Pleas need help Sony STR-DN840 or Onkyo TX-NR626

luckystrike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys I just want to ask which AV reciever I should get , I will use it for my turntable , ps4 , Lcd tv , and stereos., I have an old sony 5.1 speakers which im also planning to replace., both recievers offer the same speck wifi. hdmi inputs and output im just undecided regarding the performance on these brands.

Secondly i aslo want to ask if i buy a pair of floor standing speakers 2.1 is enough for use or i still have to buy center speaker and subwoffer ?

thank you and sorry for my english

The Sony STRDN840 has no phono stage so if you've a turntable then the Onkyo would be the one to go for. The Onkyo includes a dedicated phono stage for connecting a turntable to.

It isn't imperative that you use an additional subwoofer and centre speaker, but an active sub would better portray the LFE channel associated with discrete movie sound tracks. This raises the question of whether or not your existing Sony speakers can actually be used with an AV receiver? Note that the speakers shouldn't really be used with an AV receiver if their impedance is lower than 6 ohm and an AV receiver requires an active subwoofer with its own onboard amplifier and power supply. You cannot have 2.1 without a subwoofer because the ".1" is the channel that goes to a subwoofer. Even floorstanders cannot reproduce the frequencies associated with low frequency effects and you'd still ordinarily utilise a dedicated subwoofer in conjunction with floorstanders. You can simply use an AV receiver with just two stereo speakers, but I'd suggest you still add in a subwoofer at some point in the future, especially if you intend to use the setup in conjunction with movie soundtracks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom