1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please can I have ome advice/help on bi-wiring?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by the_sacred_chil, Aug 14, 2005.

1. the_sacred_chil

the_sacred_chil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:
    Ok, first of all my equipment, I have a Denon AVR1705 and Tannoy Fusion 2's, 4's and Centre. The cable is OFC 105 strands, and the conductor is 1mm squared.

The tannoy fusion 2's and 4's are both bi-wireable speakers, and the tannoy handbook reccomends bi-wiring them.

However I do not have specific HF and LF outputs on the amp, I do however have two separate front speaker outputs although running both at once alters the output impedance. Is this a problem?

Nominal impedance of the speakers 8-ohms

When used separately outputs A and B should be used with 6-16 ohms speakers
    when used together output should be used with 12-16 ohm speakers, does this stand up if using the second output for biwiring, you are only running to half the speaker so does this double the impedance to 16ohm per driver?

Secondly, and I quote from the Tannoy manual:- "If your amplifier is not equipped with separate output terminals for bass and treble information then, at the amplifier end of the cables twist the LF+ and HF+ together, and connect to the left channel marked +"

What I fail to see is what difference this makes splitting the signal at the amp as opposed to at the speaker via coupling links, except to half the resistance of the wire, which could be achieved using a speaker cable of twice the surface area.Either way HF and LF terminals are short circuited by a continuous loop.

I assume there is some passive filters inside the speaker, for it to convert a full signal to a HF or LF signal, therefore why would it be necessary to have an amplifier with HF and LF outputs when the speaker already does this

Thank you in advance for your help with this, as I am not sure whether there will be any improvement at all for the outlay of more money for cable. SOrry for babbling on, awesome forum have been visiting regularly to read, but this is my first post. :thumbsup:

In summary
    1) Can I use my two separate front speaker outputs as impromptu HF and LF outputs? If so how do I biwire the rears?

2) What difference does it make splitting the signal at the amp as opposed to the speaker?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The best way to biwire your speakers is to connect the 4 individual cable at the speakers - remember to remove the bar between the 2 sets of binding posts!
    At the amp end connect the 2 '+' cables and the 2 '-' cables for that speaker together and then connect to the amp.

Mark.

3. the_sacred_chil

the_sacred_chil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah ok,thats what I have said is how I have been reccomended to do it. My quetion is what difference does it make splitting the signal at the amp with speaker cable, or splitting the signal at the speaker with the coupling bar, except using extra cable halves the resistance?