PlayStation3 Hands-On: Kikizo

cooldawn said:
However I'm expecting PlayStation3 to be the greater here. From the Kikizo report I'd suggest that although the PlayStation3 is easier for developers to get to grips with it's still harder to code for than XBOX360 which would tie in with long term appeal.
Virtually every article I've read so far on the subject has had a quote from a developer saying the 360 is easier to code for due to XNA and it's similarity to the PC architecture while once the quirks of the PS3 can be worked out it will indeed be marginally more powerful.

In an interesting sidenote, Edge this month quotes a developer who says 1080p will be virtually impossible to carry out on the PS3 with decent framerates and that only a handful of in-house titles years from now will ever output at this resolution. 720p and 1080i will be the standard just as is on the 360. The true HD line turns out to be more hype from Sony.

Just where is this damn machine? Still not one video of a game being played on it. What gives?

Munkey Boy said:
Virtually every article I've read so far on the subject has had a quote from a developer saying the 360 is easier to code for due to XNA and it's similarity to the PC architecture while once the quirks of the PS3 can be worked out it will indeed be marginally more powerful.

Actually the PS3 uses OpenGL which many games developers are used to (Doom3 etc):
http://www.richterscale.org/index.php/weblog_articles/sony_ps3_to_go_with_standards/

and

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html

Munkey Boy said:

In an interesting sidenote, Edge this month quotes a developer who says 1080p will be virtually impossible to carry out on the PS3 with decent framerates and that only a handful of in-house titles years from now will ever output at this resolution. 720p and 1080i will be the standard just as is on the 360. The true HD line turns out to be more hype from Sony.

Just where is this damn machine? Still not one video of a game being played on it. What gives?

They will be waiting until E3 I feel until the big info release. They don't want the odd video to leak out in dribs and drabs, they will be going for maximum effect and E3 is the place to do it.

CAS FAN said:
They will be waiting until E3 I feel until the big info release. They don't want the odd video to leak out in dribs and drabs, they will be going for maximum effect and E3 is the place to do it.
You know I remember being involved in the discussion a few months back when we were trading possibilities of when the PS3 would finally hit the shelves - I don't think anyone even contemplated such as late release as Autumn in Japan, where does that leave us Europeans!?! I trust E3 will finally put many of these discussions to rest... at last.

It's not just about that though, it's the whole architecture of the machine, which is very unique. Excellent when you get used to it, but for now people understand the PC-alike 360.
This is countered by the fact that the developers will be able to licence third party code - such the Unreal engine - which will effectively give them a level playing field. More so in fact due to the optimisation of the Unreal engine for the PS3 architecture.

CAS FAN said:

Sony's Phil Harrison is a key note speaker at the GDC 2006 conference which runs between the 20th-24th March. He addresses the audience on the 22nd.

His subject : "PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box".

Might get to hear about the whole PlayStation HUB thing.

Apart from that, I think your right, a massive E3 blow-out in May.

Mickus said:
Sony's Phil Harrison...
He's subject : "PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box".

Oh crap ;)

You can see it now can't you-
"You can't get the box until next March but the excitement of PS3 is beyond that. It's better than that. It's truly great that PS3 will be alive in your imagination from this Spring. For a whole year we're taking the box out of gaming."

Gamers are waiting for a talk called 'PS3- here's the box' not more promises and spin. If it's not out until next year then why not get a 360 in the meantime- maybe this is the reason Sony aren't announcing a release date, people have been prepared to wait in the thought that the machine might launch soon- how much longer are people prepared to wait?

Rasczak said:
This is countered by the fact that the developers will be able to licence third party code - such the Unreal engine - which will effectively give them a level playing field. More so in fact due to the optimisation of the Unreal engine for the PS3 architecture.
I'm sure the Unreal engine is strong, but that doesn't sound like a system that encourages flexibility and diversity...?

Mickus said:
Sony's Phil Harrison is a key note speaker at the GDC 2006 conference which runs between the 20th-24th March. He addresses the audience on the 22nd.

His subject : "PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box".

Might get to hear about the whole PlayStation HUB thing.

Apart from that, I think your right, a massive E3 blow-out in May.

I refuse to believe anything that Phil Harrison says now after the old Playstation 2 interview he game to edge which looking back over the PS2 was a pack of lies.

It will be good to get some true game footage from the machine but I do feel that we will be waiting until May for this. The 360 stands to have a great month in March so whether they will just let this pass and focus on drawing peoples attention back in May or whether they will aim to disrupt attention from the 360 in March is to be seen.

CAS FAN said:
I didn't say that they were the same ;). Just that they are both built around IBM's Power PC technology meaning that there will be similarities in their architecture.
Isn't the PS3 built around Toshibas CELL processor? I think IBM are involved but it seems like it's quite a different set up to a power pc cpu.

The 360 has 3x32ghz cores, each capable of 2 hardware threads. Each thread can be programmed to do anything you want it to do.

The PS3 has a main 3.2ghz core and then the 7xSPE vector units. The SPE's are all clocked at 3.2ghz each but aren't as general purpose as the 360's architecture and have to be used in the right way to get the most out of them.

If the full processing power is used on the PS3 then it can theoretically outperform the 360's processor. In the real world this won't happen due to various system bottlenecks elsewhere.

I don't believe we'll be seeing too much difference between general PS3 and 360 games.

bishman said:
Isn't the PS3 built around Toshibas CELL processor? I think IBM are involved but it seems like it's quite a different set up to a power pc cpu.

The 360 has 3x32ghz cores, each capable of 2 hardware threads. Each thread can be programmed to do anything you want it to do.

The PS3 has a main 3.2ghz core and then the 7xSPE vector units. The SPE's are all clocked at 3.2ghz each but aren't as general purpose as the 360's architecture and have to be used in the right way to get the most out of them.

If the full processing power is used on the PS3 then it can theoretically outperform the 360's processor. In the real world this won't happen due to various system bottlenecks elsewhere.

I don't believe we'll be seeing too much difference between general PS3 and 360 games.

Right on all counts bishman :)

bishman said:

Hey I want your 32ghz core 360!! ;)

K.

I guess 4yrs ago (wow that long ago) I saw the birth of PS3 at the Ginza HQ, then it was a home media PC that done everything!
Now that has turned into a 'games' machine which is what we all want.
All this 'too and throwing' gets us nowhere!

What you need to know and believe - is the PS3 will perform the same as an XBox 360 but have a HD capable DVD player as standard, everything else is speculation from the original spec and if I quoted the spec from what I saw 4yrs ago we really will be going backwards!!

Everyone who wants a PS3 will not be disappointed, everyone who thought the 360 to be the same will be! End of story!!

After that it all comes down to game quality - and right now the 360 wins with MotoGP 2006!!

1080p games are way in the future when we all have 1080p displays!!

Don't leap before you can jump!!!

'At the end of the day it will come down to the same old thing....which machine has the best exclusive titles available. I think MS really need to hit gamers with something spectacular around the time of the PS3 launch (Halo 3 is often muted) to draw attention back onto their machine at that time. The PS3 will be starting with the traditional range of safe and fairly unimpressive list of launch games so it will be an ideal time for MS to ruin Sony's "first impression".'

The 360 is out there in the marketplace yet despite the hype I've not been inclined to put my hand in my pocket and buy one. With a couple of exceptions the softwares just not that impressive at the moment. I don't know whats on the horizon but if MS are pinning all their hopes on Halo 3 I pitty them. No doubt it will be a great game, but it's one title.

Were is the Japanease software support? I've had my fill of generic US/European titles, the 360 needs variety.

You'll be able to pick up 90% of the third pary titles on 360, on the PS3, plus the Japanease titles, and first party titels such as GT5.

'If' early PS3 software is lacking you've still got Blu-Ray support, which will be a massive selling point.

By the time PS3 is launched in the UK I'm hoping to be able to pick up a 360 with integrated HD-DVD drive for £150!

SAH said:
Were is the Japanese software support? I've had my fill of generic US/European titles, the 360 needs variety.
!

And I have seen no specific Japanese titles here! The unit will fall in price exponentially!

It's amazing just how long people will wait to save £50!

SAH said:
The 360 is out there in the marketplace yet despite the hype I've not been inclined to put my hand in my pocket and buy one. With a couple of exceptions the softwares just not that impressive at the moment. I don't know whats on the horizon but if MS are pinning all their hopes on Halo 3 I pitty them. No doubt it will be a great game, but it's one title.
Well, they obviously aren't pinning all their hopes on Halo 3, it just happens that will be the biggest selling title on the machine, whenever it gets released, much as PS3 has MGS4. There's still another year of 360 software to come before you get your hands on a PS3, it seems well worth picking one up in the meantime in my eyes....

SAH said:
By the time PS3 is launched in the UK I'm hoping to be able to pick up a 360 with integrated HD-DVD drive for £150!
Well, not going to happen. I'd speculate that by release of PS3 in say, March 2007, the 360 will be £220 for the premium, add another £100 on (at least) for an add-on HD-DVD drive.

Drew2 said:
1080p games are way in the future when we all have 1080p displays!!
Not going to happen! Seriously, don't get your hopes up for this, the PS3 is just not powerful enough to cope with high res textures at 1080p, expect 720p and 1080i for the first couple of years. Not that it matters anyway, as the vast majority don't even have capable displays! Wait for PS4 for that.

Quite looking forward to seeing details of PlayStation Hub (or whatever they end up calling it) and some gameplay footage at E3 2006! It'll all seem a bit closer then...

£663.67 + delivery!! :eek: I think i'll pass.

Crikey, me too. Think I'll wait a couple of months until he hopefully drops the price to around £650.00 inc. ;)

It was that 67p that pushed it over the edge for me :D.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom