1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation3. Hi-Def Heaven

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Evil Engineer, May 17, 2005.

1. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The spec sheet has been released for PS3 and in amongst the long list of boring numbers you'll find this:

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Looks like we're in for some serious Hi-def fun. You've got to love the one-up-manship in the console game. Microsoft announce 1080i and Sony just has to go that one better !

All we need now is some 1080p displays (and a second mortgage) !

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm going to be spending so much money next year.....2 consoles, sky hi-def, plasma/lcd TV (hopefully 1920x1080)...sigh :)

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have D-VHS Player & it wasnt cheap. One minute I'm expecting to pay about a £1000.00 for an HDMI equipped Optical High Def Player but now Sony have done us all a huge favor (unless you have to pay £200 for a remote control) !

My guess is that it will be £299 / $349 & will be bought by as many HD Movie Fans as it will be Game Nuts!

Cheers Sony !

NB - Ignore all of the above if the BD Playback is as good as the PS2 DVD Playback!

:clap:

4. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Read a report this morning that the PS3 will sell for "under" 50,000 yen whish is around $465...

5. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Ouch !

If that's anywhere near true Microsoft will clear up. Xbox360 will have been out 3-6 months by the time PS3 launches (more likely 6-9 months by the time it arrives in Europe) and by that time it's likely Microsoft will have hit the £200 mark.

Both PS1 and PS2 originally launched at £299. Anything more and it just won't sell. Even £299 may be too much if the competition is selling for less as Microsoft found out with the original Xbox!

6. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plan as i read somewhere is to launch the ps3 in europe late 2006 and the xbox 360 will come out here around the same as in the us wich is sometime before x-mas. So 12 months would be more likely.

7. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    2x hdmi? this may be a dumbass question but, why??

8. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    2 screens at once. One screen could show a map, the other a car race, like a huge DS! It also said on teletext this morning that you could place them side by side & have a 32:9 ratio screen! Bet it cant do two Hi Def screens at 1080P simultaneously though?

:rolleyes:

9. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Driving two screens is going to take some serious pixel-pushing power. High-performance the PS3's nVidia chipset may be, it's going to have it work cut out for it doing things over two displays in high-definition.

10. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, stick a dyson up the poor things arse and it will hoover the lounge at the same time :rotfl:

11. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than the two screen idea, isn't it more likely that one HDMI port will be used to connect to the TV, and the other to connect to an amp?

12. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    according to the e3 presentation it will be able to display two 1080p pics simultaneously. Personally i think this is overkill, few people have one screen with hdmi inputs let alone two such screens. I also doubt any games publishers will utilise this dual screen feature soon.
    Overall the ps3 will push bluray as THE hd format. HDDVD had a chance if the 360 supported it but now the fickle consumers will most likely opt for sony. I reckon the best chance hddvd backers have is if they offer cheap hddvd drives to microsoft to launch on the 360, but i fear it may be too late.
    Now I know this forum has alot of AV afficionados who poo poo the idea of a games console driving home cinema but the reality is the ordinary public will see the sony as an attractive prospect. it has been mentioned many times that the ps2 certainly helped the dvd format become the standard media format it is today.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    No, because any amp with HDMI inputs will also have outputs to let the video signal continue on to the dispaly.

14. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Dual Screen show off thing is overkill. Amusing nonetheless. PS3 looking good.

15. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    2 HDMI outputs is a great idea. It means you can hook it up to a plasma and a projector at the same time (without having to pay for an HDMI switcher).

16. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if only it had HDMI input and it could be a hub!

17. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The downside of course is all those without HDCP compatible display devices will not be able to access the HD content :thumbsdow

18. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Hi all, is there such a thing as a HDCP auto switching device with say one input and four outputs?, I don't need one right now but when the PS3 comes along in tandem with SKY Hi Def and your existing Hi Def capable DVD player I think there might be a lot of people looking for a well made reliable bit of kit that does this job.

19. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    The PS2 was supposed to to bring in a revolution in gaming using the "emotion" engine.
    Marketing bullsh*t.
    PS3 same deal over hyped.
    How many kids will have a PS3 in there bedroom "and" a HDTV to connect it to for movie viewing? probably incorporate a "down" scaler in there :)

20. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously. Its good reward for thise with HDTV's on the other hand.

21. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Presumably you mean 4 inputs and one output?

Yes, there is such a thing, well, almost (I don't think it's auto switching):

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2249

Gefen do a whole range of HDMI switchers: 2:1, 2:2, 4:1, 4:2, 4:4 and 6:2.

22. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Also the new top of the range Denon amp has HDMI switching.

23. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sony have never marketed the Playstation brand as a kids bedroom console, that's Nintendo's department. Sony's vision with Playstation, and more so with the PS3 is to get gaming back into the living room. The market for the PS3 are people like me, 20-30 year olds who are technology mad with enough surplus income to be able to afford a HD display. And AFAIK the PS3 will work on normal TV's just as well.

Another thing the Sony can do is copy DVD's onto it's harddrive and use the Cell to upconvert them into a High Def version of the film, or a least according to their press conference it can.

As for the Dual Output they reckon it has 4 main uses:
    Allowing you to view films/games in a 33:9 ratio
    Allowing you to have addition game information on the second screen
    Allowing you to video chat with people while playing a game
    Allowing you to connect to the internet and look up a walkthrough while playing a game.

You don't have to have two HD plasmas to do it, you could use a near by computer monitor or something. Also if you have a PSP near by that will apparently receive the signal from the PS3 and that can be used as the second screen. Indeed I get the impression the PSP will be able to connect to your PS3 from anywhere in the world! Wonder if that means if eventually you could access your stored DVD movies from the PS3 harddisc and view them while on holiday! To start with you will definitely be able to pick up broadcasts from people back home using the Eyetoy.

It all sounds very impressive, and will definitely move HDTV into the mainstream a lot faster than if it didn't exist. Just depends if they can pull off their "vision for the future".

Don't forget the likes of 1080p may be expensive now, but Sony thankfully aim to give their consoles as long a lifespan as possible, so in 6 years who knows what HDTV will be like. XBox clearly has plans to have a new console out by then anyway, same old Micro$oft build for today buy something as tomorrow...

Whatever the outcome I think the PS3 is going to be a VERY big nail in HD-DVD's coffin! Just think if it sells like PS2 3 years after it's launch 50+ million people worldwide will have a Blu-ray player in their house! How can HD-DVD expect to match that sort of take up?

24. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Thanks Togad, of course my head meant it the way you read it but my stupid fingers got all a quiver and it came out backwards, I will need one of these just shortly as more Hi Def sources become available.

25. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The most interesting use for the 2nd screen would be for multi-player gaming from the one console. 2 player full screen or up to 8 player split. Or the 2nd tv could be used to display multi screens. tv channel, online oponent, etc....

26. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    But this is/will be true of all upcoming hi-def equipment. Although it seems initially that there may eb a reprieve in that Sky HD and Blu-Ray players may allow for analogue hi-def via component, (non HDCP), ultimately you're gonna an HDCp display with either DVi/HDMI. Also, all HDMI equipment is already HDCP anyway.

27. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    A steal at £4,000....still..I wan't one. Just haven't got the room, speakers to really take advantage of it.

28. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Its a shame that the 2nd output will almost certainly be rarely used and then removed in a future 'cost saving' version of the console.

Its nice that they do try, just a shame the software houses dont adopt a lot of the features and thus cause them to become useless.

29. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - witness the dropping of iLink from the second generation PS2.

30. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does anyone know what the xbox360 will offer in terms of hi-def film playback??