1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please advise me on PC reqirements

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John Watts, Aug 12, 2003.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all.

OK, I now have my Sanyo PLV-Z1 installed and i want to start using a PC with it.

I dont need it for DVD as i'll use my DVD player for that. All i want is something that will play media with software such as windows media player.

What sort of specifications should i look for? Bearing in mind i dont need a moniter etc just a tower with an operating system installed. Like i said the PC is only for playing cd roms/ dvd-r etc.

Thanks for your help folks,
    Regards,
    John.

2. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Anybody???

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Well, I guess the basic spec I was using for DVD playback should suit for mpg files, vobs (trailers ect) and other video files, and basic music:

Radeon VE or 7000 graphics card (9600 reccommended, or the Pro version if you play games).
    1.3 Duron is fine for standard stuff, but an XP2000+ will do for general gaming.
    Soundblaster 4.1 for digital output if needed (ordinary stereo can be found on many all-in-one mobos now).
    ECS K7S5A is a cheap mobo that seems to work well with the systemas I have used them for (including this pc).

Windows XP seems pretty stable to me, though I was using ME for a long time with my htpc without problems.

I get a lot of stuff from computer fairs and ebuyer.com, as you can save a lot of money that way.

A basic system not including software can cost as little as £200.

HTH

Gary.