Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Please advise - Philips 32PW9308

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bgcm12, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I am a complete layman in terms of AV equipment and need your advice please. Last week I purchased a Philips 32PW9308 TV (with Pixel View). On Saturday I had Sky+ installed.

Before buying the TV set I read some reviews and the Philips 32PW9308 came out favourably in the ones I read. However, I think the picture quality is RUBBISH (technical term :) ). Whatever program I watch, there is loads of noise and artefacts around the images (particularly text and small shapes) and what should be crisp lines seem pixelated. The problem seems accentuated when watching football.

I have the sky box set up to output RGB to the RGB input on the TV, and I can tell that RGB is obviously better than PAL, so that isn't the problem. Turning off PixelPlus and switching to 100hz scanning improves matters a little - but only a little. I have experiemented with the active display but to no avail.

So please advise:

Is there any settings I can tweak to give a good output?
    Or did I just buy a dud TV?
    Should I be able to return the TV after a week, just because i don't like the picture?
    What TV should I go for really good quality Sky+ viewing for around £500-£600?

Thank you all very much.

Ben

2. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading around the threads on here I have picked up a thing or two...

Could my problem with really blocky pictures be caused by the signal i am receiving from sky.

My signal test shows (approximate values):

Input 1 Signal Strength: 70%
    Input 1 Signal Quality: 20%

Input 2 Signal Strength: 90%
    Input 2 Signal Quality: 70%

If this is the cause of the problem, can i do anything about it?
    Why is there a difference between the two signals if they are coming from the same dish along the same length of cable to the same box?

Would this also explain slight vertical lines across the screen, or is this another problem with the tube?

Thanks again everyone.