1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please could you help me with my new DVD recorder??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by funkedup, Dec 26, 2004.

1. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hiya guys and Happy Christmas!!

I hope someone can help me here!!!!

I bought my parents a DVD recorder for christmas. Now i set it up for them with the outside arieal going into the DVD recorder then the output areial from the DVD went into the VCR then the arieal output from the VCR went into the back of the TV. This was so that if either of the DVD recorder or VCR was turned off the TV could still recieve a picture.

The scart cables from the VCR and DVD recorder went into the back of the TV (luckily it has 2 scart inputs) The DVD recorder has componant and progressive scan but the TV doesn't support this hence why using scart!!

Anyway I then tuned the DVD player to recieve all the available channels (4) and set them to the correct stations.

We watched a DVD and it look good. But later that day we recorded some programs off the TV onto a blank DVD. When we played it back it didn't look very good. At first i thought this was because it was recording TV which was recieving its picture from an areial. But when the TV is recieving its picture straight from the arieal and not through anything the picture looks very good. I then watched some TV through the DVD recorder buy pressing the + - buttons and the picture looks (as i can best descibe) dull and dark compared to the TV recieving its picture from the arieal and not through the DVD recorder.

We were told by someone that it was due to a rubbish scart cable being used. So we went out and got a IXOS one which cost £40. I then used this to connect the DVD recorder to the TV. I then watch some TV through the DVD recorder again and the picture still looks dull and dark even after buying a top quality scart cable.

What have i done wrong guys?? I feel bad becuase my parents are new to this DVD thing and they had high hopes for it but at the moment VCR and normal TV looks better!!!!

Also the programs were recorded in Standard quality which is the second highest setting, so i don't think its that. This allowed us to record 2 hours.

One thing which confused me was that i bought some 120mins DVD+RW and with High Quality it would only let us record 1 hour we had to lower the quality to SQ to get 2 hours. Shouldn't we be able to get 2 hours at HQ

The DVD recorder is a Matsui DVDR100 if that helps

Hope you guys can help me!!! Please if you know anything let me know cos i want to get this working well for them!!!

Cheers guys :smashin:

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you watched the DVD via Scart (Aux) - What does the picture look like via TV tuner - have you tuned a channel of the TV to DVD?

the way you have scarted up can lead to feedback - You could also try unplugging the VCR>TV scart temporarily to eliminate this problem

if it's an older TV, quite frankly i cant see any benefit from scarting at all - there'll be virtually no picture difference between scart & coax in - just try tuning 2 additional channels for VCR & DVD & throw the scart leads away

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. - i would also change the coax route

Socket>VCR>DVD>TV

then they can archive tapes to DVD

4. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the reply!!

The TV is quite old i would say 7 years or so.

Using coaxil instead of scart?? Wouldn't this give a poor picture??

Answer to your question i did watch the DVD through the AV channel and did not set up a specific channel.

So far i actually have the coaxial going through Socket>VCR>DVD>TV

And the scarts are also pluging in too_One from the VCR into the back of the TV and one from the VCR to the back of the TV.

Could this be my problem?? Having too many leads plugged in??

There is no actual interferance the picture is very clean its just dull compared to ordinary TV!!

I was thinking would i need to have all the coaxials plugged in....or could i get away with just having the TV plugged into the external arieal and would the DVD/VCR recieve its picture from the TV through the scarts????

I want it set up so that they can record TV onto DVD if they need to copy video to DVD they can plug the scart from the VCR into the DVD's scart input (we've already tried that out)

Cheers :smashin:

5. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart connection 'should' be better, but on old TV it may not be any better than coax reception - if you tune a spare channel ( 6 and 7 maybe) on the TV to DVD (likewise with VCR) and compare the pictures quality

if you find the picture q via coax is better than it is via scart, you can either just throw the scart leads or take the DVD back and try another one

p.s. you should find scart 1 (Aux 1 or RGB) on your TV gives you better picture than Scart2

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I think you should also tell us who sold you you the £40 scart leads. I don't doubt they are of good quality and worth the money but the salesman was so obviously not tryng to help you with the real problem. :mad:

Still it should be easy to resell them.

7. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Dixons....need i say more :mad:

So do you guys think setting an actual channel for the DVD and VCR would be better than using the scarts??

One question which i asked earlier was, does the coaxil areial need to go through the DVD player?? Or can i have that going into the TV and just use the scart to connect the DVD and TV?? Would i be able to record TV setting it up this way??

Cheers :smashin:

8. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It's far better to have the coaxial going through the DVDR because then you can be recording something while watching another programme on the TV.

There may just be a difference in the TV picture contrast or brightness settings making the AV input duller than the usual TV channels.
    You may well find that tuning the TV to watch DVD via coax will give better looking results.

I should have guessed it would be a well known high street store that sold you the scart lead. :)

9. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have to have coax (aerial) feed to DVD, if you just had scart to TV, you'd only be able to record what's on screen

i'd take the scart leads straight back

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is a toughie, Funkedup..

Actually, it sounds to me that your setup is OK. What is odd is the absence of Freeview or Satellite...

Firstly, does your TV still receive a good RF picture when it is at the end of the daisy chain? If it too becomes dull, then your RF connections may be poor. If it is still vastly superior than the Recorder then I suspect that the recorders reciever may just be inferior to the TV's.

Is the picture from the Recorder just dull but of reasonable quality? If the quality is OK then check for a contrast adjustment in the Recorders Menu.

Check this, I don't know the Matsui recorder at all, but if you can check in it's AV output menu, try and see if it is trying to send pictures to the TV in RGB. If it is, and it should be, ensure your scart is connected to the RGB Scart in the TV. (Usually Ext 1)

However, this may not the best way to view RF recordings. It may be better to tune in a separate channel and view them that way. Is the picture dull this way too?

By the way, recording quality will not be dramatically better than the VHS recorder because your source signal is only RF. DVD Recorders really start to shine when they are recording from higher quality sources where the deficiences of VHS become more noticable.

Forget about the Component and Progressive Scan features, they only work through separate component connections and with LCD's and Plasmas.

Do a quick check before you return the Ixos cable. Run a Movie DVD in the Recorder. Connect the standard scart to Ext 1 on the TV (select AV1!) and watch it for a while. Then swap this one for the Ixos. Do you notice a difference?

If there is a difference then you can elect to keep the Ixos. I think, with Dixons, now that the packaging is open, you may struggle to return it anyway. For future reference, really good Scarts can be purchased online from Tvcables for £5.99. Metal bodies, gold connectors etc..

Good Luck,

Jimmy

11. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Funkedup, in my experience of using a DVD recorder with an older TV and with RF coax connections only, the DVD recordings always look as good as anything directly off-air. This is provided I don't try to record much more than 2 hours per disc.

Although scart connection are usually a definite improvement, with RF you are still entitled to expect considerably better performance than VHS.

12. gawaterman

gawaterman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sony DVD recorder and was having a similar problem . I connected 1 scart lead direct to the TV and the other thru my Yamaha home theatre setup. The picture thru the Yamaha box was great but the direct one was as you described it. Thought it might be the scart cable so swapped them around but it stayed on the same AV input. Then after a bit of experimenting found out that the contrast,colour,brightness and sharpness controls on the TV can be set differently for each AV input, so after a bit of fiddling with the above the both look the same. That MAY be your problem. BTW, this is a Grundig TV.