1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please advise new user

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Roger Matthews, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Roger Matthews

Roger Matthews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am considering buying a new LCD TV to replace my Panasonic TX-W28D2DP CRT set (which in it's day was described as a flatter, squarer tube but isn't by modern standards).

Top priority - I want as good a picture as possible (at least as good as my old set, but preferably better). I don't care about sound (I use an external amp - Yamaha DSP-AX1 and 6 speakers). I am not too worried about price (within reason). I would like a 26" - 30" set and want to (a) connect a PAL Progressive Scan DVD player and (b) a SKY + box. I want to be able (if possible) to take advantage of the forthcoming SKY HDTV system when (if) it comes.

I was going to buy a Sony KVL-26HG2 but am worried about 15:9 screen (rather than 16:9) and only 1 component input 'cause it seems I need 2 (1 will be needed for HDTV + 1 for the DVD). I would like the MemoryStick reader but am prepared to do without. I want a set with Wega/ Pixel Plus / other enhanced picture system.

I am confused, can anyone advise me? :lease:

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was originally looking for something about this size but in the end went for the 32" Tosh 32WL48. If you compare what's available, you need to go to this size to get the "best in range" from just about any manufacturer. I'm glad I went bigger - don't know how I ever put up with a smaller picture (I've seen a few similar comments in other threads). Picture size should really be dictated by how close you will be sitting. I watch from 2m and would say that's about as close as you would want both for this size of picture and the resolution. The Tosh has an HDMI input which is being marketed as HDTV ready (haven't seen any other manufacturer do the same) in addition to component. Other sets have a DVI input which will carry digital pictures but not sound - couldn't say for sure how this will work with HDTV. I haven't seen anything with 2 component inputs. Look at this link http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=6910

Have you got a price in mind? The Tosh sells for about £1200 but you can spend double that on the latest Sharp or Loewe.