1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please be gentle - naive questions re 36" et al

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rickmorley, Oct 4, 2003.

1. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Some help for a novice please. Apologies for the smorgasbord of questions below. I will be delighted with answers to any of the questions - not expecting anyone to reply to all of them.

I have been browsing this forum occasionally for a while and have been amazed by the depth of people's knowledge but also quite daunted by the sheer volume of information and differing opinions.

At the moment I have a couple of very old analogue TVs and traditional aerials. The long term goal is to have one good TV and one average one that will be used for viewing rather than games. I will get a Sky package a bit further down the line but not while life is so busy with work and kids - I cannot afford the time to get addicted to Sky Sports yet.

I am ready to buy a new TV. The one I have in mind, see below, and no doubt others of its ilk operate better with a digital signal. Rather than paying for an aerial upgrade I am planning to get the dish and set top box installed now. OK, here come the questions:

- Sky have offered me installation of dish and box, that I will then own, with no contract for £120. They would also insist on hooking into my telephone system. I have spoken to Digital Network Services who claim to do most local installations for Sky. They have offered to set me up for £85 inclusive. This would be with a used set top box (6 months guarantee) and they would not tinker with my phone line.
    Does that sound like a sensible to deal to go for?
    Is it a mistake to go for a used box? I guess a couple of years down the line I would be upgrading to a more sophisticated box anyway.
    Is there any benefit in having the phone line linked up? I have perfectly good broadband internet access anyway and have no current desire for interactive TV.
    Is it worth getting the engineer to also link up my other TV points for another £30? Is this awkward to do? Does it degrade the signal? Would it restrict me to watching the same channel on each TV?

- Now onto the TV.

I visited the local Sony Centre yesterday. I was beginning to wonder about an RP TV from what I was reading here but the Sony Centre say that the Sony 36" FQ76 will knock spots off the RP TVs unless I went for an expensive LCD RPTV. Do you agree?

They will sell me the Sony for £1600 and throw in one of their DVD players for £50 - I didn't write down the model number but it is one they sell for >£100 and I don't have a DVD player yet.

I have seen the same TV on the internet for <£1300 but I am thinking that, given the problems people seem to have with their new TVs, the extra £300 - £350 may be worth it for the installation, incl cables, and the 5 year parts and service guarantee. Does that sound like a good deal? We are not near a John Lewis.
    Is the price of this TV likely to be marked down significantly in the coming months?

Final question is the TV size. I have managed to convince my wife that the satellite dish will be reasonably unobtrusive. She is concerned about the prominence of the TV in our (quite large) lounge. The TV would be in a corner. Do any owners know, if I back it as far into the corner as possible, how far the front intrudes into the room?

Many thanks in advance for any help received.

Rick

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    So many questions...Sky offers change frequently through their website however they are usually around £1 for installation and a package at around £37 per month (this can be droped to the cheapest package after month 1). If you elect to take a discounted package from Sky then you won't be eligable for another in the future (unless you tell a few porkies). If i were in your position i would consider a second hand box until the time comes when you are ready to upgrade to a 'more sophisticated box' (SKY+?).
    As for the dish, there are alternatives such as a satellite antenna such as THIS one, though at £108 +vat they are not cheap, (if the session is invalid enter code SE0046566).
    Don't expect discounts on the fq76 for a while...how about a KV36FS76 for £800 while you wait for the price to drop, then keep it as your second set?

3. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx
    Thank you for the reply. Good to hear your views on the second hand set top box. Have now ordered it to be installed with the dish next week-end.
    Would not want a 36" as a second telly. I would like to buy a TV that will be good for 10 years so am prepared to pay up to c£1600 (but of course less if sensible) for something reasonably near the top of the range now.
    Rick

4. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a bit demanding putting so many questons in one post. I have listed the remaining questions below and after seeing what response I get from that list them by topic under new threads or relevant existing ones.

Is there any benefit in having the phone line linked up?

Is it worth getting the engineer to also link up my other TV points to the set top box for another £30? Is this awkward to do? Does it degrade the signal? Would it restrict me to watching the same channel on each TV?

Sony Centre say that the Sony 36" FQ76 will knock spots off the RP TVs unless I went for an expensive LCD RPTV. Do you agree?

Given the problems people seem to have with their new TVs, is it worth paying the Sony Centre the extra £300 - £350 for installation, incl cables, and the 5 year parts and service guarantee?

Is the price of this TV likely to be marked down significantly in the coming months? Lynx has given his view on this.

The TV would be in a corner. Do any owners know, if I back it as far into the corner as possible, how far the front intrudes into the room? (By back it in the corner I mean so that the sides are at 45 degrees to each wall. I think what I really need to know is how wide is the back of the tv - if I have the corners of that right next to the two walls then that should minimise the intrusion.

Rick

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy the 51" Toshiba CRT RP for £1344. £300 cheaper than that 36" Sony.

CRT RP is not crap. I would say the picture will probably be better, due to correctable geometry, RP having a dull screen (glass screens cause reflections)

Don't listen to Sony centres, they are idiots-just there to sell you Sony item. Expensive as well (RRP). One idiot told me told get rid of my Audiolab poweramps and buy £300 Sony AV amp instead. Idiot.

6. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan

Thank you for that. I have seen that you are a big RP fan.
    This is where I get confused with the conflicting opinions. Has there been a poll somewhere on RP v CRT? Do they come with the same teletext & picture in picture features that the FQ76 has?

There's also the intrusion into the room aspect. My wife is already suggesting that the 36" will dominate the room too much. A big RP would add to that. I do have an alcove the TV would fit nicely into but this two disadvantages:

It would block quite a bit of the view thru the windows out to the garden and there would be a lot of sun on the back of the TV until mid afternoon.

Rick