Answered Please could you advise on best fit TV?

Ash3000k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have a Sony KD-55X8509C which I don't really get along with (Android OS is a POS)

Its damaged so I should be getting some insurance money soon and Im wondering what to get in its place.

This is the equipment I have:

Apple TV 4K (love it)
Xbox X 4K
Virgin media 4k
Sony 5.1 Amp
5.1 Cambridge Audio surround sound speakers

What I use it for is:
30% Gaming
70% Movies / TV

Needs to be 55" minimum, don't care about 3D or OLED or Android TV or smart TV as I have the Apple TV, dont want LCD

Needs to be 4k UHD HDR

Id prefer to stick to Samsung or Sony as its what Im used to,

Thanks!!

Last edited:
If you don’t want lcd then it’s oled only. But would be useful to know budget.

Hi both, less thank 1K really, just want best bang per buck...

Have you put the latest android update onto the tv? I have just put it on my new Sony and it seems fine to me?

Any Sony will have the same android you were using or soon will update to the much improved one.

Have you put the latest android update onto the tv? I have just put it on my new Sony and it seems fine to me?

Any Sony will have the same android you were using or soon will update to the much improved one.
Hi, yea I put the latest one on, lots better but still random reboots and very sluggish interface,
I would prefer to pay less for a dumb TV as I already have apple TV for the smarts,

Given you don’t want lcd then the only option is the LG B8. Can be found for just over £1k.

There are no dumb 4K TVs.

thanks, Is there a 2018/2019 model version of my current one? I dont really want to downgrade on features if possible.

I cant just seem to find any normal LED ones?

Hi all,
I currently have a Sony KD-55X8509C which I don't really get along with (Android OS is a POS)

Its damaged so I should be getting some insurance money soon and Im wondering what to get in its place.

This is the equipment I have:

Apple TV 4K (love it)
Xbox X 4K
Virgin media 4k
Sony 5.1 Amp
5.1 Cambridge Audio surround sound speakers

What I use it for is:
30% Gaming
70% Movies / TV

Needs to be 55" minimum, don't care about 3D or OLED or Android TV or smart TV as I have the Apple TV, dont want LCD

Needs to be 4k UHD HDR

Id prefer to stick to Samsung or Sony as its what Im used to,

Thanks!!
If
thanks, Is there a 2018/2019 model version of my current one? I dont really want to downgrade on features if possible.

I cant just seem to find any normal LED ones?
Any non OLED is just a normal LED. Also known in today’s market as LCD.

The only option that gets close to the LG, size, feature and budget wise is the Sony XF90. That said, side by side with the B8, there’s not much point buying the Sony if you don’t want LCD.

If

Any non OLED is just a normal LED. Also known in today’s market as LCD.

The only option that gets close to the LG, size, feature and budget wise is the Sony XF90. That said, side by side with the B8, there’s not much point buying the Sony if you don’t want LCD.

Im confused, I was under the assumption there was three main panel types:
- OLED ; organic LED which are very prone to burn in
- LCD ; older type, not very good contrast ratios etc
- LED ; better in many ways than the LCD

Im confused, I was under the assumption there was three main panel types:
- OLED ; organic LED which are very prone to burn in
- LCD ; older type, not very good contrast ratios etc
- LED ; better in many ways than the LCD
LED TVs are sometimes referred to as LCD TVs.

Original LCDs used Cold cathode lamps to provide light, fired through an LCD panel, giving you the picture. These, to my knowledge, haven’t existed for a while.

Modern LED TVs use LED backlights, normally along the bottom or sides, to fire light behind the LCD panel, giving you the image. Cheaper, better, more efficient than Cathode.

LED TVs are sometimes referred to as LED/LCD because of how the image is produced. Currently, any TV that is not an oled is an LED/LCD tv.

Manufacturers play around with the performance of LED/LCD by adjusting the light creation and colour manipulation.

Behind the panel
Conventional LED TVs as I said are mostly bottom or edge lit. This is a solid, cheap way of making them but doesn’t give you great contrast or black levels, as for example, an image of the night sky with the moon in a top corner will see probably a vertical 3rd of the TV turn grey as the backlights turn on. Manufacturers try to fix this by implementing local dimming, where the Tv processor will dim as much of what should be black as possible, with varying results.

More advanced LED TVs use something called Full Array Dimming, or FALD (Sony XF90, Samsung 2018 Q8FN and Q9FN, 2019 Q90 and Q80, LG SK9500/SM9800 just as a few examples). Instead of the LEDs being along the bottom, they are arranged in grids directly behind the LCD. This allows them to get brighter, but far more accurate in the illumination of specific areas of the panel.

Thats an excellent explanation of the different panels etc thank you!

Then I was wrong when I said I didn't want an LCD, Im happy to have an LCD/LED one!

The cheaper the better for me tbh, Not sure how much I will even get from the insurance, its new for old so not sure which one they will think is the modern day equivalent,

From what I have read on here only option under 1k is Sony XF9005 55 inch if you want good tv with reasonable HDR (Xbox x etc.)

What is the deal with QLED, is it better than OLED?

LED is not the correct term for a TV, it refers to the lights used behind modern LCD TVs. There is only OLED and LCD available now.

LG B8 close to £1000 should be top priority for you!

What is the deal with QLED, is it better than OLED?
@SnegX is correct, that ultimately it is just an LED/LCD.

Expanding on my previous post, manufacturers play games with colours and contrasts using tech infront of the panel too.

Samsung use ‘Quantum Dots’ over the front of the panel, which normally come in reds, greens and blues. Shining light through these from the LCD panel boosts the corresponding colours, both in brightness and colour volume.

QLED is Samsung’s name for the brightness/colour boosting enhancement, Sony use a similar idea and call it Triluminos. Works in very much the same way.
LG use Nano Cells in their high end LCDs, but instead of adding brightness and colour, they remove the unwanted brightness and oversaturated colours. LGs philosophy seems to be about the realistic effects, whereas Samsung and Sony tend to push for brighter and more vivid pictures.

QLED better than OLED? Not that simple. Look in any YouTube comment section and it’s literal cancer, fanboys of each technology vilifying the other with no good reasons.
QLED/LED delivers a brighter picture, with higher colour volumes. Arguably better for bright rooms and daytime watching. Contrast between co,our and black isn’t perfect but is ok for most, but still not the OLED blacks people talk about.
OLED delivers a less bright (but still very punchy) picture, but more accurate colours, perfect contrasts and realistic colour volumes are arguably the ‘better’ picture, but it entirely depends on your preference and perception.

Last edited:
Don't get put off by OLEDs being refered to as dim, they are capable of 700nits of peak brightness and fair well with ambient light generally as they have very good anti reflection filters. Only time to worry about them being dim compared to an LCD if you watch a lot content with bright backgrounds such as ice hockey or snowy nature documentaries or if you want to use HDR during the day with the curtains open, which really is not a good idea even on an LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom