Please confirm Minimum spec for ipod Nano

pwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have a PC running 98se and uses USB1 ports. I went onto Apple.com to download Itunes to see how good it was as a precurser to buying the other half a Nano for xmas. Unfortunately itunes download was only suitable for XP or win2000, does this mean that there is little point in buying a Nano unless I'm prepared to upgrade to XP. Also can anyone confirm if USB2 ports are really a must have.

One further thing, I've been told it Charges via the USB port only :eek: which would rule it out completely as a music source on holiday. Can someone confirm this.

Thanks in advance folks.

unfortunately your a bit stuck without itunes to manage you tracks on the nano so ithink an upgrade to xp is a necessity for you.

USB2 is really a must primarily because of the speed at which it will transfer tracks for you, while usb1 will work fine, if your transferring a lot of music it will take ages.

No, the nano isnt only chargeable by the usb plug, you get an ac adaptor which plugs from your nano directly to the mains, although you have the option of either using a separate optional dock or through your usb on your computer.

Thanks Lukey. Info on charger was most helpful. It seem more and more programs and utilities are only compatable with XP or 2000. I was hoping I could hold out until MS Vista but it looks like being released nearer the end of next year so perhaps I'm just gonna have get XP. I dont think it should be hard to add USB2 to my machine.

If possible I would always advise people to install the Operating System on a fresh hard disk (or reformat the existing one) rather than doing an upgrade to and existing system. Whenever I've upgraded to XP it's ended up with problems.

Vista is what they are calling Longhorn these days. To be honest, what I've seen of it, I can't see any reason to change from XP when it finally does come out !

JohnG said:
Vista is what they are calling Longhorn these days. To be honest, what I've seen of it, I can't see any reason to change from XP when it finally does come out !

People said that about XP...IMO it's the little things in an OS that make the biggest difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom