1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please all Sharp GD1E owners

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bob Todd, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I am so close to calling mr Rob Whyte and ordering one of these, could u please tell me of your GD1e experiences, the good and Bad, and why u chose to pay so much more for the GD1E then settle for the GA3

2. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Me too - but who are you ordering your from? What is the best price - there don't seem to be too many around.

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the 37" GA4E and I am very pleased. I looked at the GD1E in John Lewis but I did not need speakers and did not really have room for the AV box. As they are the same screens I decided to save the money!

4. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £2,600 about a month ago... I know, I could of bought the GA3 for less, I knew little about the GD1E and I wasn't really planning on buying it :laugh:
    The GD1E kinda caught my eye and was a bit of an impulse buy (the sales dude took £400 off, put it on buy now pay May and had it delivered with-in the hour which made it even harder to resist :rolleyes: ).

The DVB tuner is awful; over compressed grainy and blocky colours. DVB OSD is extremely basic and the basic EPG only shows now and next even though it has a genre search and filter :mad: I'm thinking about borrowing my old Pace Twin off my old TV...

The picture is really nice but needs tweaking to get the best out of it, the built-in presets are total pants IMO and the OPC feature is pretty useless for me because my room is blacked out (I guess it'd be useful to people who have to put it by a window).
    Apart from the totally unacceptable DVB tuner which will hopefully be getting an update ASAP (I'm contemplating emailing them to ask when an update will be available) I'm really pleased with it.
    The thing is really small (just 70mm deep :eek: ), probably explains the price hike.

Quick pic -
    [​IMG]
    See here for a selection of pics (must take some more when I have the time :rolleyes: ). DVD was on a standard PAL Xbox in RGB :suicide:

5. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats it like when fed sky RGB signal

6. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37 GD1E since a month.

Pros:
    Pretty good black level with backlilght at -8
    Very nice contrast if you sit in front of it, 45 degrees wieving cone.
    Scaler on the AVC is good, SkyItalia has awful compression rates, only the cinema channel are very enjoyable.
    Fantastic image on HDTV and with HTPC or scaler
    I don't find the DTT tuner so bad
    Split screen with two programs is gorgeous

Cons:
    deinterlacing should be manually selected for video and movies
    too many menu passages for important functions (Center channel, deinterlace etc.)
    perfect sync on HTPC is so far impossible, phase problems on DVI (which is contradictory)
    Two fans on the back (humming in sync) and a fan on the AVC. Noise is audible.

I'd buy it again in an heartbeat.

bye
    dubmaster

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    phase problems on DVI?

nice input guys keep it coming

8. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes phase problems like on vga connections. And not solveable, a small noise is always present.
    I also have an Infocus 7200 connected on DVI on the main HT Room (Aquos is in the living room). No Sync and phase problem of any kind on DVI on the infocus, pixel are rock solid, nokiatest moire patterns are perfect.
    The 37GD1E seems to convert digital DVI to analog in the AVC, i also tried a Matrox exactly at 1366x768 (i'm runnig a Radeon9700Pro at 1368 dot by dot now).
    Not that the picture is bad, on video material this is really invisible, but it's disturbing to have a DVI input that acts like a VGA (also tried the VGA-DVI cable on analog, same result).

regards
    dubmaster

9. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It wouldn't be because the Sharp's DVI isn't HDCP compliant where as the Radeon 9700Pro and the InFocus 7200 are both DVI-HDCP and therefore fully compatible?

I'm still getting my head around the HDCP stuff so I could be talking complete rubbish.

10. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I phoned the Aquos customer support line last week, and was eventually put through to a man who knew. The DVI connections on all the Sharp G-series are HDCP compliant. I asked why they didn't say it in any of their marketing or manuals, and he said it is probably because only a very few "high end" users were interested in this, and they didn't want to confuse people.

I will be ordering an LC32GA4E before Christmas.

James

11. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    so would I be right in saying that the media box causes DVI problems, where as the cheaper Sharp models that have DVI on the back of the panel dont as the signal isnt converted until it gets inside the Panel

is an FX5900 HDCP compatible

12. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't think the DVI sockets will behave any differently on the two models. (But I do think that the GD1E is over priced. You get an extra box to find a home for, a poor digital tuner, and an extra fan. You could save money and get a DVDO iScan HD instead, which would give a better picture.)

The socket is DVI-I, meaning that it can take both a digital and an analogue signal, so you have to make sure that it is actually the digital signal that is being sent. If the problem is that it is taking an analogue signal from the DVI, maybe dubmaster has used a DVI-I analogue cable?

You can get interference on DVI digital if the connections are not sound, or the cable is too long. These manifest as "sparkles" - pixels that are randomly white. It should look different to analogue interference.

HDCP is irrelevant for this DVI connection, since it will accept both HDCP and non-HDCP signals. HDCP is only needed if the source (such as a DVD player) is using it.

James

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Apologies of this is what you meant...

I don't believe that this is the case. HDCP will be implemented in the display panel itself. The media box will more than likely just pass it through from any source that has enabled HDCP. So with a DVD player, the handshake is between the display and the DVD player.

The other thing is I suspect that the link between the media box and the display is pure DVI-D in which case, the media box will have converted the analogue signal to digital. Which brings on the interesting possibility of the media box actually enabling HDCP if it detects a macrovision enabled analogue source. If this was not the case, it would be possible to make a digital copy of a copy protected (macrovision) analogue source.

-Ian

14. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry, I was talking about the DVI-I socket on the media box. It accepts non-HDCP connections from PCs.

One of the two cables between the media box and the screen is physically a DVI cable (and, I agree, almost certainly just DVI-D), but Sharp may have ensured that you can't use it as such.

James

15. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a DVI-D dual link Lindy Cable, i also tried with a VGA > DVI-I cable, same results.
    Note that if i don't select 'PC Digital' from the menu no picture is displayed, so i assume the connection is purely DVI-D.
    BUT i get phase problems, no sparklies, no random frying pixels, no colour banding. It's like the sync amplitude is not enough to give a wide enough free space between the columns.
    I haven't tried yet the direct connection Radeon > Panel bypassing the AVC.
    HDCP has nothing to do with this problem, i think.

bye
    dubmaster

16. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    your right an iscan would do so much more, alas are their any other good 32" LCD's that are less then 10cm deep

how deep are the GA4 and GA3

17. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention that the phase also drifts slowly off value.
    The value remains the same on the menu but the 'noise columns' are slowly rolling horizontally.

It's really irritating, do i have a defect avc box ?

bye
    dubmaster