Please advise on 65" to 75" TV

urbanlegend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I after some advise as I've been out of the game for a long time due to my trusty Samsung PS59D6900DK lasting 7 years but it finally gave up this morning to my joy and my wife's horror !

Hence I could do with some help on what would be best for my needs.

I have a budget of around 2k-3k but will happily purchase under 2K obviously.
I'm looking at 65" to 75" sets. The boss says 65" is big enough but If I have enough ammo to persuade her I can wangle a 75"er !
Viewing distance is around 12ft.
I have Sky and will be upgrading to Sky Q now I will be purchasing a set capable of Ultra HD. We watch a lot of movies and sports.
The room is a good size to accommodate a large TV. My 59" looked fine.
The room is very light and lets the sun in as its situated by large bi-folding patio doors
I already have a decent home cinema so sound is not a priority.

OLED @ 65”.

But given viewing distance, I’d go for 75” -Samsung 75” MU 7000 is good value; NU range is brand new, and mostly overpriced currently. Avoid LG lcd at this size.

But best advice would be to arrange demos of sets you like - Richer Sounds will offer demos.

OLED @ 65”.

But given viewing distance, I’d go for 75” -Samsung 75” MU 7000 is good value; NU range is brand new, and mostly overpriced currently. Avoid LG lcd at this size.

But best advice would be to arrange demos of sets you like - Richer Sounds will offer demos.

Thank you. Sorry another thing I failed to mention is my TV stand width is 105cm so I'm limited to the width of the legs otherwise I'll have to purchase a new TV stand to go with it which will inflate the cost and rub my missus up the wrong way !

Samsung UE75MU8000 for adound £2399 looks like it ticks all the boxes ? Or LG OLED5E7V can be had for around £2k with cashback promotion currently on.

Please don't worry about the stand that comes on a TV when you can buy your own so cheaply.

amsung UE75MU8000 for adound £2399 looks like it ticks all the boxes ? Or LG OLED5E7V can be had for around £2k with cashback promotion currently on.
This is awful value, to be expected from a newly release model. If you want a TV of this quality look at last years MU7000 instead but if you can afford to spend that much and want decent HDR you aren't far off the XE9005 at 75" in price.

2k for a 65" OLED is good value but you really need the extra screen size with UHD sources.

If you are contemplating 2k on a 55" OLED do not do it, too much money.

Samsung UE75MU8000 for adound £2399 looks like it ticks all the boxes ? Or LG OLED5E7V can be had for around £2k with cashback promotion currently on.
Please don't worry about the stand that comes on a TV when you can buy your own so cheaply.

This is awful value, to be expected from a newly release model. If you want a TV of this quality look at last years MU7000 instead but if you can afford to spend that much and want decent HDR you aren't far off the XE9005 at 75" in price.

2k for a 65" OLED is good value but you really need the extra screen size with UHD sources.

If you are contemplating 2k on a 55" OLED do not do it, too much money.

Thanks for your reply even though I worded it so poorly looking back !

I didn't realise you can purchase different stands/legs for TVs I thought you could only use the ones provided ? That was the reason I discounted the MU7000.

Yes I did look at the XE9005 75inch but I cannot find anyone selling stock ?

The Oled I think I got confused with another model for the cashback and so it's more like £2499

Could be the XE9005 is sold out now, some sizes seem to be. Its replacement is full release price at £4000 but like last year will probably drop closer to £2500 in time.

Yeah you can just buy your own stand, doesn't have to be a wall mount that uses the rear mounting holes on a TV. There are floor stands, table top stands, furniture integrated stands along with wall mounts.

12ft away you need the biggest you can get so I'd go for the 75MU7000 or if you wanted a better HDR TV the XF9005 once it comes down in price..but you are looking at possibly another year almost for that, maybe black friday if you get lucky.

MU7000 is plenty for SDR, there is also the Hisense 75N6800 that is priced reasonably if you wanted to spend even less and that TV is probably good enough for 99% of people.

If you want quality over size keep an eye on the 2017 OLEDs, maybe you see some deals pulling them closer to £2000 from £2500 before they sell out.

Could be the XE9005 is sold out now, some sizes seem to be. Its replacement is full release price at £4000 but like last year will probably drop closer to £2500 in time.

Yeah you can just buy your own stand, doesn't have to be a wall mount that uses the rear mounting holes on a TV. There are floor stands, table top stands, furniture integrated stands along with wall mounts.

12ft away you need the biggest you can get so I'd go for the 75MU7000 or if you wanted a better HDR TV the XF9005 once it comes down in price..but you are looking at possibly another year almost for that, maybe black friday if you get lucky.

MU7000 is plenty for SDR, there is also the Hisense 75N6800 that is priced reasonably if you wanted to spend even less and that TV is probably good enough for 99% of people.

If you want quality over size keep an eye on the 2017 OLEDs, maybe you see some deals pulling them closer to £2000 from £2500 before they sell out.

Thank you so much for your help !!

I've considered it all and I cannot wait for another year I'm too impatient

I've gone for quality over quantity as the 12 foot viewing distance is at the most extreme in reality most seating is closer than that. I've ordered a LG - OLED65B7V from Currys being delivered tomorrow !!

I'm so impressed with the Oled screens and this model is within my budget and as far as I can see has positive reviews. It was £2499 online and I have another voucher code bringing it down another £100 plus high Quidco rate at the mo bringing it down to £2299 with a 5 year warranty.

I have Sky Q on order too being installed in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to this and I'm hopefully seeing a great improvement from my aged plasma.

Again thank you for your guidance in this mindfield !

Thank you so much for your help !!

I've considered it all and I cannot wait for another year I'm too impatient

I've gone for quality over quantity as the 12 foot viewing distance is at the most extreme in reality most seating is closer than that. I've ordered a LG - OLED65B7V from Currys being delivered tomorrow !!

I'm so impressed with the Oled screens and this model is within my budget and as far as I can see has positive reviews. It was £2499 online and I have another voucher code bringing it down another £100 plus high Quidco rate at the mo bringing it down to £2299 with a 5 year warranty.

I have Sky Q on order too being installed in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to this and I'm hopefully seeing a great improvement from my aged plasma.

Again thank you for your guidance in this mindfield !
I'd be a bit wary of paying extra for any UHD services from Sky. It might be impossible at 12ft from a 75" to notice you are watching the UHD version of each channel. I can barely notice a difference on BT between HD and UHD at 1m from a 65" TV.

Glad you made a choice anyway, smaller means that poorer quality content will look good and that's a fantastic TV, I'm sure you will love it!

I'd be a bit wary of paying extra for any UHD services from Sky. It might be impossible at 12ft from a 75" to notice you are watching the UHD version of each channel. I can barely notice a difference on BT between HD and UHD at 1m from a 65" TV.

Glad you made a choice anyway, smaller means that poorer quality content will look good and that's a fantastic TV, I'm sure you will love it!

Don't worry I'm getting SKY Q upgraded for no monthly cost and I'm on a half price package anyway. I'm good at haggling !!

Thanks again !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom