• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Please advise on Amp and Speakers

Mutsu

Standard Member
I currently run Senn HD650s from Xonar Essense STX, but my speaker system is lacking in comparison. My speaker setup is using the Essense > 11 year old Kenwood Hi-Fi system that cost around £300 at time of purchase.

I am looking to spend £300-400 to upgrade. My options are to buy a pair of AudioEngine A5s and leave it as that. Or to keep an eye out for any decent amps and speakers on eBay. For my budget, what should I be looking out for on eBay? Would you advise that buying separate speakers and amp would be much better than the AudioEngine option? I have also considered wharfdale diamond 10.1 with an amp around £100 from ebay.

The setup would be 2 speakers, mainly for Rock music with my computer as the source. Thanks!

Ben Jammin

I don't know anything about the AudioEngine A5s.

What connection will your PC be connecting to your Amp with?

A lot of people like the DM38 mini system but from the sounds of it you don't need a CD player.

You could go and listen to something like the below and see what you think:

Nad C355BEE Titanium | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

Mission MX1 Black | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

That's just over the budget, try different speakers. I hear that amp is a bargain at the price. (newer model just come out.)

Personally i have this amp and adore it:

Rega Brio 3 Integrated Amplifier - Analogue Seduction

Not as many features or power but sounds lovely and musical.

p.s. i didn't buy from that analogue seduction shop so not endorsing them as trustworthy. i got mine from: http://www.decoaudio.com/ in person.

Also, thats all new stuff. No idea about Ebay/second hand so apologies if useless info!

Last edited:

Mutsu

Standard Member
Hi Ben, thanks for the reply.

I don't think my sound card has an optical out, so will be connecting via RCA L/R.

As I will be upgrading in stages, I wondered whether it would be more worth while upgrading my speakers first or pairing my current hifi speakers with a new amp. My speakers have been through a lot over the years and the cones are damaged from indents.

I think those amps are a little pricey for me unless I can find them cheap on eBay. I'll look into those Mission speakers, I have read some peoples comments about the Wharfdale Diamonds not sounding great for rock/metal.

jimbo2807

Standard Member
You might also want to look at the Mordaunt Short 902i speakers. I think they sound excellent and I play a lot of rock/blues/metal. I paid £150 new a couple of years ago but you should be able to find them new much cheaper than that now that MS have brought out Aviano's

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom