Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Please advise me on PC reqirements

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John Watts, Aug 12, 2003.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all.

OK, I now have my Sanyo PLV-Z1 installed and i want to start using a PC with it.

I dont need it for DVD as i'll use my DVD player for that. All i want is something that will play media with software such as windows media player.

What sort of specifications should i look for? Bearing in mind i dont need a moniter etc just a tower with an operating system installed. Like i said the PC is only for playing cd roms/ dvd-r etc.

Thanks for your help folks,
    Regards,
    John.

2. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Anybody???

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Well, I guess the basic spec I was using for DVD playback should suit for mpg files, vobs (trailers ect) and other video files, and basic music:

Radeon VE or 7000 graphics card (9600 reccommended, or the Pro version if you play games).
    1.3 Duron is fine for standard stuff, but an XP2000+ will do for general gaming.
    Soundblaster 4.1 for digital output if needed (ordinary stereo can be found on many all-in-one mobos now).
    ECS K7S5A is a cheap mobo that seems to work well with the systemas I have used them for (including this pc).

Windows XP seems pretty stable to me, though I was using ME for a long time with my htpc without problems.

I get a lot of stuff from computer fairs and ebuyer.com, as you can save a lot of money that way.

A basic system not including software can cost as little as £200.

HTH

Gary.