Please could someone kindly recommend a good 5.1 Home Theatre System for the PS3

Hades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My nephew has just purchased a PS3 and currently has the Sony DAB-SB100 5.1 system. However this is no good to connect his PS3 to, so he looking to replace this. Currently the PS3 is just connected direct to the TV via HDMI, so sound is from the TV speakers only.

Would really like a system that does not come with a DVD player, as he will be using the PS3 for DVD/Blu-ray, so does not require another DVD player.

His TV is the 42" Panasonic PX70.

If anyone could advise on a decent system (for around say £300 for now), it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gazza.

For £250 you could be getting something like this Yamaha AV63 Plus adding a £50 HDMI DVD player or £150 Blu-ray player and yes Blu-Ray players do play DVD,s
http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/product_bulletins/DSP-AX463.pdf
Reasons,
Handles HD Audio from Blu-ray.
Upgradable
1 bit fails then just change it with out throwing it all away.
Add your existing DVD player for now with a optical or co-ax 5.1 connection.
Try doing the above with a all-in-one.

He already has the PS3, this is the main source for DVD/Blu-ray, so this is the only thing being connected up.

Just been looking into this some more and the Sony HT-SF/SS1300 seem to get cracking reviews.

Last edited:
The Yamaha AV63+ (This is JUST out) is the more power of the two systems you are looking at due to its more powerful supply and outputs are rated into 6 ohm which is more of a standard than 3 ohm.
Both systems will do a better job than a standard all-in-one.

Just been looking into this some more and the Sony HT-SF/SS1300 seem to get cracking reviews.

i wouldnt reccomend it mines going back due to it being poor

green picture on my blu ray player and the sound isnt different to a £100 sammy setup

When I did a search via Google on the AV63 it linked to several posts on AVF.

The Sony seemed to be getting the better reviews, so that was all I could go off. Then when reading the reviews on Play and Amazon for the Sony, its just one good review after another.

Yet from what I understand here, the Sony is not that good and the AV63 is the better option.

For LPCM via HDMI it is important that you choose the AV63+ and not the AV63 so look out.

I have bookmarked the one you linked too :smashin: Its out of stock at the moment. Not many places seem to sell it though, to say its quite new.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom