1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please advise on 1st home cinema setup ...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by amarb, Sep 22, 2005.

1. amarb

amarb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all.

Im looking for advice on what setup i should get. Iv got around £1000 to spend on speakers, av reciever/amp and dvd player(not 100% important as iv got a xbox to play dvd's).Iv got a faily large through lounge ( 25 ft approx) i wanted to use the system for watching movies, tv and also music.

I just wanted peoples oppinions on what gear is good to get and what would go well togeather.

2. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Richer Sounds have a cracking offer on at the moment: Pioneer DVD575 & 502 amp and Morduant Short Genie speakers & sub for £999. Full retail would be about £1,250. All are very, very highly reviewed products. Would also be a very discreet system.

However, if you need a bit more clout for your big lounge (and if you want better stereo performance) you might want to look at a bigger/more powerful amp and a full size speaker package. Something like a Denon 1906 (£300ish) and the Acoustic Energy Evo package (available with big discounts now - £600ish?).

Don't forget to get some decent interconnects and speaker cable.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    People really need to know what sort and style of speakers and amp you want.
    Full size, lifestyle, bookshelf speakers?
    Colours of amp/reciever and speakers?
    Any preference on brands?
    What options your looking for on the amp and dvd player etc?

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    my advice, if you want music as much as movies, go for a Denon DVD player around the £200-250 mark, Denon reciever spend around £350, then spend the rest on 3 pairs of Monitor Audio Bronze speakers (£200 a pair), ok this will put you a tad above your limit, but if u go with someone like Sevenoaks or other shops you can usually get a 9 month or 12 month interest free option for payment, put down the largest deposit you can, that way u dont have much to pay over the next x months.....then later on in half a year or so, invest in a nice subwoofer, a powerful model, your room is big, so it needs to be able to cope with it, the Bronze 2's will fill the room at treble and midrange easily, but their bass will falter.....worth spending around £500 on the sub, might sound odd, but it does work.......

but like i say, thats my advice......listen to what other people suggest, then go listen to stuff, if you are not likely to be able to upgrade for a good few years then you wanna make sure you like what u buy, so demo stuff in shops, then if you can find it cheaper somewhere else by all means buy it online or mail order etc....

5. amarb

amarb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for the reply everyone. Much appriciated!!!

After looking through a few webites and reading posts on here...i have thought of the following.

Missions floor standing speakers £300 -M35i

Mission centre speaker £115 - m3c2i

Mission Rear speakers £190 - M32

Denon av reciever £320 - Denon 1906

Denon dvd player £125 - dvd1720

This all comes too a total of £1050 with stands for the rears but no wires.

What do u think of this setup ??? Will it work well with watching TV as well as music??

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Seems preety Good alothough you could probably get away with thee m30 or 31's as surround usualy has bass managment meaning that the bass comes from the front main speakers or subwoofer, and as fequencies below a certain amount are non directional this works great.
    The reason for this is that unless the 32 is much better than the smaller ones (I think the 30i look pretty cute) the larger size will probably only effect the bass so you could save yourself a few quid. M30i can be found for arround £60-80 depending n where you shop ;)

Edit: Oh and for home cinema juties it really is worth getting a sub, i have a mission V6as which the same as the m5as, can find them from arround 300-400 i think but really is a thumping sub and a nice piece of furniture too :clap:

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Have a look at Creative Audio Hot Deals - a good one they have is a Denon 2106 with a Kef 2005.2 package, and you get all interconnects and speaker cables (35m) thrown in for free. Don't know whether you're looking for larger speakers for your room or not, but its a good deal with a great new amp nonetheless, and within your budget :thumbsup:

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The Mission M3DSi would save you some money and space and will give a more immersive effect with surround sound.

Creative audio's deals are well worth looking at.

As you need a big sub to presurize your room the BK Monlith is worth lookng at and it comes in 3 different veneers with loads of free stuff so you can plug and go without any more expense :D

9. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i just bought all this for well under your budget

pioneer 575 dvd player £100 - richersounds
    mordaunt short premier plus (with 309 sub) speaker system £400 - hifi confidential
    yamaha rvx 657 av receiver - german site for £270

im well impressed with what i have for £770 it is amazing to me compared tot he sony all in 1 system i had before

i have to stress ditch the xbox for dvd playback, i was getting by with one for a while there and its not so good, picture was distorted at times, quality was ok but the picture went weird many times. get a decent dvd player you wont regret it. :smashin: