PlayTV

Emale1999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of updating PlayTV, it appears one of the undisclosed features of the update is macrovision!

Byyeeeeeeeeeeee

What update, when?

Rich

Anyone care to expand on this?!

Sony posted on EU PSN Store update that the Live Chat update for PlayTV will be here tomorrow for (£6.29!!).

No idea about anything beyond that though...

Can't believe they're charging for a XXXXXX update. Only thing worth having is series link:thumbsdow

So downloaded the update, how do you get the series link to work? Can't seem to find it anywhere!! Had to rescan all the channels again to get the community thing to work!

Really wish I'd known beforehand that the update had to be paid for as it might have put me off updating thus preventing the copy protection that came with the update! Out of curiousity I ran the (composite) signal through a macrovision remover but the protection was still there! Hope someone can come up with a workaround!

Byyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee

Can you delete the PlayTV software (press triangle while on the PlayTV icon, not the PlayTV data in the game data folder) & reinstall the original software from your PlayTV disc.

What exactly is the problem with Macrovision? Just curious what the fuss is about.

I was a little peeved that they charged for an unlock code to use after the patch, but I'll find series link useful, & it is only a one off payment of six quid, so it's not too extortionate. Couldn't give a monkeys about the "social" features though.

What exactly is the problem with Macrovision? Just curious what the fuss is about

+1 :confused:

I normally transfer anything i've recorded and want to keep to theXMB and copy to PC via usb.

EDIT - what else does this actually do apart from the completely useless friend/chat crap and smart link which i can live without (+ plus you have to pay for it)

I'm not paying for features i have no need for (smart link - wow its not hard to spend 5 minutes to do this manually) does this have any features for all users regardless if they unlock the so called extras??

Whats the difference with the premium ECG?? I have always been able to get program details for 7 days anyway??

Got a feeling this maybe a pointless update and in which case i will just ignore it

Last edited:
Don't think I'll bother with this update, I'll only use the series link and I'm not paying 6 quid for that feature..I normally use the repeat record function to tape a series, so long as the program's start/end times and the day doesn't change it works great :smashin:

I paid £4.30 as a Plus subscriber and now i've used it more, i think it was worth it. It's very swish and nice

So downloaded the update, how do you get the series link to work? Can't seem to find it anywhere!! Had to rescan all the channels again to get the community thing to work!

Hit 'square' to get the guide, select the programme, then 'record this programme' then 'record this series'.

Well, something else interesting.

It seems that PSN is down for maintenance just now. So everytime I go to the guide, I get the sign-in box!!!

This tvtv stuff is a waste of time AFAIAC. If you've no internet connection, then you have to go through 2 stages to get the normal guide. As far as I can tell, it only gives you additional info on the i+ bit about the genre etc.

The 'chat' features are useless for me (not that I'd use them anyway) as I dont know anyone else that uses PlayTV!!

The series link is good, but a little miffed to have to pay over 6 quid for it.

Can you delete the PlayTV software (press triangle while on the PlayTV icon, not the PlayTV data in the game data folder) & reinstall the original software from your PlayTV disc.

Yeah think so, try it!

Pay for series link? **** that.

I paid for it. I know i's a bit cheeky asking for money for this, but series link is useful for me. I'm always forgetting to set it for the next 7 days, & this will save me from missing things.

Also, for anybody getting this update, be aware it resets the settings, & turns off background recording. Easy to remedy, but annoying if you forget that it's a setting, & when you come to play a game (& it's in the middle of recording something) it tells you that you have to quit PlayTV.

Never used series link before, & already found it useful. Had to quit PlayTV to play F1 2010 last night (before I turned the background recording back on), & so it quit recording half way through a program. It knew that it hadn't recorded it properly, & re-scheduled it for an alternative channel at a later time that day. I'm impressed so far.

Last edited:
Is anyone else finding that, since installing the update, the PS3 no longer automatically turns itself off after recording a scheduled programme?

It sounds like a waste of time, I rarely record a whole series...

Wish they would work on a PlayTV HD, rarther than messing about with what they have :mad: If they don't annouce it soon, I will be getting rid of it and getting a STB.

Last edited:
Think I'll give the update a miss.
I use PlayTV quite a lot and transfer anything that I want to keep to the XMB and then to PC using a USB stick and then use Videoredo to do any necessary editing so it suits me fine as it is at the minute.

Does this update fix the 'corrupted data' (or whatever it says) problem when transferring stuff to the XMB? Not much of a problem as it still plays fine on a PC but it's something that should have been fixed ages ago.

I also noticed that someone on my friends list had the name of the programme he was watching beside the Play TV icon. That must be new too.....could be a bit embarrassing if you're um 'watching' Babestation or something like that though :laugh:

I've got the 2.01 update message within PlayTV (not in the store)... will it charge me if I update?!

No, only if you go to the store and purchase the unlock key

No, I said purchase.

Rich

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom