Question Please clarify for me

SeniorAlex

Standard Member
Reaction score
MOBILE PHONES ???? OK, here's the scenario is , I am 76 and a real idiot where mobile phones are concerned, in fact a silly git that knows NOTHING. I presently have my son's old Samsung II which is good although I use very little but would like to upgrade (not really sure why) - really for a better camera that I would use on holidays and simplicity. I use SIM ONLY, but dont want to buy the very latest phone as the price is too high. I dont have many apps, dont game and rarely do much on the net other than check e-mails, check Facebook, the odd text but rarely download much, as I get all this on my home PC and iPad4 both of which I use to respond with unless urgent.

I rarely phone on the mobile, but do like quality photos and may use it more, possibly, if I upgraded. I have twin hearing aids, so that is sometimes a problem hearing the damn thing. Expect to have to pay around £200 or bit more and refurbished / used is what I'm after, but what should I aim for? I quite like the look of th Gallaxy S5 as its waterproof , or what other makes to consider. I am presently with EE 500 Mins - 500 MB - unlimited text pay £9 odd a month and never get anywhere near limits, even half that . Help appreciated if you have time for one of the older generation, not quite geriatric.
Thanks

Is a dedicated digital camera out of the question or is the all-in-one device crucial?

I have a Canon 7D but find it too cumbersome now to take on holiday. I also have the iPad4 which takes good photographs, but is also a little large for carting around, thats why a better phone would be useful. So can you help with any suggestion in addition to the Samsung S5 which is a consideration?

The LG G5 / G6 has been praised for the camera - the G5 in particular is now cheap because it did not sell well. Best try in person in a shop or see if someone has a phone you are interested in and you get on with size, the software etc

Why not give Moto G5 a try for £125 & switch to PlusNet £5 tariff (use same network as EE)

As you already use Apple IOS I would consider an iphone. The iphone SE is £299 list price.
As has already been suggested you are paying a lot for your allowance. I would call EE ask for your PAC code, and when they ask why, tell them you want an iphone SE on a low tarrif. You may be surprised on the figure they come up with. I would be looking for well under £15 from EE.
If they don't provide a good deal, just walk away with your PAC code. They always call back with a better deal

Thanks limegreenzx and garryboy. I thought about iphone but a phone with good quality camera and large screen, 5" + and apple is rather high priced for that. I may look again, but it is the camera as first priority with reasonable sized screen. Don't want a 'play tool' as I have the ipad for that, but better camera is the objective. Still have options open and also considering a good renewed, or second hand model from reputable dealer with guarantee.

Talking of SIM only, I recently signed up with VM. 2gb data, 2500 minutes & unlimited texts all for £5 a month, data rollover too.

Visited the EE shop and was impressed by the Samsung A5 2017 phone. Think I may go for this one as the deal is good £13pm and £180 up front, so just £3 more a month than now.

Visited the EE shop and was impressed by the Samsung A5 2017 phone. Think I may go for this one as the deal is good £13pm and £180 up front, so just £3 more a month than now.

Is that over 2 years. That's works out £492 over the 2 years.

Could by a decent phone upfront and get cheap sim only deal from EE.

They gave me 2gb data. Unlimited texts and calls for £5 month on a loyalty deal. £60 for 12 months

Not quite. I have been paying £10 per month on the sim only, so the new phone of £350 value is costing me £180 plus the additional £3pm - £72 over the 2 years. Sounded good to me.

Thanks limegreenzx and garryboy. I thought about iphone but a phone with good quality camera and large screen, 5" + and apple is rather high priced for that. I may look again, but it is the camera as first priority with reasonable sized screen. Don't want a 'play tool' as I have the ipad for that, but better camera is the objective. Still have options open and also considering a good renewed, or second hand model from reputable dealer with guarantee.
If you have an iPad, getting an iPhone is a good idea for several reasons:
The interface is exactly the same
You can send texts from your iPad which are routed through your phone

As the new models are just coming out, it's a great time to buy the older models, such as the iPhone 6S. It has a great camera.

Not quite. I have been paying £10 per month on the sim only, so the new phone of £350 value is costing me £180 plus the additional £3pm - £72 over the 2 years. Sounded good to me.
I'm sorry to say that sounds like a poor deal. The phone is around £300 and the tariff you use should cost no more than £4/month.
That works out at £16.50/month with no upfront charge.
Don't use a shop, phone them up see what they will offer for the A5. Just make sure it's the 2017 version of the A5. If they don't offer a good deal, then walk and get a PAC code so you can keep your number with a new mobile phone operator.

Have a look at OnePlus, I currently have the 3T and it's brilliant

In my area, EE gives the best coverage and even if there is no signal, it switches to satelite without extra charge. I know there are lower charges out there but they dont offer what I need. The One Plus coverage in this area is not so good. I don't feel that the deal offered is so bad but am going into the EE shop today to see if I can finanlise and hopefully get a lower monthly tarrif.

In my area, EE gives the best coverage and even if there is no signal, it switches to satelite without extra charge. I know there are lower charges out there but they dont offer what I need. The One Plus coverage in this area is not so good. I don't feel that the deal offered is so bad but am going into the EE shop today to see if I can finanlise and hopefully get a lower monthly tarrif.
OnePlus is a phone manufacturer, not a network

I meant 02.
However, having now been to the hop, they say I cannot buy the phone and change to the higher monthly cost before 9th October. The reason was that I obtaind a lower cost tariff on April 9th. Seems tahther silly when I am buyng a new phone and increasing my monthly tariff. What do you think?

Update. Called EE sales and apparently you CAN change contracts after 4 months if done online. The shop wouldn't tell me that, so they are not really looking after customers in the best way. New phone being delivered on Monday.

Glad you got a phone in the end Alex.

Enjoy!

Cases I have had in the past have tended to be thicker leather jobbies to house cards, but I fancied one of the thinner ones this time to keep it light and more 'shirt-pocketable'. The Samsung neon looked good but it is surprisingly expensive for what it is. As the phone is water and dust resistant, it will help keeping it near with my woodworking hobby.
Probably have anothrer look tomorrow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom