Please can you offer some tips regarding my new AV receiver and equipment set-up.

Bailzebub

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance.

Recently i treated myself to a new Denon AVR 2300 which is a considerable upgrade from my old Pioneer VSX 1016.

Now potentially this is overkill for my setup i suspect, but, well, i've earned it recently and it will last me years :).

-

I have everything configured and running however i would like advice regarding some connectivity/config settings.

-

Devices connected are:

• Media PC (setup as i'd like).
  • Raspberry Pi running OSMC (setup as i'd like).
  • Samsung F86 (2008 TV with no ARC on the HDMI i believe).
  • PS4 (which i want to setup with a less input lag as possible).
-

Currently my amp HDMI MAIN output is in HDMI 1 on the TV which allows the setup and OSD to operate.

This is where my first issue lies as i while i have assigned the "TV audio" input to use the stereo jacks on the amp. I have to manually switch to DTV on my TV itself to get a TV picture and the TV audio on the same input. I was wondering if it can be setup like my other inputs are.

PS4 brings a unique issue where, with my particular setup it is advised to use HDMI 2 set to PC mode on my TV specifically; this is the best way to minimise input lag with this combination i believe.

It's not a massive issue but ideally again, i'd like my PS4 running into my amp first and all switching done there:
While the Denon does have a "GAME" mode itself i was hoping i could perhaps do something like.

PS4 to amp, HDMI Secondary output (game mode set) to HDMI 2 on TV (with low lag settings used).

-

I am going to have a play myself, but any advice regarding best practice with this kit would be appreciated, i've never really used an A/V receiver as the "central hub" of a set-up before, as my older Pioneer amp didn't offer me as many options.

DTV - if no digital (5.1) capable Output on the TV you may want to consider a stand alone DTV box connected to the AVR via HDMI.

PS4 - you may get away with two Outputs from the AVR to the TV, equally HDCP may throw a fit and lock up the AVR.

Your plan to have a play is prob the best option - try and avoid plugging/un-plugging HDMI cables when devices are powered On or in Standby!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom