Please advise the Noob.

Hissing_Sid

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask this as I feel it may have been touched upon before, but my trawling of the search feature hasn't made me any the wiser.

Thing is I bought a JVC 42 inch Plasma last spring. It is not a HD ready jobby. However having had a proper read through the manual in anticipation of connecting the Wii (When I eventually get hold of one), I've come across a few confusing things. Although it's not HD ready the manual says that I can get 625p, 525p, 1125i and 750p through one of my ext using component. It says these are HD signals and yet the TV is a non-HD ready jobby as already stated. And most of the posts concerning HD around here commonly refer to 720p, 1080i etc, and not the numbers above which come from my manual....Me confused.

Sooooo. Would I be able to rig up a Wii to my telly and be able to use 480p bearing in mind the above? Also would I be able to get a HD signal from a 360 or HD DVD? And if so which signals would they use respectively?

So even though my TV is not HD ready I can still get a HD picture from an appropriate HD source?

Any help from the knowledgable would be much appreciated.

Cheers....

Yes all round, with those numbers, including skyHD, current HD-DVD, Wii is no problem. The resolution of the screen determines to a certain extent what benefit you achieve from HDTV signals, but not totally. You'll see a jump in picture quality whatever the pixel count of the glass is.

Although it's not HD ready the manual says that I can get 625p, 525p, 1125i and 750p through one of my ext using component. It says these are HD signals and yet the TV is a non-HD ready jobby as already stated. And most of the posts concerning HD around here commonly refer to 720p, 1080i etc, and not the numbers above which come from my manual....Me confused.
Those numbers include the scanlines used in the front porch, back porch and vertical sync. This method of counting was/is common for standard definition (ie, saying PAL is 625lines, NTSC 525lines), but for high def only counting the picture lines is much more common. In this sense, 750=720 and 1125=1080.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.... :thumbsup:

It may be to do with the lack of HDMI connection at the rear that it couldn't be labelled as a HD ready set (if indeed it doesn't have one, I'm presuming it doesn't).

I have a Tosh 26WL46 LCD upstairs which has a screen res of 1366 x 768 - so can (as far as I am aware) display 720p sources through presumably the component connection. However it also did not have a "HD-Ready" label in the shop. I reckon its because it doesn't have HDMI connection at the rear.

Anyone confirm/deny this?

It may be to do with the lack of HDMI connection at the rear that it couldn't be labelled as a HD ready set (if indeed it doesn't have one, I'm presuming it doesn't).

I have a Tosh 26WL46 LCD upstairs which has a screen res of 1366 x 768 - so can (as far as I am aware) display 720p sources through presumably the component connection. However it also did not have a "HD-Ready" label in the shop. I reckon its because it doesn't have HDMI connection at the rear.

Anyone confirm/deny this?

Yeah I can confirm that the TV does not have HDMI. The manual says that the HD signals that I referred to in my original post can be used through the ext that uses component....

I'm kinda guessing at this point that I can achieve some level of HD through component with HD sources that can connect through this source.

Do HDDVD players, HDTV, X-Box 360 etc use HDMI? In which case I'm kinda screwed for certain things I suppose. Or can I get these things to connect through component? The difference being?

They can all use component. Don't let any silly sucker convince you that HDMI is automatically better. It's still real HD on component video, if the quality is a problem, likely it's the TV processing at fault. It'll be fine on your JVC though. 360 is component video, no HDMI, the others offer a choice. HDMI is basically 'scart for the 21st century', easy to use for the masses, but 1st and foremost, it's about copy protection. It's design brief was to protect Hollywood's interests, never make a better viewing experience for the consumer, except for the ease of connection.

They can all use component. Don't let any silly sucker convince you that HDMI is automatically better. It's still real HD on component video, if the quality is a problem, likely it's the TV processing at fault. It'll be fine on your JVC though. 360 is component video, no HDMI, the others offer a choice. HDMI is basically 'scart for the 21st century', easy to use for the masses, but 1st and foremost, it's about copy protection. It's design brief was to protect Hollywood's interests, never make a better viewing experience for the consumer, except for the ease of connection.

Cheers MAW. All clear now.

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom