Answered Please can somebody explain the true power of my Yamaha ax757se?

BlaezaLite

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've read the manual, guides and who knows what else, but it feels like the more I try to understand it, the more my brain just dissolves. I'm very new to av stuff and would highly appreciate some help.
I've got a Yamaha 757se, 2 Eltax Century 300 and 2Tibo Edge minis, as well as the original Yamaha NS 130 surrounds, but simply don't have room to connect the surrounds as my current accommodation is a room about 10ft x 6ft with a bloody sink in between the eltaxs! I know that I'm running in 4 Ohm mode too, if that's relevant at all?
Please be a little patient with me not understanding these things too well.

Huge "Thank You!" in advance for anyone who tries to fix my "boggle" and e-cookie to whoever guesses what film that's from...

Just tried to upload a pdf of 757se's manual, but won't let me.

Last edited:
So what exactly do you want to know. Sorry It's not clear to me from your post. Are you having an issue at all?

Firstly, don't engage the impedance switching. This will not optimise the AV receiver for use with 4ohm or low impedance speakers and does nothing other than reduce the rail voltage, starving the speakers of power in order to prevent the receiver from overheating. This isn't required because the receiver would put itself into protection mode anyway if the receiver detected its temperature to be encroaching upon levels outside of it operational boundaries. You are effectively starving the speakers of power if you've set the impedance swich to anyting other than its 8ohm default.

You may find this article informative:
Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch

Besides which, your Eltax Century 300 and Tibo Edge minis are rated with a nominal impedance of 4 to 8ohm and not 4ohm. They are not 4ohm speakers.

As to the power (wattage), don't trouble yourself with it unless you are actually having issues powering the speakers. If they work at the volume you like to listen at without clipping or distortion then there's nothing you need worry about. There's no reason why the AV receiver wouldn't be able to power the speakers being used to relatively high volume levels without exhibiting issues.

Last edited:
@Jamie I'm having no issue as such, I'm still 17 mentally and want to wave my amp penis in me mates face and just want to know the wattage from 20hz to 20khz 2 channels driven.

@dante Wow... Ask and I shall recieve ALL the information...
This is the first AV amp I've owned, so its nothing like the Midi/Mini systems that I've previously owned. Basically, it's perfectly sufficient to drive the speakers I have to loud levels and if it overheats, it'll cut out anyway and not just expire? Now in 8 ohm mode too, thank you for explaining that.

Thank you both so much for your replies

I'm having no issue as such, I'm still 17 mentally and want to wave my amp penis in me mates face and just want to know the wattage from 20hz to 20khz 2 channels driven.

20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8ohm 2 channels driven .................. 100 Watts per channel

Typical mainstream 8ohm speakers ordinarilly require at least 20 watts to be adequately powered or driven. The amplification associated with this AV receiver should be enough to drive your speakers to trelatively high volume levels given the space they are located in. You'd need more power if further away from them, but you'd also not want to exceed the wattage that they are rated able to handle.

If not hearing distortion or clipping then the receiver is powerful enough. If you were to drive the receiver too hard then yes, it would trigger its inbuilt protection mode and prevent you from causing damage to the receiver.

Last edited:
Hello and thank you for once again answering my inane questions

Well, I've been given a set of Aiwa Sx fzr2700's by my mate, brought them back in a mad rush, wired them up backwards and thought they sounded terrible.

Left them there and return two days later (today) reconnect them right polarity and still think they sound crap, so I went fiddling and found my crossover for the sub was set to 40 hz, changed that to 200hz and my jaw dropped... Thats where my bass had gone! Now all my speakers sound phenominal and just want tomorrow to hurry up so I can give it some power.

Now, another question, it says A+B = 8-16 ohms. The Aiwas are 6 and 16, but I'm not running the surrounds at all, So Eltaxs are 8ohms and on B and Aiwas are on A, equalling 14 or 10. Is this okay too?

Again, thank you to anyone who replies in advance.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom