't mention sport as a use so I wouldn't worry too much about it (lots of people turn it off for other uses anyhow as it can make the picture look over-smooth).

I'd probably go for a Sony or Samsung over a Toshiba. I also would be looking for a 5 year warranty for peace of mind :)

This also ticks all your boxes including budget with the extended warranty :) It is a 2010 model but gets decent press and you aren't paying the premium for a new model

LG 32LD490 | 32 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

fabhead

Standard Member
yes sport is not a consideration (for me nor the kids, anyway :D) so I will stop worrying about 100hz thanks. That LG one does look good, thanks, I knew there was another brand I should be looking at (or even the 32LD690 which is 2011 I guess?)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not sure if that is a 2011 model?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

LazySoAndSo

Established Member
I was looking at the LG 32LE4900, which appears to be a LED version of the 490. When a TV demoblu-ray was being played through it, I thought the picture looked superb. But, upon coming home and looking for reviews, it seems that the motion handling is poor. Pity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom