1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please advise on backing up vhs to Panasonic e30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve.r2, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Steve.r2

Steve.r2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping someone will be able to advise me on a problem I have backing up some home movies from a Sharp svhs vcr to the Panasonic e30 via an s-video lead.
    I have found that on completion the playback has quite a lot of that checker effect in the picture when viewing a lot of motion e.g. the rippling surface of water and is very evident when the picture is paused. Apart from that the picture quality is very good. I am copying to Datasafe X2 gen 4 media which was recommended to me at the time of purchasing the machine, although only 4 out of the 10 I bought have actually worked. I have the Panasonic recording SP mode (2 hour) which although not the highest setting should be sufficient for this purpose.
    Has anybody else had the same problem and been able to correct it or is this something you have to live with when backing up from a vcr.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much help I'm afraid but I can confirm you should have no problems doing this. I use SP all the time and I get excellent results.

I suspect the disks. I've had some that went extremely blocky on playback. My current batch all work fine. To prove it's the disk, record the same thing to the RAM disk. It should confirm your disks are cr*p!

DaveP

3. Steve.r2

Steve.r2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Dave.
    I have tried using the Ram disk and it is much better. Out of intrest what disks are you using?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get most of my disks from here

The last lot I got were 49p each. They are called ICE White top (ie unbranded) I ordered 50 of them after trying a pack of 10. I've used about 15 or so and I've not had one failure yet. The smallest quantity they do is 10 but it's worth a try. The postage puts the price up tho but they do do Nochex. If they all fail I'm sure they'll give you a refund.

I've always found them good to deal with.

The only downside is they don't come in cases but I use old ones from magazine covers!

DaveP

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve.r2. I agree with DaveP! It's probably the discs. I use both the E20 and the E30 and Datasafe discs are a no no as far as I am concerned. Neither of my machines will use them.

I can confirm the E30 should not give the problem you describe. I have done dozens of VHS tapes with excellent results. I have mainly used FWS discs. Also Traxdata in the E30 but not the E20. Experiment with a few different brands and I am sure you will get the results you need. Good luck. malcom.