1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please convince me to buy a Projection TV.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by X-Man, Oct 24, 2001.

1. X-Man

X-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie to this forum.

My dilemma

I really can’t decide on what’s the best option. Originally I had decided to buy a 32inch Widescreen TV either the Philips PW6006 or the PW6515.

After seeing the 40 inch Projection TV’s @ John Lewis last night, she’s quite “happy” maybe I should say ‘happy to allow me’ to buy the Toshiba 43PJ93B.

Because of the sere size of the Toshiba I’ll have to place the TV in front of the patio doors therefore having the sunlight in the background. Will this hinder the viewing of the TV. I’m not too sure if she would like the curtains drawn all weekend.

My only other qualms with a projection are;

Screen Burn – I was reading yesterday that I should have the contrast quite low and avoid watching prolonged broadcast with logos. i.e. Sky news. I think they said that animated logos weren’t too bad. The magazine suggested that I zoomed in on the picture so that the screen logo wouldn’t be present on the screen.

Dust – I was reading a comment from a previous thread that dust can build up behind the projector screen. This is apparently quite normal ?

Bulb replacement – Do they cost from £200 upwards. I suppose there life span is around 4000-6000 hours. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Please answer all my questions as I’m starting to foam at the mouth thinking about having a projection TV. It’s also probably due to me having a month off from work as of this Monday :D :D :D

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    "Because of the sere size of the Toshiba I’ll have to place the TV in front of the patio doors therefore having the sunlight in the background. Will this hinder the viewing of the TV. I’m not too sure if she would like the curtains drawn all weekend."

The possible? thing I'd be wary of here is not the viewing experience itself, although that might be a factor. I'm not sure if this a real issue, or just in my head, but.......all RPTVs have a huge mirror set at an angle behind the screen. This mirror is attached more or less directly to the inside of the cabinet on the sloping part near the top of the back. If it was me, I'd worry that strong sunlight might heat up the back of the set, even when not in use, to such an extent as to either distort the mirror or loosen its attachments (especially if it's glued into place). Once the mirror has gone - no TV.

"Screen Burn – I was reading yesterday that I should have the contrast quite low and avoid watching prolonged broadcast with logos. i.e. Sky news. I think they said that animated logos weren’t too bad. The magazine suggested that I zoomed in on the picture so that the screen logo wouldn’t be present on the screen."

Screen burn occurs when any given part of the picture area is continuously more illuminated than another. Note - continuously. Therefore, if you watch a given channel, with a bright white logo, virtually all the time - then the logo may burn in. If you alternate channels, then "continuously" ceases to apply. The amount of time this takes to become a problem depends on a number of factors, including hours use, contrast etc. Supposedly, CRT based RP TVs show symptoms (all other things being equal) sooner than direct view CRT TVs, although "sooner" may, in reality be several years away anyway. LCD based TVs - both RP and direct view - do not suffer burn in at all.

Can't comment on your other pionts.

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had various RP tv's over the last seven years and I've never experienced screen burn. It can happen on any type of tv, CRT, LCD, or DLP if you leave a still image on the screen for endless hours, which is unlikely.

As for dust, my current tv, a Toshiba 46WHO8B does not show any signs of dust yet, - it is 11 months since it was installed. However it is easy to gain access to and remove the screen for cleaning with an anti-static cloth, provided you take care. The surface of the three picture tubes, (or 'guns') can be dusted too. The tubes are effectively three small monochrome tv's, one each projecting through red, green and blue filters which, when combined on the screen give true colour. The life of them is the same as any other CRT tv, so don't worry about it.

I hope this reassures you.

4. Kevinmc

Kevinmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 55inch tv will be five years old in December

I have never experienced any screen burn in all that time.

Nor have I had to clean the screen for dust.

My tv is on for an average 7 hours per day so it has done me proud.

Extremely happy with it.

Best purchase so far.

Kevin:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DONT WORRY BUY WITH CONFIDENCE. IHAVE USED A SONY 41" WITH NO SCREEN BURN,DUST IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION YOU SAY (PATIO DOORS) JUST SOLD THE SONY WILL BE THE OWNER OF A TOSH 43" SOON. ALSO CHEAPEST NEW PRICE I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND IS £1.095 NEW. CAN ANY BODY ADVISE OF A CHEAPER PRICE?
    DONT FORGET THIS MODEL NOW DISCONTINUED.
    MICK.

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you search 'delta' or Toshiba46WHO8B' you will find plenty of entries from me which should help to convinve oyu to buy one of these great tv's.

7. X-Man

X-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies. The 'er' is having second thoughts of the 43 inch so I might have to go for a 40 inch instead.

I'm not to keen on placing the rptv infront of the patio doors due to the heat factor. The lounge stays pretty warm on most summer days. "Well it's only about 10 days a year then to worry about":clown:

I'll be keeping the contrast around 50 % to avoid the screen burn.

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,381
    Hi,

Just recieved my 40WHO8B today, brought from hispek. I waited all day from 8am, fell asleep at 3.00pm and woke up confused at 4.00pm. Lorry arrived at 4.30ish, bloody big lorry for my small street. Anyway i love it, really good with anamorphic dics, tried r1 of shrek, well nice picture. I kept reading about all the problems, and seeing duff pictures in shops, so dont worry, buy one before they stop selling them. I've got mine in my bedroom, home cinema heaven!.

best of luck

rai

ps

Bloody big box it comes in.

9. X-Man

X-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    raigraphixs

cheers m8 for the vote of confidence.

It's the same model as I was considering :D

I've also decided to get the Philips 32 Inch Widescreen (on order from QED) for the bedroom as well. Therefore having the best of both worlds in the lounge and bedroom.

I just couldn't make my mind up so I when for both. It's probably also due to having a month off from work and having to much time on my hands. I always some how end up @ an electrical retailers that stock rptv's. Strange isn't that :clown: