1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playusa.com and Import Taxes

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fordy, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    No, this is not a thread about getting caught by customs.

Now that at least 2 online dvd retailers (I presume its best not to mention them directly here just in case :)) are virtually guaranteeing tax free £18+ imports, how long can playusa go on as they are?

Surely the must be losing a bundle of business on box sets and 2 disc SE's? I wonder how many R1 Star Wars Trilogies they sold compared to the other retailers.

What happened to them? I remember when it was just play.com and everything was simple. I still use them, but I will not buy an £18+ title from them anymore.

They havent made any attempt to avoid the customs charges like other retailers, how long do you think it will take for them to take steps to regain the lost business or have the parent company (play.com?) gone too mainstream to care?

To be honest I'd hate to lose them, they've been pretty good to us over the years IMHO.

Your comments and insights are appreciated

Fordy....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    Frankly, I think Play have lost their way. I used to use them for most things, but a combination of

a) bilingual canadian covers (with no option to avoid) for R1 product
    b) prices for R2UK product often higher than Virgin
    c) slower delivery times since the breakout of PlayUSA for R1 product
    d) no longer offering to refund customs taxes when levied

I'm afraid I don't use them, any more.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    To be fair to them - why should they refund customs taxes when they warn that they will be charged

If it looses them customers then so be it - but i imagine many, many people continue to use them just because they know they are "safe"

I know my friend does even with the risk of customs charges over £18 (although he has never been chargerd) and I continue to use them for anything up to £18

4. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I don't see why PlayUSA should refund import tax . I think PlayUSA are a great service.

5. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last items I ordered from them arrived within two days of ordering, over a week before the release date, and to be honest I've never been disappointed with their shipping times.

I don't order anything over £17.99 from them, but they are my first choice if the set I require is priced below £18.

6. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Dont get me wrong, I still use them whenever possible. and i dont think they should automatically refund taxes, it just comes accross that they arent making the same efforts to avoid the taxes that other retailers are.

It just seems sad that the great DVD importing pioneers that play were, seem to have forgotten why they are as big as they are today.

I figure about 18 months ago there must ahve been some kinda crack down by customs / the studios that hit play pretty bad and they bore the brunt of whatever happened.

It appears they may turn out to be victims of their own success....

Having said that, the amount of promotion play are doing at the moment, it might not be too long before we see play on the high street. If they can carry the prices from the site to the shop, they could clean up, Big time.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree PLAY are not what they were,but I think their Region 2 operation is now so large and mainstream they can afford to be unconcerned about it.
    They were offering Alias seaon 1 and 2 for £28.99 each,but I am aware that quite often these days they are not the cheapest,so DVD.CO.UK had them for £17.99 each.
    Weighty box sets are now being sent via Parcelforce from a depot in the south of England.Even the Star Trek sets are being sent via Parcelforce,slowing down delivery times even more.
    For almost a year every £18+ item was stopped at customs so I buy pricey R1 elsewhere.
    It used to be good ordering everything from PLAY,however R1 and R2 stuff can often be bought cheaper elswhere so time has to be spent looking at other options.